AF: Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.? | Page 9 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge Ready To Return To NASCAR in the U.S.?

Discussion in 'Current Motorsports / Racing News' started by dodgeismycar, Dec 4, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Stephen Cole Smith is a pretty knowledgeable motorsports writer who is a regular contributor to "Autoweek". I am a little surprised that he missed that Dodge did race for a year in Nascar with EFI.
    Outside of that, this article is spot-on, imo.

Dodge Wants Back into NASCAR? Fine. But What Now?

pentastarpunk likes this.
  2. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

OK, there maybe more smoke here.
    The Drive states that NASCAR and Dodge's"Tim K" had a meeting today at the NAIAS.
    Hmmmmm.....

mdh1776 and pentastarpunk like this.
  3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

The breaking news today is Carl Edwards is to announce his retirement from NASCAR tomorrow. Carl drives for JGR (Toyota). If Dodge had a worthwhile team maybe they could have convinced him to drive for a few more years. Carl retiring from NASCAR is a very big surprise. Carl was one of the final four in last years (2016) championship chase.

4. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

OK, nobody knows why Carl decided to retire, so it is just hope on your part.

Secondly, Carl is a very personal, quiet guy. He has been a great spokesperson for his sponsors, but he does not publicly display his life and antics for all to see.

So, let Carl do what he wants.

There is no Dodge in NASCAR until after Sergio retires.

danbek and Doug D like this.
  5. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Well-Known Member

Well, I will say is I don't know when it happens, but it is more likely to happen now than it was. It might not be at the stage it was in '13 when Kurt was signed by Andretti Autosport to drive a Charger in 2014 obviously that all fell apart at the last second. But provided nothing changes I think its a safe bet Dodge is the next manufacturer to join or rejoin Nascar ever how you choose to look at it.

6. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

There are at least a half dozen articles on this linked @ Jayski's. Speculation runs from getting more concerned about wrecking (he had 5 of them last year including the one that knocked him out of the championship @ Homestead) now that he is a new father to his keen interest in joining the Fox Sports race coverage team. Nascar history is replete with stories of drivers who have "retired" but then decide they miss the racing too much and return. Should he be one of those and is fishing for a ride in a year or two and if Dodge does decide to return to Nascar with a top team looking for a top driver......................well, there might be a potential linkup there. Those are still some pretty big ifs.

Doug D, mdh1776 and pentastarpunk like this.
  7. dodgeismycar

The Carl Edwards is also a very intelligent engineer as well. His experience/ education could be very useful if Dodge is looking to start a team.
    Ray Evernham was a pretty good choice to get Dodge back. Maybe lightning can strike twice.

8. mdh1776

mdh1776 Well-Known Member

According to this article, Dodge executives privately met with NASCAR at the Detroit Auto Show on Monday morning.

Exclusive: Dodge Execs Meet with NASCAR Execs

Edit: I see dodgeismycar mentioned this already, but I'll leave my post with the link.

Dodgeguy1961 and pentastarpunk like this.
  9. dodgeismycar

I wonder who called for the meeting?
    Mike Helton was in attendance according to Jayski.
    It should be mentioned that no fights broke out!

10. mdh1776

This is being discussed on another forum, and I'm taking with a large grain of salt...

A member with a source in the sport is saying an existing Chevrolet team has been courted to lead the Dodge return, and specifically mentions that RCR is staying with Chevy. His statements indicate that Ganassi is in line to become the Dodge team. Mark McArdle was just hired as competition director at Ganassi. McArdle has been heavily involved in engine programs, Dodge included. He ran the Evernham engine shop, and has experience at Illmor as well. Could this be another step towards a Dodge return?

It is also described as a "when", not an "if" Dodge returns, with the intention to have Dodge on the track by 2018, though that could mean Trucks before moving to the other two series.

Chip Ganassi Racing hires new competition director

11. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Courting and switching are two very different things.

As the saying goes, "It ain't official 'til it's official."

DC-93 likes this.
  12. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

If Challenger has an approved body for Infinity now, it would make sense to begin there. I would also hope the Challenger would be preferred for Cup since it is really the only one of the Detroit three that fits the "traditional" series specs of a full-size 2-door, RWD and V8 powered.

13. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

what forum is that?

14. mdh1776

Dodge?

15. 04RAMSRT10

04RAMSRT10 Well-Known Member

Just want to say that I could not have been a bigger fan of Dodge in Nascar. I was so sad when all fell apart and the resources where not put into the program to keep them in it after the 2012 season. Then they dropped out of IMSA after a championship there. Nascar appears to be on the down swing, losing sponsors, fan and tv viewership is way off. Is this a good time to go back into that sport? How many eat and drive weekends could you put on across the country for what that program will cost. That program would put the product in the hands of the consumer with no sales pressure.

16. Robert J Sublett

Robert J Sublett Well-Known Member

pentastarpunk and mdh1776 like this.
  17. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Today's Nascar is a losing proposition. Nothing to be gained from a marketing perspective.

18. SE Charger

SE Charger Well-Known Member

Do you any facts to back this up with market research?

19. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

20. SE Charger

SE Charger Well-Known Member

I didn't see one shred of marketing numbers, he said it himself, Corvette would be a lesser car without racing, with guys like Lutz why play in the same sand box if you ain't willing to step up to their level? ever get sick of reading Ford vs Chevy articles? Wonder why the Challenger isn't in those articles more often? It even goes to the local car shows, There were 30 or so Corvettes, 15 Mustangs and 3 Challengers (1 Camaro) at the most recent show I went to. But I guess if we calculate success of exposure just in sales if the vehicles on the track and not the company as a whole you might as well stay on the sidelines with your tail tucked between your legs. Last time I went to Daytona when Dodge was still on the track there were huge presentation tents from Toyota and Chevy. Ford and Dodge I guess didn't have the time or ability to match them and get people looking at their vehicles. So you are right, why participate, cause if decide it is for not and don't make an effort we will always be beat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.