AF: Doug DeMuro reviews the Widebody Charger | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doug DeMuro reviews the Widebody Charger

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by TheViking, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Interior design and materials aside, please lets not even try to argue that a FWD Camry has anywhere near the driving feel a RWD Charger has. If you are a point A to B person, fine, but those of us that actually like driving know there is NO FWD substitute for a RWD vehicle.

I agree the Charger is overdue for an interior update..and I wish they would allow the option to put the Hellcat leather in the Scatpacks. I'm not a big fan of the suede inserts.

Jerry Simcik, UN4GTBL and HotCarNut like this.
  2. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Yep, most opinions aren't measurable, just like your opinion that the Charger interior isn't dated. Maybe it is YOUR bias that is showing.

turbonetic likes this.
  3. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

I just completed a 2200 mile roadtrip in a 2015 R/T STP; sadly with the black-only interior, not the beautiful black-and-red... I've spent a decent amount of time in other various other cars, including Camry's, Accords, etc., but not specifically in an XSE model. (I also used to sell these things, so I got paid to know more about them than your average person.)

Regardless, the MEASURABLE DIFFERENCES in the Charger and anything else out there are going to be fairly negligible.

You can LIKE certain things more or less - I certainly do - but that doesn't mean they are actually "better quality". (Preferred =/= better!)

If you look at the pictures above, for instance, you see similar materials, similar grains/textures, similar panel gaps, similar basic design elements, etc. The most distinct differences are found in the center stack and on the passenger side dash, in which the Charger uses a much more modest and bespoke design language where the Camry uses a gawdy, flashy one. (In 20 years, the Charger will still look good/contemporary; the Camry will look very dated.)

The Charger's center panel has 18 buttons/knobs. The Camry's has 20. That's not a significant difference. If I recall correctly, many of the buttons on the Camry are seldom-used, as they operate specific radio functions. The Charger has a few of these, but less of them. The materials are not drastically different as you seem to think...

I've never tried to hide my "bias" or opinion - if you've read any of my posts you'd know that. Everyone is entitled to express how they feel and what they believe, but without MEASURABLE DATA, those opinions mean very, very little. (Even mine!) Again, preferring something over something else does not mean that preferred thing is of better quality. What DATA do you have to show that the Charger is lacking in quality???

BASONE88 likes this.
  4. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

I don't think anyone would compare their driving dynamics. Its bad enough a $35,000 XSE has a better interior than a Charger that costs twice as much. In all honesty I don't think FCA intended to let the charger interior languish this long (9 years). The whole car was supposed to be all new back in 2018. It just got caught up in delay jail and they aren't going to put a new interior in a car that's set (eventually) to be all new from the ground up at some point.

5. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

There's a huge difference in materials, they make look similar in pictures but in persona it's pretty drastic. I don't think, i know because i detailed these cars both new and used at the dealership. Radio functions are one of the major things people complain about not having enough buttons right next to having a physical heated seat button....

page2171, Tony K and UN4GTBL like this.
  6. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Modest perhaps, but I'm not sure where you get "bespoke." What's custom-looking about Charger's dash? Just looks dated to me, at least the passenger-side dash.

page2171 and James A like this.
  7. James A

James A Active Member

The Charger def could use a design update on the interior, but I'd take an evolutionary rather than a revolutionary design. The Camry has a nice interior but I wouldn't want that in my Charger and they could certainly keep all that fingerprint magnet piano black plastic, I'll take the aluminium on the current cars instead.

It was mentioned earlier that the Charger was a "classy" car... On what planet? Premium maybe but hood scoops and air vents on every damn model do not a classy car make. Sorry but I just don't want or need a hood scoop on my sedan. I wish they had an optional non-scooped hood for the RT. I'd have bought one by now.

Tony K likes this.
  8. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

I don't know how anyone can honestly argue that it's not dated at this point. But personally I'm more concerned with how the materials hold up over time and quality controls complaints that I frequently read about here/elsewhere (rattles, etc.).

9. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

From what i've heard and seen they don't hold up well. The door panels end up delaminating

Scottina06 likes this.
  10. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

And neither is yours.....lol. that's why I said my opinion and you quote your opinion as facts

#50 Scottina06, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    page2171 likes this.
  11. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

Bingo

12. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

.....but that's not measurable bro....lol

page2171 likes this.
  13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Opinions can be “measurable”, but one needs to conduct a qualitative study to tease out the underlying rationales for said opinions. Qualitative studies don’t give black and white answers like quantitative studies....they end up being rather open ended, but still can provide lots of useful information. We did one a couple of years ago to determine the reasons why patients have falls in the hospital...which is a huge safety issue and ends up costing hospitals $$$millions every year.

I had my CITI certification then for conducting research on human subjects. I don’t do it any more because the recertification is a PITA and it’s not worth the effort. Still, we learned quite a bit from opinions from patients & staff as to why patients were falling and what could’ve prevented them, and we ended up publishing our results (yay us!).

