AF: Doug DeMuro reviews the Widebody Charger | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doug DeMuro reviews the Widebody Charger

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by TheViking, Dec 23, 2019.

1. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

I enjoy his videos but I take his rating system with a grain of salt because it doesn't account for what I call the "X factor", which is what makes a car appeal to a person. His rating on a 1989 Plymouth Gran Fury would be meaningless to me because to me it's awesome on every level!

UN4GTBL, Tony K, Quambi and 1 other person like this.
  2. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

I agree. Mechanical is whats important to me.

3. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Doug is the kind of guy who has "Quirks and Features" and a self-named rating system, not to mention subscribers who probably spend more time reading the comments. :D

4. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

Not " B.S." at all or regurgitated from demuro, YouTube or any media. It's my opinion after being an owner of a 2015 RT for 3 years. The materials are not better than most. The build quality was horrible. The quality of materials was horrible on the interior especially. The roof, 1/4 panels and trunk are so thin and dent very easily. Paint quality was not good either. The interior finishes deteriorated in a very short time. I have owned other FCA vehixles and they are worlds better. The biggest complaints I see on the internet about the charger is the poor interior quality. It is a fantastic looking vehicle and performing...but beyond that? Its poor imho.
    And when will they do something about that hvac panel? Lol.

5. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

Which other competitive car is better? The Stinger? No way... A Mercedes, BMW, or Audi? It better be for the extra money! A Toyota, Nissan, or Honda? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Also, there are only so many suppliers that ALL of these OEMs buy from... Seats, IPs, switch panels, dashes, door panels, etc. They all get made in the same few places with the same raw materials.

We've got a '15 R/T STP ourselves, FWIW...

hmk123 likes this.
  6. thebluegoat

thebluegoat Active Member

while parts are made in the same place doesn’t mean they are the same quality. For example the second gen Equinox and first gen Terrain. Their IP toppers both came from the same supplier but GM paid $10 more for the Terrain topper because it had better materials. It wouldn’t be that hard to update the Chargers materials

James A, HotCarNut and tomit like this.
  7. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

Yes the base stinger is better imho. We traded it for a 2018 accord sport and its night and day quality all around..and for a lot cheaper than what we paid for the charger. And yes the Camry was better....hyundai...etc etc. Sorry just my opinion.

8. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I guess we all have different things that we are looking for. I have driven enough rental cars to know something like a Camry could never give me that feeling of a Charger R/T....

James A, UN4GTBL, Chase300 and 2 others like this.
  9. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

It's why I love my 09 Challenger R/T with the Tremec. It's not the absolute fastest Challenger, but it's a blast steppin' on the gas down two gears coming up the on-ramp.

James A, UN4GTBL and hmk123 like this.
  10. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

Well...rental camry yeah....but if u look at a Camry xs or xse which is about $6-8k cheaper than an rt....it is night and day. Its.pretty universal the charger needs an interior overhaul.

James A, page2171 and HotCarNut like this.
  11. Jerry Simcik

Your opinion is NOT measurable, though... Also, your bias is showing.

12. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Depends on your target audience. Folks looking for Big Hemi V8 Power^TM may not care so much given the lack of other options.

James A likes this.
  13. Jerry Simcik

What Charger did you spend time in?!? There's no way even the XSE is going to match an R/T, even the '05-'10 versions, let alone anything with an SRT badge on it somewhere...

The Charger's interior is perfectly fine - the worst part of the whole thing is the texture they used for the dash and door panels. Make that texture a bit more subtle, and I feel most people would not complain. Most people don't prefer cluttered, glaring environments for long periods of time, after all. (Less is more.)

hmk123 and UN4GTBL like this.
  14. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

How is his bias showing? He clearly stated his opinion and even says so. All the cars he mentioned do have better interiors since they're actually new and not a refresh from 2012 and 2015. You could even argue all those cars have better handling, especially in the upper trims, due to the size and weight

Scottina06, gforce2002 and turbonetic like this.
  15. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

He owned a viper GTS for a short time purely to make videos with it (and make fun of it for the most part). I assure you he's no mopar guy or fan. I don't think he's a fan of any particular brand, he's just a mediocre (at best) car guy that googles these things minutes before making a video. He does it for the money, not because he's a car guy.

ScramFan and wtxiceman like this.
  16. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

I owned a Charger SRT and will fully admit the camry XSE has a better interior. Dodge needs to up their game, the interiors were barely adequate back in 2011 and certainly aren't in 2020.

Scottina06 and HotCarNut like this.
  17. Jerry Simcik

In what world is this "better?"

[​IMG]

Than this?!?

[​IMG]

If that's what you consider better, you can keep it! It's so disjointed, so bland, it's not designed to be functional/useful, it's just designed to distract you so that you can't focus on anything else.

What design element(s) do you think are so greatly different from one another, anyway?

If you're just talking your opinion, that's great! You can have your opinion, but that's not a measure of quality.

crouchta and hmk123 like this.
  18. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

The only thing the charger has is it's more driver focused. Everyone wants more buttons instead of touch screen, the Toyota has more buttons to please everyone and that makes it more functional. Then on top of all that the materials are worlds better in the Toyota then the charger by a long shot. You also call the Toyota interior bland but it has more design and color then the charger....

Scottina06 and James A like this.
  19. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

I've spent considerable time in both, exactly both. Have you Jerry?

Scottina06 likes this.
  20. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I personally actually like the design of the Camry. I also recognize that many of the FWD cars in this category have really good interior space. I am just not making a huge deal out of interior materials as long as the seats are comfortable and the controls are logical. However, I don’t think you get the same driving experience from a FWD car that you get from a RWD Challenger or Charger. Especially if you go with the HEMI and add the torque and the exhaust note.

UN4GTBL and HotCarNut like this.