AF: Dodge replacing Journey with Stelvio based vehicle | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge replacing Journey with Stelvio based vehicle

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Fast Eddie, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

What's this "Stelio" thing you keep refering to?

Stelvio Pass (at https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/stelvio-pass )

BASONE88 and tabutler like this.
  2. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Given that there is a pending merger, probably shouldn't be expecting a deluge of new products. The fact that they're even talking about a new Dodge CUV should be a positive thing in that light.

3. James A

James A Active Member

I'll believe it when they announce it. This has been a rumor since the days of a 2019 large car refresh, a large car redesign for 2021, an I6 debut in the GC... When it's announced, or maybe when we see the spy shot, I'll believe it.

4. mlgreen

mlgreen Member

Donte Lindsey likes this.
  5. pug-man

pug-man Well-Known Member

Well....if we can't spell how we supposed to do anything? :))

6. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Stelvio-based? it's probably more correct to say "new Grand Cherokee based", as the next GC will be built on the next generation of the Stelvio's architecture, called "Giorgio Global". The new Mack Avenue plant is being set up to build the Giorgio Global Jeep vehicles, so a Dodge version is possible ...

AlfaCuda and Tony K like this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

But “Grand Cherokee” based means too heavy and too many compromises for an on-road vehicle - or so we’ve been told as the reason there aren’t versions of other CUVs/SUVs for other brands.

Adventurer55 and page2171 like this.
  8. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Next generation? I'd suppose "next iteration" to be a more accurate term. Giorgio isn't that mature.

Adventurer55 likes this.
  9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I would like the new six to be either Tornado or Slant, but they won't, any more than they called the new four cylinder the Hurricane... which as a Jeep motor would be very much called for. Indeed, I got called out for using the term, when it is clearly the poetically stated “2.0 liter four-cylinder turbocharged gasoline engine.” So we have EcoDiesel and 2.0 liter four-cylinder turbocharged gasoline engine.

The Magnum would have sold better with a higher roof, but it never got one; likewise, it hugged the ground, probably for performance reasons, which made it clearly a wagon and not a crossover. The new one will not make those mistakes, I am sure.

G.G. core supposedly created by both sides; first incarnation finished by Italians; second incarnation by Americans.

10. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Giorgio Global is no other than Giorgio Hybrid. Even Giulia and Stelvio will switch to it with MCA.

Born for BEV with clever rear suspension scheme which will also be used for PHEV versions.
    This part can be found in quarterly conference call transcript but some may re listen it if it's still available.

11. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I'd like to think the inline-6 is more likely than the 2.0 to get a marketing name since it'll replace the Hemi, which does have name recognition, in a lot of vehicles.

Tony K likes this.
  12. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Mike Manley:

The Giorgio platform is a phenomenal platform and has done well underpinning Giulia and Stelvio. Remember, what we need to do though is make sure that it's capable of full electrification going forward. So there's been significant changes to that platform to enable, not just a full battery electric, but plug-in hybrid.

We have changed the suspension. We have updated all of the electrical architecture in that so that it can take the next-generation infotainment as well as very, very advanced high-tech features. That level and that degree of change and remember, it's a rear wheel drive platform. And if you look across the two companies, there's not many rear wheel drive platforms. So it's incredibly likely that it would be required going forward. But that level of change means an impairment to the original platform.

13. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

It's very simple. 2.0 is a GME T4. It's even named like that in spare parts catalogue. I don't see need to change.

It's similar for smaller engines which are GSE T3 and GSE T4 in spare parts catalogue.

I do believe that GME T6 may got a marketing name especially if we know that it will be an exclusive for North American brands. Currently there are no plans for use in Italian FCA cars. They will have mix of GME T4 and V6 90° which is already in use by Alfa but will also be in use by Maserati in various versions.

cygnus, Ryan and ScramFan like this.
  14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

You wouldn't, really, because you're a Fiat/Alfa guy. It's different over here. Remember how Americans didn't go wild with nostalgia over the Fiat 500? It's that sort of thing. There's lots of brand equity in engine names.

BTW, the official marketing name was not GME T4. Even that would have been better than the official press-release term.

Hurricane and Tornado are historic terms for Jeep. Re-use would have made sense. Remember, a large part of Jeep's appeal is the history.

There's no reason why the Hurricane name wouldn't be used in just Jeeps, and not other vehicles (not that it's in any other vehicles.)

Weren't you the person who said the GME T4 was totally different in the European cars and we shouldn't go around comparing them, any more than the Pentastar V6?

Adventurer55, jclick, Chebby7 and 6 others like this.
  15. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Engine naming? AFAIK that's mostly American thing and even American brands are now using technology naming and not one particular engine. EcoBoost is technology naming, petrol turbo engine with direct injection.

It's a GME T4. I don't see why we can not call it like that.

ScramFan likes this.
  16. hmk123

Level III Supporter

The other day I saw a Jaguar XF wagon. Looked very stylish and unique. And I just saw a black Magnum SRT8 on the road. They still have such a presence! You don't see many on the road anymore. Of course, I just have to look in my garage, but usually it is tugged away in there under a cover. :)

pug-man, MoparJoe, HotCarNut and 2 others like this.
  17. GuidoFL

GuidoFL Well-Known Member

Wait ! Big changes coming in 3 years ................ LoL !

UN4GTBL and willy4110 like this.
  18. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

19. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

I was just passed by the first Stelvio I've ever seen on the street. I got a glimpse of a Stelvio just prior to Allen Samuels Alpha-Fiat shutting his doors. Still only one Guilia on the street several months ago. Maybe Dodge needs the little used platform.

20. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Two days ago I saw two Stelvios and one Giulia waiting for left turn on semaphore.