AF: Doug Demuro on PT Cruiser and his age and lack of experience with cars | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doug Demuro on PT Cruiser and his age and lack of experience with cars

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by FThorn, Jan 10, 2020.

?

Your opinion on PTs?

This poll will close on Mar 27, 2020 at 1:02 PM.
  1. more positive than negative

94.5%
  2. more negative than positive

5.5%
  1. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Doug is a putz.

Actually, never heard of the guy!

But, from what I have just read, that makes me qualified to an opinion.

2. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Honestly I can't stand Doug Demeuro and I do not get his appeal. He's like that one person you know who is a giant know it all and doesn't know how when it's time to stop talking. He somehow gets access to the most ridiculous vehicles yet his presentation and production values are completely amateur. He really does seem to have fallen into that trap of most auto journalists where they've driven supercars and now they benchmark everything against them. Does a PT Cruiser seem crappy after you've been driving Ferraris and Lamborghinis? Probably.

I much prefer the guys at The Straight Pipes for more balanced reviews. They seem to keep a grounded perspective on looking at vehicles based on who is going to be buying them.

Tony K, FThorn, Dave Z and 1 other person like this.
  3. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

Why should I care what this Doug guy's opinion is? A Chevy, Ford or Import lover is of course gonna think Chryslers are crappy.

Chrysler needs a new PT Cruiser to compete with the Kia Soul. The Kia Soul has no direct competitor in the US market.

UN4GTBL, FThorn and Bill Sample like this.
  4. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I just occasionally watch his videos for the “quirks and features” section, not for his opinion. Actually I usually turn it off before he gets to his ridiculous Doug Score.

Tony K and FThorn like this.
  5. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

This is the redesigned PT Cruiser :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BASONE88, XRT2SRT, saltydog and 13 others like this.
  6. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Active Member

That looks like a winner. I hope PSFCA let's the Chrysler brand have a new PT.

FThorn, 06PTElectricBlue and tomit like this.
  7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Well, you know what they say....opinions are like aardvarks....everybody’s got one. Wait, I don’t have an aardvark. Do you have one? I’m thinking aardvarks may not be right....(scratches head, realizes it’s almost 3:30 in the morning, goes back to bed).

:p

Tony K, FThorn, Dave Z and 4 others like this.
  8. Bill Sample

Bill Sample Well-Known Member

Still enjoying my '08 PT convertible that I bought new, ordered just before the convertibles went out of production. I probably got one of the final 5-speed manuals built. Usually could get around 27 mpg average, up to 30 mpg on trips. Car lives a charmed life - stays off the road and inside during the snow season.

BASONE88, saltydog, FThorn and 3 others like this.
  9. georgef

georgef Well-Known Member

I think you left out part of that saying, isn't it: "Well, you know what they say....opinions are like aardvarks....everybody’s got one, and most of them stink."

Tony K, UN4GTBL, FThorn and 3 others like this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Where'd that come from?

FThorn likes this.
  11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

One way to do that is to express extreme and stupid opinions; then you get people like us tuning in to argue about what a jerk he is. TTAC started that way. It's far better now.

12. 06PTElectricBlue

How many people have smelled an aardvark :eek::rolleyes:o_O:D

FThorn likes this.
  13. 06PTElectricBlue

FThorn likes this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Extreme, stupid, and/or weird makes for must-see-tv...er....YouTube. :D One can gain lots of subscribers and views by airing out their dirty laundry too (real or invented). You used to be able to pay services to gain you followers on Instagram, though they supposedly have cracked down on that.

One of the bigger YouTubers had given advice on starting your own channel, and they had said to just be yourself. Sooner or later your message will resonate with viewers and your channel will grow (or it won’t...lol). He said, don’t try to be something that you’re not. My wife and I have a small family channel, and we have maybe 200 subscribers...not a lot by any means, but it’s not intended to be big at this point. We’re just doing our thing, being ourselves...mainly so our own family can stay connected.

If Doug is just being “himself”, well then....wow....just wow. :p

15. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

Doug is a millennial. Most millennials hated the PT Cruiser because their grandparents loved it. Doug worked as a sales exec for Porsche so he is not going to look kindly at a car this low on the rung.
    The PT was really a car central to the retro craze and was the first CUVs. It sold 1.6 vehicles and was Chrysler’s last design. It is a love it or hate it car due to the styling. It will always be that way.

Tony K, UN4GTBL, FThorn and 1 other person like this.
  16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Holy cow, I thought there was no way he could be a millennial, he looks older than me (46). The dude is only 31! I guess he just acts like an annoying old fart. :D

Honestly, I had really considered buying a PT a few times over the years, especially when I was moving around a lot for work and had to transport everything with me. My girlfriends and later my wife hated the PT though...lol.

Tony K and FThorn like this.
  17. george w

Level III Supporter

To own one is to love one. On the other hand after 100K miles lots of expensive ( because of access and labor ) work is required, An electric PT would be almost perfect ! The practicality of this little car is remarkable. Lots of space for both passengers and some cargo without feeling cramped in such a compact package.

18. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

It was a "minivoyager" packed in a retro hot rod style- a brilliant idea since it could attract atleast 2 customer Groups and with the GT turbo it found a third Group.
    - it was quite good for its time but dc never let it evolve like it should have, instead they cheapened it out until it died.
    They handled it in a very disgraceful way...

19. FThorn

FThorn Well-Known Member

WOW YOU WIN!

06PTElectricBlue and djsamuel like this.
  20. 06PTElectricBlue

Yep, it could have been so much more if DC would have kept going with it :)

This version would have been an instant success :cool:

[​IMG]

saltydog, UN4GTBL, FThorn and 2 others like this.