AF: Doug Demuro on PT Cruiser and his age and lack of experience with cars | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doug Demuro on PT Cruiser and his age and lack of experience with cars

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by FThorn, Jan 10, 2020.

?

Your opinion on PTs?

Poll closed Mar 27, 2020.
  1. more positive than negative

94.9%
  2. more negative than positive

5.1%
  1. LoganSix

LoganSix Well-Known Member

RCR's PT Cruiser review was a great episode. The best parts were not about the car, but the rest of what he said, that was sort of related to the car.

saltydog and FThorn like this.
  2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I think the a PT Cruiser was supposed to be flop from the beginning, the way DC treated them and made it a Chrysler instead of a Dodge (or Plymouth, for that matter). It was said to be a halo car and sell about 40K a year tops, and after nine years and other than the turbo and convertible, slight plastic nose changes, running lights, tiny interior changes, it still sold 1.6 million, which is rather amazing. If I get the time and finish my other projects, I'm finding a 3.8 V6 to stuff under the hood, which is what this car really needed to remain ultra desirable in the driving experience category.

3. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

This is another version that could have done well :cool:

[​IMG]

AvengerGuy, 66coronet, danbek and 9 others like this.
  4. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Any reason the 3.8? Is it just because it's a cam-in-block that would fit better than say a 4.0? Or better yet, get the 2.4 turbo one (or put a 2.4 turbo in) and use the infinite aftermarket mods available to easily beat 400WHP.

saltydog and FThorn like this.
  5. Donte Lindsey

Donte Lindsey Active Member

I had to down vote him. It seems like he always lacks information and like most people who review Chrysler's are biased. These cars came out while I was in the 10th grade and they were so awesome everyone wanted one. I also recall seeing GT badges on PT Cruisers with the turbo engines.

6. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

Turbocharged Mopars of New Jersey (at https://www.allpar.com/i/meets/NJ/turbocars.html )

Mine was featured in an Allpar article about 10 years ago. It's the last car mentioned. I still have it. It's in the garage awaiting a new clutch.

I watched Mr. Regular's movie, and while I like him, I think he puts forth the notion in his video that PTs are a symbol of poverty. When they came out, that was not the case. They sold for way over sticker. The GT that I own was 28K new in 2003. That would be 39K in today's money. Baby Boomers put ridiculous amounts of money in their cars. I was young and unmarried. I put 10K extra into mine. I am married and own a house now. I could never do that again!! However, going to a PT meet was like a process in getting one-upped. There was always someone else who did more to their PT. Insanely expensive and sometimes very creative stuff. The car was special. It hit a note with that demographic. There are very few cars that are able to do that. Unfortunately Daimler let it die on the vine.

saltydog, UN4GTBL, ScramFan and 2 others like this.
  7. LoganSix

Only because they PT was ridiculed as being a bad car, even though it wasn't. He even says it was a very good car. Since a lot of people who bought them, kept very good care of them, there are plenty still around. Being reliable and cheap, makes it a very good used car for someone who doesn't have a lot of funds.

So, he is actually saying, that in its own way, the PT was a beautiful car, because what it represented new and used.

8. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

I generally like Doug's reviews for the odd things that he brings out, but for FCA vehicles he usually annoys me, as he misses stuff I know about/states incorrect info - see the latest Charger video too. This of course, makes me question his other reviews.

But his complaining about the interior quality of an economy car in 2001 is just laughable. Plus, he missed that you can remove the rear seats, and the excellent flexibility that provided as well.

