AF: Doug DeMuro reviews the Widebody Charger | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doug DeMuro reviews the Widebody Charger

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by TheViking, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Jerry Simcik

Jerry Simcik Well-Known Member

Swapping a hood from one trim level to another on the same car and swapping front ends from one type of car to another are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

I don't know what you mean by "how you design, market, sell, shop for or buy a car - by swapping sheet metal" because that's precisely what a LOT of people do.

Why do you think Dodge put the Hellcat/SRT body panels on R/Ts and V6s?!?!? Do you not remember the dealers making their own "Hellcat Appearance Packages?" You can buy Hellcat, Demon, and Widebody appearance packages (like this one) all over the place now! Before it became stock,dealers that did it using OEM parts and quality paint could charge quite a bit for it and people would gobble them up! It also boosted their parts department, so it was a win/win! Again, why do you think Dodge put the SRT body panels on the R/T STPs first, then every R/T, and now even on a couple V6 models?!? People love the looks but don't need/can't afford the big power behind it.The factory didn't make the switch just because they could...

Do you even pay attention to the aftermarket and owners' forums? SRT hood swaps are one of the MOST SOUGHT AFTER mods for Chargers. Again, if you were to buy one with a scoop, you'd have NO PROBLEM finding someone to swap with.

And this isn't unique to Chargers or Challengers. Trucks see this even more! Hoods, bumpers, grilles, BEDS even! You can find several forum posts discussing swapping RamBox beds for standard beds, for instance! Or look at Durango - You can get the SRT looks on a few different trims now. Same with JGC. Even 300 has an SRT appearance package! Do you think they are making these available because they have too many parts in the inventory?

But again, what do you even want? You're just complaining to complain, it seems!

BASONE88 likes this.
  2. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

We had thr 2015 charger rt
    Incorrect about the JGC...you cant get an srt appearance package on any GC.

3. James A

James A Active Member

They added the SRT looks to lower trims when we heard that the 2019 refresh was cancelled. But I don't care if other people like hood scoops all over the place, I don't. I was just at a very big dealership over here on Thursday night. While I was getting an oil change they were bending over backwards to get me into a car because it was the last sales day of the year (so they said) and they needed 4 more sales. They had a sublime RT with the handling pack and a white RT plus. I specifically said that I was looking for a white car with the handling pack (black rims as opposed to silver rims on the plus). They never offered to swap the rims. The sublime car has been on the lot for at least 6 months, and still, they never offered to swap a thing. They offered to throw in the Mopar lease insurance but never to swap rims. So aside from assuming that swapping body parts is a solution, its not, the rest of your reply is madness. I can see that you'll pull just about anything out of your... hat to gaslight in a discussion so I'll let you have the last word here while I wait for the redesign :)

4. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

The srt body kit on the lower trims is more of a way to slowly move their design language forward (get rid of the cross hairs and move to the bandit style)

5. Jerry Simcik

Of course they are not going to just offer that service to, that's silly. Why would they do that if you're just kicking the tires (and it sounds like you're not even doing that much!) If you want a car so badly, go find one that matches most of what you want and make a deal that includes changing the things you don't like (like hoods and wheels). Especially if you can catch a dealer when they are in need a few more units to hit some bonus...

Also, leasing isn't buying. If you're leasing, you're going to have much less freedom. FCA is guaranteeing you a price to buy the car back at in a few years - it assumes it's buying back the car it built, not the one you customized, in good condition so that it can be resold. Stop being so hard-headed and obtuse. If you were serious about any of this, you could very, very easily work it out with any dealer worth doing business with.

Also, the handling package includes upgraded brakes that are larger; you can't fit standard R/T Plus rims on those cars, so they wouldn't be able to do that exact swap. If you want black rims on a Plus, find a Blacktop car...

I'm not sure what you think is "madness" - even people who've disagreed with me on the interior acknowledge that the "SRT-style" appearance packages are prevalent and sought after...

BASONE88 likes this.
  6. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

FWIW, deformed plastic interior panels are quite common on the Charger and 300, specifically the upper portion of the door panels and around the shift tunnel. I'm not sure how that hasn't been fixed yet when the interior has been nearly the same since 2011.

Covering something in faux leather as they've done with the 2019 Charger won't fix a dated design that's had the same problems for nearly a decade.

somber, jclick, gforce2002 and 4 others like this.
  7. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Isn't there an limited X that has the JGC SRT hood???

8. Chase300

BTW, what happened to the rear seat center arm rest in the Charger???
    Any reason its now missing???

wtxiceman and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. Ryan

It's got a "modified" SRT hood but the front fascia and fender flares are from the High Altitude and Summit.

UN4GTBL and James A like this.
  10. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Active Member

Former 15 Hellcat owner (sold it 3 weeks ago)

My Laguna leather at 6k miles looked like a 40 year old wallet. The slightest pressure on any of the seats would leave a mark that would last for days (I doubt the back seat will ever recover from 2 car seats, looked horrible when I took them out).

The back up camera has to be the worst FCA offers. My 14 JGC SRT and my wife's Pacifica is significantly better.

The materials that make up the dash and buttons are completely tragic. Creaks and rattles everywhere.

There was trash everywhere in the paint.

Incredible drivetrain. The 6.2 SC and 8 speed is the greatest engine/trans combo this company has ever produced.

The WB Hellcat is approaching $90k!!! Look inside a M3/4 or C63 at $90k.

