Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by dodgeismycar, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

Here is some third hand speculation shared with me, thru a friend and member of a Petty fan group.

"According to my source, it looks more like 2020 simply to have time to get infrastructure in place but there is also a sense of urgency being brought to bear from the outside; I have to assume from Dodge, etc. He seemed to think that someone from Dodge wants to come back sooner than later but the 'boots on the ground' don't think it can be done with a quality effort as soon as 2019."

2. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

I like the old one better:D.
    1970 Rapid Transit System.jpg

3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

So now it's backed up to 2020?. If true, why would they submit the current Charger body for use, when according to sources that an all new Charger car debuts in 2020 as a 2021 model. My prediction. No announcement at Speedweeks and no unveiling in June. Until there is a concrete announcement, I'm still believing it when I see it.

4. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

A smart company would be tightening the belts, getting ready for the next recession.
    Sales evened off last year...

Muther likes this.
  5. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

This

6. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

So Toyota, Ford, and GM are not smart companies because they participate in motorsports?

7. Dodgeguy1961

Dodgeguy1961 Well-Known Member

I don't see a next recession on the horizon at all. I see an improving economy here in the US. It's time to be bold and aggressive and that's what it looks like Sergio is doing.

8. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

Are you asking a question?? I never worked there, or know any insiders to answer that accurately.

For a fact, FCA is belt tightening in advance of the coming recession. Where that plays with any Nascar racing is guesswork at best.

What goes up, must come down! We are over 8 years into economic expansion. Vehicle sales are topped out and are being propped up by increasing incentives. I've seen this story many times before in my career...

JavelinAMX likes this.
  9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

You forgot Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, VW, Mercedes, BMW, Hyundai/Kia,Audi, and of course Porsche.

10. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Just wonderin'...........did you have anything to do with this ad when you worked at AMC? ;).

AMC anti-racing ad.jpg

mdh1776 likes this.
  11. DC-93

DC-93 Active Member

LOL! Slightly before my time there.

Beentherebefore and mdh1776 like this.
  12. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

I'm curious to see how the new tax bill affects the auto industry, both for the consumer and the reduced corporate tax rate.

13. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Not really the place for this, but I'll attempt to give my best answer as it relates to this topic.

My finance and business friends, some of whom are fairly high up in well known companies, all agree.

The "New Normal" is there is no normal!

In years gone by, the savings companies would generate would have gone, in this order, to these purposes:
    1) pay debt
    2) buy back stock
    3) Increase dividends for shareholders
    4) Bonuses for Top executives
    5) fortify liquid assets (investments)
    6) capital expenditures

Employees would not even make the top ten on the former "normal" list

This year it is different. As said there is no "normal" now. Doesn't exist. many companies, (acutely aware of the complexities in how the tax bill has been perceived in the public at large), are getting out front of the issue. They have announced plans to reward employees first, along with other, less traditional purposes. This is in the hopes that they are not singled out as using their tax savings "to enrich the shareholders" as it were (and risk pariah status).

So, trying to bring that all back around to racing and Mopar?

I think the only way we can predict it is to think about Marcchionne himself. He is an Industrialist, and business genius. He will put the good of the future of FCA first, everything else second. In other words, I don't think any FCA tax savings will directly affect racing efforts. Only indirectly would I assume there would be any effect. They would have "extra" money, so (I assume) they'd divide up the pie the same way, except now, certain slices of pie (racing) would be slightly larger. I think that any plans to return to racing in the US would not be aided or hindered very much.

(NOTE: I tried very hard to keep this response politically neutral. Please make the same effort with your responses, and place any feelings you have about the tax bill in another forum. Thanks, Muther.)

#1453 Muther, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  14. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

Good observations. I was more referring to the corporate tax cuts affecting the company as a whole rather than their possible affect on the racing budget, but if the company is doing well that is incentive to spend on things like motorsports. Perhaps a reduction in the corporate rate will allow more sponsors to come on board as well.

15. Mopar Jerry

Level III Supporter

Good afternoon I am looking forward to the new year & anxiously waiting for speed weeks for any & all news re DODGE back in NASCAR hopefully lots to come. (good news of course) To all a very Merry Christmas, happy new year & safe & healthy holidays. MOPAR Always!

16. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Active Member

Dear Santa M.
    I have been a good boy since 2013. Can I have a competitive Dodge racing in the Cup series?
    I will leave you extra cookies this year!!
    Dodge4me

17. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

It's awfully quiet around here. No new rumors, no buzz... Either this is the calm before the storm, or the wheels have come off.

18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Don't worry. It'll heat up the closer we get to Daytona. ;)

Right now it's a quiet time. Come February I would expect some "action".

19. con383

con383 Well-Known Member

Ill say this, At my age its getting to the point where if they don't do anything about some sort of racing to show people and potential customers what they are capable of then I'm history as well,
    Just got back from summernats and the GM and Ford fans went away with a full belly so to speak, We Mopar fans ???? well lets just say it sucks to be us . I don't care what any of the genius's on here say or think if you don't show your stuff then you cant sell it , the tide is changing for FCA and it will get worse until they do something that will excite its customers past present and future, Hope somebody hi up is actually listening because i cant speak Italian and I'm sick of repeating myself.o_O

20. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

Looks like it's 2020 at the earliest based on an interview with NASCAR president Brent Dewar. We should have known 2019 was a pipe dream. This has me doubting it happens at all.

NASCAR President discusses status of Monster Energy, new manufacturers (at http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/01/09/nascar-president-discusses-status-of-monster-energy-new-manufacturers/ )