9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Mostly size and output. the 3.3 and 3.8 are very compact and have a good reputation for being work engines, long lasting, and very decent performance. The engine bay isn't that large in the PT Cruiser, but it is larger than one thinks, good room behind the engine where the exhaust is, but not enough room for any DOHC engine without major surgery. I prefer the V6 to the turbo 4 mostly because of it being naturally aspirated and a lot less heat under the hood with the turbo, and besides, that has already been done by the company so it isn't anything new. Given the PT Cruiser weighed in at 3100 lbs, 150hp is enough to get it around, but that 20:1 lbs to hp ratio starts slipping with each person you place inside, which was its major downfall, too much weight and not enough hp to make it a super fun ride to have. Besides that, the 3.3 and 3.8 were both in minivans and they weigh even more, and their ability to pull extra weight and hills was rather outstanding more often than not.

tomit likes this.
  10. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

My parents owned a PT for 13 years and only let it go when it needed a new engine. It was an '06 with the refreshed interior, which I think would have better stood the test of time, though that's probably subjective. I always liked it, though the seating would have been too tall for my personal taste. Even drove it a few times...steering felt solid and it had some pep off the line...didn't feel crappy or cheap to me at all, especially back in the day.

I also enjoy watching Doug's videos, in order to explore the details of some of these cars. Unfortunately he really does sometimes "theme" his videos too heavily around either liking or disliking a vehicle. Also, the PT Cruiser was not a product of a dying fashion trend...get your facts straight, Doug! It predates a lot of other retro-styled vehicles...the HHR (designed by the same guy), SSR, FJ Cruiser, Thunderbird, and retro-styled Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers! Still, there's lots of great content on YouTube for us auto enthusiasts, and I think Doug fits a nice niche...though I think this was a particularly disappointing video.

Maybe the reason I really hate it when journalists and others bash a car because it's the popular thing to do is because I like cars like the Prowler, Chrysler TC by Maserati, Gremlin, and Pacer....hahaha. Oh, and I drive one of the oddest-looking Mini Coopers...a co-worker asked if it was a custom job LOL. Still, c'mon Doug...

UN4GTBL likes this.
  11. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

The guy who designed the PT, Bryan Nesbitt, ended up moving over to GM where he was also credited for the design of the HHR. The HHR wasn't a bad looking vehicle IMO, but I don't think it was as well executed as the PT.

12. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

Readyitup for production. Slap it on the RENEGADE'S platitecture with a premium interior!!

13. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

I don't think that there were any of the well received concepts that would not have sold well. MISSED OPPORTUNITIES....

06PTElectricBlue and FThorn like this.
  14. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

I could only watch it until he complained that the key and the fob did not match in color. That guy is just too annoying.

FThorn and 06PTElectricBlue like this.
  15. 06PTElectricBlue

I never cared for the HHR, I thought it was too boxy looking, not smooth and rounded like the PT.

But one thing I did like about the HHR was how they made the doors an integral part of the body by having the door pillars the same color as the body. :)

[​IMG]

And some PT owners have painted the door pillar appliques the same as the body color. This is a crude attempt, but this is what my PT would look like with the appliques painted. I like the separation it gives between the glass panels.

[​IMG]

And there is one other thing I liked about the HHR, that they made a panel van version.

[​IMG]

This should have been the 1st one :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 06PTElectricBlue

Well, you got further into the video than I did before I found his "review" annoying :eek::rolleyes:o_O:D:cool:

FThorn, djsamuel and ScramFan like this.
  17. LoganSix

He has to fill the time with something in order to increase viewing time for maximization of ad payout.

18. FThorn

FThorn Well-Known Member

I did not like HHR; panel 'van' version seams for door and such were the worst.

06PTElectricBlue and ScramFan like this.
  19. 06PTElectricBlue

Yeah, you got to get rid of the door seams to make it a "panel van" :cool:

[​IMG]

UN4GTBL, FThorn and ScramFan like this.
  20. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Of all the different cars and the amount of modifications done to them, I cannot for the life of me know of any other car that had more modifications done to it than the PT Cruiser. Whipple had blower kits for it before it was available, turbo kits before Chrysler did it, there was a place in Los Angeles that was building a dozen 426 Hemi converted ones for $100K, there were RWD conversions with 5.2/5.9s, there were pickups, there were coupes,1939 Ford grilles, more "Special Edition" models you could shake a stick at, and the list goes on.