There’s your dose of useless information for the day. You’re welcome! :D

Tony K likes this.
  14. Jerry Simcik

Okay, fine, if you all just want to bash sh!t all the time, have at it! Why do you come here, though?!? You'd be more at home on some other site, it seems. Having a realistic outlook and being critical is fine, but you guys seem to just "hate" everything. Numbers, facts, they don't mean anything to you! You'll never be satisfied!

Materials can be determined and their properties measured. Composition, strength, forming methods, thickness, etc... Those are the things that define "quality." Something can be ugly and ineffective and still be of high quality. Conversely, it can look great, work well, and simply not be any good. You all are confusing your PREFERENCES with ACTUAL metrics.

I absolutely HATE the Toyota's interior design. (Though it is better than some of the others out there right now.) The buttons are small and hard to distinguish. The plastics are bright and glossy - terrible at night or in the bright sun - and also hard to keep clean. The layout is NOT driver-centric. The dash looks like it's melting or falling to the left; it's hideous. The odd combination of super slim, sharp-edged profiles combined with amorphous and rounded features is amatuer parts-bin engineering at its worst. The pillar covers are still just plastic (whereas Charger's are fabric-covered). The glovebox is significantly obscured... But the quality is fine; it's on-par with the Charger's.

UN4GTBL, BASONE88 and hmk123 like this.
  15. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Whenever I go to auto shows I try to sit in as many cars and take a look at the interiors. I have never understood why (in my opinion) the interior materials "discussion" gets so blown out of proportions. I have never sat in a VW, Toyota, Hyundai/Kia or Ford and went home and said I need to sell my Mopar because I have to have that interior. Sure there are exceptions, MB and BMW for example have put quite an effort into theirs (Audi was always pretty good). But even they have weak points. For example, the membrane buttons next to the shifter in new BMWs feel cheaper to me than my 1979 Atari 400 keyboard... I think Cadillac has some of those, too. Plus, those cars charge for those interiors.

BASONE88, James A and Jerry Simcik like this.
  16. Jerry Simcik

This is how I know you're not "for real"...

Prior to MY2018, hood scoops and "air vents" were NOT standard on R/T models. You could have bought one. Also, I'm certain ANY dealer would make a deal with you to swap the standard hood for the scooped hood for no charge, because the VAST majority of buyers want the scoop. (Hell, if you want to buy a Granite one, I'll drive to you and completely swap yours for mine!)

Also, the 300 still exists and has NO vents. If vents aren't "classy" enough for you, the 300 is probably a better fit for you.

I feel like digging up the old threads (where I'm sure I'd find many of you) when the 2015 was released and the "plain" and modest design of the R/T was lamented...

17. Jerry Simcik

Exactly!

To best an FCA interior you have to pay quite a lot more for the car. On most SRTs and on some Rams and Jeeps, you can get leather and/or suede on just about EVERY surface if you want to pay for it.

Additionally, you don't see people having to buy stickers to cover their worn buttons/controls regularly, nor do you see people buying dash kits to hide delamintating/peeling finishes, both of which are quite common among other competitive brands.

BASONE88 likes this.
  18. James A

James A Active Member

This is arguing for the sake of arguing. I have never heard of a dealer swapping a hood, a rear spoiler, rims etc. It's absurd to offer this as a response. You assume that it is possible, you assume that the standard Charger hood is what I want and you assume that that standard hood is "classy". None of those assumptions is correct. How about Dodge just classes the car up with a redesign? I know that MY 15,16 and 17 had the hero mask (You assume that the hero mask was a desirable alternative. It is a weak design IMO), I wasn't in the market, if I was in the market at that time I would have gotten one... I can understand saying that the 300 is classy but the Charger? The insanity in that response is how I know you're not for real.

#58 James A, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    page2171 likes this.
  19. Jerry Simcik

Just because you've not heard of it doesn't mean anything. You've clearly not been looking around very hard or asking questions; Our dealership would do no-charge "downgrade" swaps ALL THE TIME. (We'd also sell you upgraded OEM parts (hoods, wheels, etc.) via the parts department if you were willing to pay for it.) You want a Laramie Ram with Lone Star/Sport Rims? Done! You want an SRT with an R/T hood? Sure thing! A Jeep Rubicon with steel wheels? Not a problem! 17" wheels instead of 20"s? Give us a few minutes!

We could do the swap for no charge to the first customer and then have a more desirable/valuable "low-level" car to sell to someone else later. It was a win-win! Spoilers are a bit harder to swap/remove because of the holes drilled in the body to mount them. Again, I KNOW it's possible to do these things because I saw it done REGULARLY when I was in sales. The only real complications we ran into was on performance model rim swaps where we had to be careful with backspacing and clearances.

Earlier you said if it wasn't for "scoops and vents" you'd have bought one, now you're saying that you don't like the design AT ALL and STILL wouldn't have bought one. Stop moving the goal posts...

BASONE88 likes this.
  20. James A

James A Active Member

The only real complication is that this is not how you design, market, sell, shop for or buy a car - by swapping sheet metal. Should I just go and ask them to slap a Chally front end on my Charger while I'm at it? Totally ridiculous. "A more desirable low-level car", assuming that anyone wants a V6 with a randomly added hood scoop. Assumptions on top of assumptions and you talk about goal posts. Wild stuff.