Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Door moulding, 1986 C27 body (convertible)

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by 85lebaront2, Nov 5, 2017.

1. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

Does anyone have a good way to get the lower moulding on the doors loose, hopefully without destroying either it or the retainers? I have tried the normal method and checked my body volume of the 1986 FWD car FSM. It appears that they are supposed to lift up and off at the top but mine will only come up maybe 1/4" and the top doesn't want top move away from the door.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

If it is pushing up a 1/4" and feels 'springy', try pushing it down on it while gently prying the molding away from the body to see if it will release.
    Use a plastic or wooden edged tool so as not to mar the paint.
    The retainer clip likely looks like this:
    AM-3756814140.jpg
    If it is oriented with the springy whiskers facing up, then it pushes down to release the molding at the lower edge.

3. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

It has to go up, down won't move any at all. I may just see if I can get new clips as a precaution. Paint, after 31 years it needs painting, that is why I am removing the trim.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Then the whiskers must be facing down. Lift up and pry out at the top edge of the molding. See if you can get it started off the retainer clip. Once started, it should be easier to unclip the rest of the way.

5. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

That is my plan, just got back from a road trip to Pittsville MD, roughly 160 mile run. I will possibly try tomorrow, but we have an off-year election then so it may be Wednesday.

6. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

ImperialCrown, you were correct, the moulding had to be pushed down, and needs to be done with the door open. Of the 12 clips, all but 4 the whiskers were either already missing or so fragile they fell off when I cleaned them. I am hoping I can find a replacement other than the place on eBay, they want $14.50 apiece for them. I have a couple of sources I normally use, but neither of them show it. Thanks for the help!

ImperialCrown likes this.
  7. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I have found that by Googling the actual Mopar part # can give a good range of availability sources. Look at figure 23-1700 here to identify the part and use the part numbers:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD2/82-96PassCar/86p.PDF
    Item #4 offers 3 different retainer part numbers. Item #31 has a before/after date of 12/9/85. A 'package' would include the molding and the retainers. AR = as required.
    Arizona Parts shows all the retainers listed under item #4:
    http://arizonaparts.com/database/partlist.txt

8. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Sometimes if you can see the clip then it's easier to get the trim off. Is there a picture of the clip in the eBay auction?

9. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

ImperialCrown, Martin does not have any, the actual PN molded on the clip is 6003842 and as yet I haven't found any. I do have the parts catalog pdfs, downloaded them from Turbododge.com which I have been a paid member of for over 10 years. I joined that one and when it first started Turbo-Mopar.com. My license plate in my avatar should give you a clue.

10. andybuzz2u

andybuzz2u Member

Is somebody actually re-popping the 6003844 6003834 retainers? I need two they also broke while pulling the molding off. As a side note don't forget the Philips head retaining screw, I almost did.