AF: Doug DeMuro reviews the Widebody Charger | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doug DeMuro reviews the Widebody Charger

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by TheViking, Dec 23, 2019.

1. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

I know not everybody considers this news, but he's entertaining and informative as always.

2. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

This guy has more irrelevant complaints than any reviewer I've ever seen! Shut up and drive it man!

aldo90731, James A, joewho and 3 others like this.
  3. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Never heard of him.

jclick likes this.
  4. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

He's a pretty popular youtuber that is good at showing things you wouldn't normally notice/know. Perfect example is how he pointed out the things that are showing their age of the platform.

saltydog and UN4GTBL like this.
  5. hmk123

Level III Supporter

He has been around for quite a while on YouTube and now has over 3M subscribers. He has a very inexpensive way of doing his reviews by providing primarily just his quirks and features overview. A lot of it is silly stuff. Although in a world of ever crazier electronics it can also show you how ridiculous cars have become with how you control them (his Porsche Taycan review is a good example). But when it comes to the real driving characteristics of a car you don't really learn much since usually he just seems to drive it around the block...

Ryan likes this.
  6. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

someone who focuses on the resolution of the back up camera vs the incredible value this brings with 707 hp cannot be taken seriously in any way. Why not review iPhone chargers instead? That's where his skill set appears to be lol...

James A, joewho and DC-93 like this.
  7. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

Yes, a lot of his content is just quirks and features but most of his videos get well over a million views and his Demon review got almost six. So he definitely has a way to connect with an audience.

saltydog, UN4GTBL, Ryan and 1 other person like this.
  8. BASONE88

Supporter

He owns a blue Dodge Viper GTS Coupe from the '90's. Seems to be a Mopar fan, on some level. I like his in-depth reviews just because I feel like I you get to know (through the review) the car particularly well. I don't agree with many of his opinions. ;)

tomit likes this.
  9. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

He's a former jalopnik writer, went to one of the other rags.. auto something..

UN4GTBL and wolfsblood07 like this.
  10. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Autotrader.com/oversteer. I don't particularly like Doug, but his counterpart Tyler Hoover (Hoovies Garage) is hilarious and his mechanic (car wizard) is pretty informative related to fixing cars. Tyler's videos primarily focus on him buying a cheap car, finding out its waaay broken and taking it to the car wizard who explains how much its gonna cost to fix. (which is usually a lot). When he buys the car he goes into explaining the origins of that particular vehicle and some neat features. Rarely are his videos critical. Sometimes the cars are so nice it surprises him, like when he bought a 1966 Chrysler Imperial convertible. That car was lovely!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dfpB6lM4Vo
    ^link for the interested.

saltydog, UN4GTBL and suzq044 like this.
  11. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Yet another reason to skip it.

DC-93 and ScramFan like this.
  12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Meh, I’ve always thought his voice and manner of speaking was kind of annoying, but obviously a lot of people like his videos because he has a lot of subscribers and a lot of views. He does bring up some valid points about the interior and exterior. It’s an expensive car, and could really benefit from some upgrades to reflect the price point.

James A, UN4GTBL, BASONE88 and 3 others like this.
  13. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

A lot he says is right. The drivetrain is world class...for sure. The rest not so much and needs some serious updating.

Illegal Machine and James A like this.
  14. hmk123

Level III Supporter

My 2006 Magnum SRT8 had cheap plastics but a world class ride. It was $40k cheaper than an M5. My 2016 Charger Hellcat has cheap plastics but a world class ride and is still $40k cheaper than a (somewhat optioned) M5.

For me I care about a nice leather sofa and infotainment system in my living room and focus on feeling and hearing the car when driving...

15. Scrounge

Scrounge Got parts?

His last name is spelled DeMuro. I've seen a few of his videos, which seem about 10 minutes too long.

It was recently bought by a member of this forum:

1966 Imperial convertible (at https://www.allpar.com/forums/threads/1966-imperial-convertible.220201/ )

Tyler's purchases rarely align with what I'd buy, mostly because of price, though he also positively reviewed the 2-gen Ram a while back. One of his local friends in the Wichita area is John Ross (his channel is WatchJRGo), who buys cheap vehicles with mechanical problems, fixes them, then sells them at a slight profit. His repair videos are often instructive.

ScramFan likes this.
  16. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

He's a reject from Gawker-era from Jalopnik. That should tell you everything you need to know about him...

17. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

This is absolutely B. S. that keeps being regurgitated.

The materials are competitive if not better than most. The features are competitive if not class-leading. The fit and finish is competitive, perhaps this is the actual weakest point, but it's still far, far, far from the bottom. The styling is subdued, as it should be for an muscle-car or generally mature, classy car. The biggest "gripes" the internet has about the Charger's interior is that it doesn't have lots of stupid angles jutting about, lots of needlessly glossy "accents" dividing each panel into 27 pieces, and not tacked-on tablet blinding you at night and blocking your forward vision.

The exterior is nearly universally admired. It's got great lines, and great looks. Some people don't like the nose, but that seems to be minor. The lighting is not an issue.

tlc, crouchta, jclick and 1 other person like this.
  18. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

for the money there is nothing like it in the world. That's the point and he missed that point prattling about nonsense. His review of a VW Thing (I was about 20 when they came out and had done a lot with VWs back then) was similarly absurd. He seemed to have no awareness that it was built and designed in the early 70s. Things were different then, and standards far different. I can imagine if he tested a Model A Ford he have a lot of complaints for ole' Henry. Maybe he should work for Consumer Reports.

Tony K and tlc like this.
  19. dartndodge

dartndodge Well-Known Member

Well, ya still cant beat Scotty Kill-me-more, he always has a good thing to say about Fee-art and Renoo.
    Loves Chrysler too, especially the late Hemis and old ones.
    Doesnt like GM much tho. Actually, he doesn't like many cars at all, unless they are Toyota's, and he doesn't like all them either.
    He's got some quirks and features too.
    How can you not like someone who drives a $300. 30 year old car and ride motorbikes.....
    Doug who?
    :p

Tony K likes this.
  20. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Didn’t Doug start out owning a cheap used Ferrari and the doing silly videos like how do you pick up three friends in a Ferrari or how do you transport a sofa home and stuff like that? By the way, I don’t think he has his Viper anymore. Seems like he likes Land Rovers and also has a used Ford GT.

The genius for him is that he was early, found a very simple formula with like no overhead and he obviously makes a living of that now...

UN4GTBL, Tony K and jclick like this.