Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by dodgeismycar, Dec 4, 2016.

1. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

You have to remember they can't announce anything till a manufacturer is ready.

2. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

True, though 2020 falls in line with what we've heard concerning RCR wanting Dodge to wait another year. If something was imminent, as in a 2019 return, I doubt he would have specifically said that 2020 is the earliest a new manufacturer will show up.

3. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

I find it interesting he used "right now" rather than just a "now" for what it's worth. Makes it sound like something could still be coming.

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

DeWar is the former head of all "Brand C" motorsports programs. His "cadence" is probably to keep stalling the entry of any other brands that might send "Brand C" teams to the showers, especially if it means losing one of their long-time supporting teams. Mopar would not be starting from scratch - their 2012 Cup motor is still legal, as far as I know. The bodies are now so limited by standard templates that a Dodge body could probably be made to fit in a few months. That being said, I don't know if the delay in re-entering Cup racing till 2020 is actually desired by the Dodge execs - maybe to hype a new or substantially re-designed model (?).

5. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

From what I've seen across various forums, it's the opposite. Dodge wants back as soon as possible, but RCR wants them to wait another year to further the R&D and be better prepared. Concerning a new model, 2020 would allow for the use of the 2021MY Charger/Challenger. Ford is also likely to bring the Mustang to Cup in 2019 or 2020, so it's likely Dodge would use the Challenger for both series as well.

6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

Childress is so died in wool C I would never put my eggs in his basket. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If they want back in they should look elsewhere. I know that'll not sit well, but again their return is as always a couple years away. Nothing will be announced at this years Daytona. 2020 or 21 seems more likely given the timeline for a new Charger.

7. mdh1776

mdh1776 Active Member

Define 'elsewhere'. Penske just signed for another 5 years with Ford. Hendrick will not leave their top spot at Chevy. Gibbs will not leave their top spot at Toyota. Roush is looking to sell the team, from the accounts I've read, and will likely end up bought by Penske. What top, even mid tier team, does that leave? SHR? No engine shop. FRR? No chassis/engine shop. Ganassi? No engine shop. Dodge wanted a 'one stop shop' to replace Penske. RCR is the only one. So unless they build engines in house, something they're on record of not wanting to do, it's RCR or nothing. I wish they would build engines in house. In my opinion that takes care of a lot of problems. But they apparently don't agree. I was hearing a couple of years ago that Ganassi could be the factory team. So maybe that's still in the works. Dodge would still end up having to invest a fortune to get an engine shop up and running for a team like Ganassi. The way the rumors have dried up all of a sudden it wouldn't surprise me to hear that they have no intention of coming back.

8. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Anyone have knowledge about the Stanton Mopar engine programs? Are they entirely open wheel focused with the 360 and brand T, or has he developed any NASCAR engines?

Now that Kasey Kahne is free of GM control, I wonder if he would be interested in Mopar ties again?

Beentherebefore likes this.
  9. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Active Member

I agree. They might be able to do something with Roush, but again no engine shop I guess. I'm sure someone would build their engines with the right amount of money thrown in.

10. Mopar Jerry

Level III Supporter

Good evening. Just my opinion but I don't think FCA will have anything on their plate which they want to share with us regarding racing or anything else until after the RAM launch, way too much investment there to have racing or anything else take some of the spotlight. I agree that any news will be during speed weeks.
    MOPAR Always!

11. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Active Member

Don't get down now guys. Its gonna happen. Keep the faith. I first got word of a manufacturer change was on the horizon for a ford team after Daytona last February. It happened. I first got word of the RPM/ RCR alliance possibility in July of last year. It happened. People still insist they will be in Dodge no later than 2020.

mdh1776 likes this.
  12. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

It's pretty much hear it this daytona or the following February dayton

13. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

[​IMG]

It wasn't just Stanton. Winning Mopar sprint car/WOO motors were built by Gaerte, Kistler (powered Tony Stewart's teams in 2003 - 2005) and Speedway Engine Development which powered Kasey Kahne's teams for many years. IIRC, Joey Saldana won 21 WOO races for the Kahne team in 2009 using those motors. Why Mopar quit supporting these series is lost on me. We're not talking about a Nascar sized investment here. Nothing is more middle-American than Sprint Car and WOO racing with millions of fans, if you add up the annual attendance at scores of tracks where these series are run. Now Toyota motors are as common as apple pie racing in those series and Mopar motors are as rare as hen's teeth.

The only Stanton-Nascar connection that I'm aware of was that Stanton provided motors for Bob Keselowski's NCTS truck team for awhile. I talked with Bob at the Bakersfield Truck race one year and he indicated mixed results with Stanton's motors - some were the pinnacle of power and some others were not at the top level. Ed may know more about any other Stanton-Nascar connections.

#1474 Beentherebefore, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  14. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Active Member

I have that same poster except mine is signed by Paul McMahan

Beentherebefore likes this.
  15. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

I mentioned Stanton, because I was led to believe they are the only engine builder actively building and selling competitive Mopar engines for circle track racing.

I'd like to hear what's still going on with other builders besides those specializing in drag racing and hot rodders.

16. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I haven't seen/heard about any successful Mopar powered circle track racing team, whether powered by Stanton or one of the other builders, since about 2010.

17. Glenn81

Glenn81 Member

Stanton builds the ASA Mopar crate motor that we have the option to race with. This is to use instead of the GM or Ford crate. I'm not aware of them doing anything else but I'm sure they must be.

18. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

RIDGEWAY - The two ends of Martinsville Speedway will look a bit different when fans fill the grandstands in March. Speedway President Clay Campbell confirmed Friday that the Speedway is taking out rows of seats from the top of the Bill France Tower between Turns 3 and 4, and all of the seats above the press box between Turns 1 and 2.

It's no secret that attendance is down across the country in NASCAR, and Campbell admitted that played into the timing of the seat removal. More so, though, Campbell said the seats being eliminated were too high and difficult for fans to reach, providing logistical issues with facilities in that area. Eliminating the seats removes that problem.

19. ChargerZ

ChargerZ Member

The removal of seats also lowers the tax burden on the tracks,

GasAxe and Beentherebefore like this.