Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Door panel Partial Restoration.

Discussion in 'Cherokee, Liberty, Nitro' started by poorboy_616, Jan 23, 2016.

1. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

As always, I'll give you instructions on how to remove the panel.

You'll need:
    #2 Phillips screwdriver, preferably about 8 inches long
    A pick or pocket screwdriver
    Panel Clip release tool or your fingers if they are strong enough
    Small socket or flat blade screwdriver
    a very large, clean, flat work area to set the panel on

Ever since I bought the Red Wagon nearly two years ago, the speaker bezels in the front doors have been bothering me. The louvers were broken or missing and in just not good shape. I removed the remaining louvers months ago and couldn't figure out an elegant solution.

I got the driver side done today.

I picked up a sheet of Decorative Aluminum from the Homeless Despot (Home Depot) a few days ago and just needed the time to get it done.

I needed to be able to drive thing today during the project, so I put the handle and armrest back in while I was working with the panel. The latch handle/control switch assembly is held on with three Phillips screws. The screw behind the latch release is a different thread than the two on the switch end.

Pull the handle/switch assembly out far enough to remove the plastic retainer and unplug the switches. To release to the lock rod clips on the back side of the handle and lock lever, you'll need a pocket screwdriver. Move the part of the clip that is along the lock rod off to the side (it will audibly click and move off the rod) and remove the rods from the handle and lock levers. Now you can set the switch assembly off to the side.

The Armrest is held on with two Phillips screws in the lower section.Once those are out, rotate the arm rest 90 degrees and pull it free from the door. Now set it aside.

Around the outer edge of the panel are quite a few "Christmas tree" style panel retainers. Use the panel tool or your fingers to pull these free. Slide the panel toward the latch end of the door and lift the panel from the window channel. The panel is now free, set it on a large, clean flat area, interior (pretty side) down.

[​IMG]

My ultimate prize, the bezel. The Bezel is held on to the panel with push clips on the Bezel studs from the back side of the panel. Once those are off (use the pocket screwdriver to carefully work them off.) Once the clips are off, the bezel will fall off when you pick up the panel. If it doesn't, just work it off the panel with your fingers.
    [​IMG]

A little work with the file and some sandpaper to clean up the flash left from the louvers and we are ready to commence.
    [​IMG]

Measure twice, cut once....
    [​IMG]

Dry fit before final trimming.
    [​IMG]

Final fit and epoxy. I applied epoxy to the short sides only, as the bezel fits very tightly against the door panel when properly installed. Place the Bezel back in it's hole in the panel, lay the panel on the flat surface again (Pretty side with the bezel down) and reinstall the clips on the studs using a small socket or work them on like I did with the flat blade screwdriver. Once they are lightly seated against the back of the panel. Firmly seat them.
    [​IMG]

Completed panel, installed. Install of the panel is the reverse of removal. Just be sure the lock rods are in place and the clips are clipped back over the rods.
    [​IMG]

Not too shabby!! I'll tackle the passenger side tomorrow.

Passenger side for comparison. Not so pretty. That will change. :)
    [​IMG]

Zagnut27 likes this.
  2. poorboy_616

poorboy_616 Mr. Fixit
    Level 2 Supporter

Small update.

I got the Passenger side done the same day. I will need to find new(er) door panels or just make my own. The Fiberboard they are made out of is beginning to fail, mainly tearing and suffering from Delamination.

For now, they work great.