AF: Doug Demuro on PT Cruiser and his age and lack of experience with cars | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doug Demuro on PT Cruiser and his age and lack of experience with cars

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by FThorn, Jan 10, 2020.

?

Your opinion on PTs?

This poll will close on Mar 27, 2020 at 1:02 PM.
  1. more positive than negative

94.6%
  2. more negative than positive

5.4%
  1. FThorn

FThorn Well-Known Member

I started watching Demuro in Nov 2013. Or at least started suggesting my car-loving friends might want to at that stage.

His recent Mercedes Benz 500E and PT Cruiser videos that I watched, being a former MB E class owner of that generation, those have many instances that Doug shows his ignorance of at least older cars, perhaps more, and/or the progression of the design and engineering that have brought us to today's features.

I won't nitpick each one, because it was painful to sit through those enough the first time, frankly.

I'm the type of guy that finds something to like with almost every vehicle; except Renault LeCar, Smart TwoFour, Chevy Spectrum (nee Isuzu I-Mark).

I liked things about the PT (In this case GT) Cruiser. But the deal-killer for me was the seating position and where all the controls fell, especially on the manual shifting of the turbo GTs. Much like the current Fiat 500 (Abarth), I just can't get comfortable.

I really liked some of the perennial special editions.

YouTube link to Doug's video something The Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Was the Best Version of the Worst Car (at http://bit.ly/DemuroGTCruiser )

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Anyone who thinks the PT was a bad car, was not driving when they came out or is a total snob, IMHO.

As for the GT, I had one and I never had a shifting problem - different body shapes perhaps? It did have some traction issues until I ejected the OEM tires and got better, cheaper ones. (Goodyear Eagle F1 All-Season rather than Goodyear Eagle RS-A). What's funny is those tires were terrific on our Neon adn 300M, but on the PT they had zero wet or snow traction, and far too little dry traction, and were worn out within 20,000 miles (60,000 on the Neon—they were actually still tread-good but had started to show the effects of the sun — and 40,000 on the M). The regular PT with low-pressure turbo was in many ways a better car; the PT-GT really had too much power for the chassis and the extra-wide tires made turning circles incredibly wide.

It was a good, comfortable, remarkably spacious car with an exterior footprint close to a Fiat 500, so parking was insanely easy; it could go where normal cars could not, yet hold enough gear for a week's vacation wtih two little kids. It was very narrow side to side but efficient so you could fit three child seats side by side. When GM made a copy, it had the exact same gas mileage and just about the same acceleration; and the same magazines that whined about the base model’s slow speed ignored that exact same acceleration on more-favored cars. It was, again, a car of its time.

As for reliability, it started out very well, but over time there were indeed some issues. I think the expectations based on those early JD Power and Consumer Reports ratings made the average repair records of later years seem worse than they were.

LoganSix, UN4GTBL, FThorn and 3 others like this.
  3. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Not a fan of the guy. Several of is observations and opinions are just that his opinions. Logic tells you why the beep happens when placed in reverse. People don't pay attention and reverse is slightly over from 1st. Don't want anyone mashing the gas at a stop light only to find out that your were actually in reverse. The JL 6 speed suffers from a similar problem. Even with the lift lever requiring the engagement of reverse you can find yourself acutely playing with it at a light and inadvertently put it into reverse. He would have kept me intrigued if this comment and others he made were backed up with a more reasonable complaints and explanations. If it had been about placing the reverse so close to 1st and the need for the warning chime that I could agree with.

But my opinion is just that, mine.

UN4GTBL, FThorn, Dave Z and 1 other person like this.
  4. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

I owned a 2001 Limited M/T and it was a great car.

Doug reviews of older cars are less than perfect, but that is opinion/thoughts on them.

For the review of the PT, it was rather harsh, he complaining about the quality of a 15 year old car! You can't judge a 2005 based on what is available currently. Look at was available for 2005 and the PT starts to look a lot better, Pontiac Vibe anyone?

Anyhow, I am now looking at used PTs'!

FThorn likes this.
  5. saltydog

One more thing, Doug mentioned the B pillar hooks....those are not just there for randomness! Those are for the rear seats when they are folded....:rolleyes:

6. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

My brother owned a base 2001 PT Cruiser: he loved it. That thing was built like a tank, and many of the interior ideas were revolutionary back then. It was an economy car that didn’t look or feel cheap. Drove it for 60,000 miles without any issues.

Main drawback was the fuel economy: he was never able to get more than 20 MPG from that 2.4L + 4-speed auto.

UN4GTBL, FThorn and saltydog like this.
  7. turbonetic

turbonetic Member

Demuro isn't a car guy, he's an opportunist that does videos in laymans terms for layman viewers. His opinion doesn't matter.