Then talk about the service network you buy into at $90k.....

11. Jerry Simcik

I guess I got the only good Charger FCA ever made then! We've got 57K on our 2015 R/T STP and our seats look great - no wear or tear, no rips, no fading; we've even had a car seat in and out of the rear for the last 6 months and there are absolutely no issues there. The seats "recover" within a few hours and look good as new.

The camera is great if you keep the car clean, but does get "cloudy" if the car is dirty. It's location on the decklid behind the spoiler (and we swapped the stock R/T spoiler for the Hellcat spoiler, FWIW) means it gets dirty before anything else really does, but a quick wipe with a clean towel or the regular wash will take care of that.

There are absolutely NO rattles; the fan is the noisiest component in the interior (aside from the speakers). We just completed a 2200 mile trip in it with two 13-hour days on the book-ends; so there was LOTS of time to hear something...

There is no trash in our Graphite paint. I did find a minor scratch on the right rear fender from what appears to be a cat the other day that I'm going to have to try to buff out now...

Do people just not take care of their cars anymore? Seems like more and more people treat their cars like throw-away appliances... Use it 'til something breaks then trash it. We don't. We enjoy them too much - this car's going to be hanging around a LONG time if I have any say in it. I get on to my wife (it's her car, primarily) for not taking out her empty water bottle and coffee mug out at night and not taking it to the wash when it get's dirty, but I'm not sitting out there with Q-tips every weekend (that's a once a year thing, at best ;) ). We use the car, but we don't abuse it. We push it hard and get it dirty, then we let it idle and cool down while we clean it up and then we put it away. It's just like a horse; we take good care of it so it will take good care of us. Is this why we (and our friends and family who behave similarly) don't have issues? If that's the case, is that really the car's/FCA's fault?!?

- - -

MSRPs are not sales prices, but even then, how does an M3/4 or C63 compare to the performance of a HCWB? They're not the same types of cars. The Charger has quite a bit more power than either of those, and you're going to pay for that. Also, you know those are MIDSIZED cars, right? The Charger is much larger and more usable; there's going to be some added cost there also. So, if the prices are similar, but the cars you mentioned have less power and are smaller, what do you think you're paying for? Wouldn't it make sense that you'd have a bit "nicer" interior??? (In terms of design, you can keep those disjointed interiors with their tacked-on "tablets" - I cannot wait for this fad to die...)

UN4GTBL likes this.
  12. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Better comparo for size is the M5, which starts at $102,700, and the Hellcat comparo would probably be the $110k M5 Competition.

13. Ryan

Does your car have the Laguna leather? If not, you really should experience how easily it "wears" before saying someone isn't taking care of their car. The leather in my car isn't Laguna and is holding up about as well as could be expected from white leather. I have taken care of my car and there are still rattles everywhere and warped plastic interior panels. I might feel differently about the quality if this wasn't the case on nearly every used Charger and 300 I see.

The back-up camera does suck. It's super low resolution and no amount of cleaning will fix that. They added HD cameras to the JL and 2019 Ram trucks. Those should be added across the board because they are such significant improvements.

Seems you are willfully ignoring the quality issues that have plagued these interiors since 2011. Doesn't matter how much more performance it has than competing cars when its seats wear out quickly and interior trim panels become deformed by 30k miles.

#73 Ryan, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    page2171, gforce2002 and UN4GTBL like this.
  14. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I'm curious what kind of roads most of you drive on to have so many rattles in your LX cars. Of course, mine is a 2009, and I don't personally recall complaints about the earlier Challengers. Over 100k miles and no real issues on my R/T.

BASONE88 likes this.
  15. Ryan

I don't think the Challengers have been much of an issue. I owned a 2013 and it didn't have these problems. Not sure about the post-refresh models.

Tony K likes this.
  16. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I had seen some issues with some early Laguna Leather cars on another forum. I have a late 2016 Charger with it and granted, I only have 6000 miles on it but so far the leather is fine.

My 2009 Challenger R/T has been holding up well. Rattles are on the minor side. Has around 34k miles on it. Which is the same as my 2006 Magnum SRT8. That one has some dash rattles depending on the road surface and is obviously a bit noisier due to the open trunk area. But its leather for example is holding up fine. Keeping cars out of sun helps interiors quite a bit.

Big question: is the variation due to build quality or different climate and usage conditions?

Tony K likes this.
  17. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Interior suppliers have one job, not to mention where these cars are designed and tested - it can go from sweltering hot to bone chilling cold in a matter of days. Their parts shouldn't be de-laminating or anything due to weather in this day and age.

And Jerry, I appreciate your passion for these cars, we all love them but there is a very fine line between loving them and loving no matter what they produce even when the long term effects are bad for the company as a whole. Its ok to call them out on areas they need to improve on. Remember the wide spread scathing reviews they took for their interiors 10 years ago? We wouldn't have best in class interiors today without that mass ridicule back then - and that's a fact.

wvutuba, Tony K, wtxiceman and 3 others like this.
  18. Chase300

Sounds like a foam issue...not the leather.
    You can easily bring back to like new condition with steam....which is what a upholstery shop uses.

19. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

Lucky kids.

saltydog likes this.
  20. Panterasr9

Panterasr9 Active Member

He is such a wierdo but his reviews go through a lot of features which is kind of cool. He seems like he would wear velcro sandals with socks! lmao

Tony K, tomit, UN4GTBL and 1 other person like this.