FThorn, Chase300 and ScramFan like this.
  8. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Not a huge fan of the design now but my parents had one when I was younger and it was a very practical vehicle. It was painted in Cool Vanilla. My dad and I found little things to modify like interior trim pieces and such. I was probably in first grade and that was around the time I started becoming interested in cars, so the PT helped contribute to that.

9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Former coworker bought a PT when they first came out to replace his Cavalier. He made sure to get the 5 speed manual. (I believe he ordered his). He did test drive the automatic and didn't like the slower acceleration. He loved his 5 speed though. I don't think he got much better fuel mileage with the 5 speed though. Maybe a 1-2 mpg better in local driving.

FThorn likes this.
  10. saltydog

Oh yeah MPG...not that great.

My 2001 with M/T would get about 19 city and 25-26 on the highway

FThorn likes this.
  11. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

The thing that you need to remember about Doug is that without harsh criticisms or overwhelming positives, his videos would essentially be " This car is ok, not great, not terrible, but ok". That doesn't get viewers, and thus doesn't pay his bills.

An example is the Hellcat Widebody review that he recently did. He did mention how it's great that you can get 707 horsepower for 5 series money, and understood why some people would buy it instead, but still complained about how the plastic areas or other bits weren't good enough for the price. Without a little controversy, people won't link his videos, and say "Can you believe this guy who wears 2 tshirts at the same time?" He's Entertainment just like Hoovie or RCR, and not to be taken seriously.

LoganSix, UN4GTBL, FThorn and 4 others like this.
  12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Meh, don’t get too hung up on his “flair” in his videos. All YouTubers have some type angle that resonates with their subscribers. Some may not care for him...I find him annoying...but he’s got 3 million subscribers IIRC so a lot of people do like his videos obviously, and he gets tons of views on his vids. Can’t argue with success.

Personally, I get more out of his videos by turning down the sound and just looking at the vehicles. Lol.

FThorn, Satellite Saint and Tony K like this.
  13. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

Only experienced as a rental (4sp auto) A very fun, versatile little car. Simply amazing what it was able to accommodate. Fuel mileage wasn't the best but not that bad imo; I did wish Chrysler offered a 5sp auto, although a larger fuel tank would've made me happier with less frequent fill-ups.

#13 XRT2SRT, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    FThorn likes this.
  14. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Doug is the type of guy that gets "Doug is the type of guy" jokes by viewers whose only reason for watching is to make "Doug is the type of guy" jokes.

15. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

Have over 452,000 miles on my PT and still enjoy it. When I offer to replace my wife’s 04 PT she always responds, “No, I love that car”. Different cars for different people.

eaglecars, BASONE88, GLHS60 and 5 others like this.
  16. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

The PT was a great vehicle. I remember when it first came out it was one of those "gotta have" vehicles. People were travelling far and wide just to get one. I also think it was ahead of its time looking at the vehicle landscape out there today. As per normal Chrysler let it die instead of evolving and improving. It would still be relevant today.
    So sad.

BASONE88, Tony K, UN4GTBL and 2 others like this.
  17. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

As per normal DaimlerChrysler let it die instead of evolving and improving. It would still be relevant today.
    So sad.

Fixed it for you.

XRT2SRT, eaglecars, BASONE88 and 4 others like this.
  18. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

;)

FThorn and Doug D like this.
  19. crouchta

crouchta Well-Known Member

I ordered a 2001 Limited and had to wait 12 months for my dealer to earn allocation. It was worth the wait. Easily the most versatile vehicle I have had for its size. You could just keep stuffing things in. We traded for a Caravan when the need for more seats came along. I bought a second, a 2004, as a commuter car a few years later. This one was the same Patriot Blue as my '01, but was a manual transmission. Both were great vehicles, both were a blast to drive, and the body style, in my opinion, is timeless. The "update" set the car back several years in my estimation.

UN4GTBL and FThorn like this.
  20. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I bought a 2002 5spd off the lot brand new and my oldest daughter still has it. Timing belts are its issue, it is on its third one with about 160,000 or more miles, and I put new suspension all around because it was getting tired, but the interior, other than the dashboard, looks new still. My mother-in-law bought one after riding in ours and the youngest daughter still has it with about the same miles on it. The same was done to it, along with motor mounts and interior is still outstanding looking. It is an automatic, and does get just a little less mileage at around 24mpg, the 5spd gets around 27mpg most of the time.
    The one thing I wish they would have done with the PT Cruiser was installed the 3.3/3.8 under the hood. I know a little bit of sheetmetal needed to be moved for clearance, but the extra 60-70 hp would have made it a much greater contender overall, but I still love the little cars.

FThorn likes this.