AF: Driving (from N&R) | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driving (from N&R)

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by freshforged, Jun 14, 2020.

1. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Locally people are driving much worse because we stopped the TSE program at the local high school and 3rd party trainers only teach just enough to pass the test.

People see bad behavior and it normalizes it leading to further erosion in skill—it’s a viciously negative feedback loop.

AvengerGuy and tlc like this.
  2. vipergts2207

vipergts2207 Active Member

Being courteous rather than simply taking your right of way can definitely cause issues.

I finally got one, on my rear-facing. The lady in the silver car yelled at the guy in the black car for hitting her. She doesn't yet know I shared this clip with the other driver! : Dashcam (at https://www.reddit.com/r/Dashcam/comments/gt0209/i_finally_got_one_on_my_rearfacing_the_lady_in/ )

Black car leaves a gap and waves silver CUV driver on and an accident immediately follows. A primary rule when driving is to ‘be predictable’ to others around you, which would include taking your right of way when doing so isn’t unsafe for some reason.

If your daughter had the right of way and she was obviously not going to cause something unsafe to occur by taking it, she should have not been courteous, but rather predictable. If she would’ve potentially hit them if she hadn’t stopped, then yes that would be ridiculous to lose points for, but bringing up courtesy doesn’t make it sound like that was the case here.

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I certainly agree on courtesy vs predictability.

tlc likes this.
  4. AgentSkelly

AgentSkelly Active Member

I did my drivers test in 2004; I went over a decommissioned railroad crossing; was marked property and there clearly was no connected track on both sides.

The proctor at Oregon DMV wanted to fail me because of that, but I knew better as a 18 year old; explained to him its marked decommissioned, other people weren't stopping, etc. He said "You shouldn't assume that!" and I asked to get me his supervisor. He wasn't happy I asked for that, but 15 minutes later, his supervisor came out and said "I'm sorry for that confusion, you passed the test."

I got my permit at 15 and my father was annoyed that it was 600 dollars for the driving program my HS uses. He talked with his insurance agent, who said to him "I'll tell you something, you can pay that 600 dollars, he takes the driving school, and sure you get an insurance discount. Or you can just pay 600 dollars over 3 years in insurance rates for him and he can get a full Class C license at 18 without the graduated driving restrictions"

#4 AgentSkelly, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    LeeRyder likes this.
  5. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

At 35 I let my licence expire over 6 months and i had to take the test over. At the times I had a chauffeur licence and a motorcycle licence. I also had a perfect driving record....I barely passed,LOL
    I would rather a pay a $200 fine then do that again.

6. FThorn

FThorn Well-Known Member

Dakota just hit my radar June 29, 3:15 am.
    Head over to allpar forums.
    Find Dakota thread
    Go to last page.
    WTH!?? Talk about driver's tests?
    sigh.

7. freshforged

Topic drift is real. It’s not just for Apple rumors message boards.

DC-93 and Zagnut27 like this.
  8. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Topic drift? On Allpar? Surely you're kidding! :D

9. 06PTElectricBlue

06PTElectricBlue Active Member

page2171 and DC-93 like this.
  10. freshforged

3 days in a row I’ve nearly been side punched by someone blowing through a stop sign without even slowing. Anyone else seeing this in their towns?

DC-93 likes this.
  11. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

Yes!!

A few months off the road and everyone forgot how to drive!!

06PTElectricBlue and freshforged like this.
  12. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The latest driving stats are in here in the state of Minnesota. Traffic fatalities are way up and speeding tickets issued for exceeding 100mph have risen from twice the amount in the months of April and May compared last year to 2.5 times for June.

13. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

We have an intersection in the town (really small town) that allows you to go under the freeway and has had stop signs for those going under the freeway. The same family lost 2 children in separate accidents there. It now is a 4-way stop. I sure hope it helps.

14. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I live ~60 miles south of DC. Last month there were over 80 instances of excessive speed on the Capital Beltway with one clocked at over 131 mph. Yes, speeding ticket citations are up on average in the DC-MD-VA area.

Last month I had to travel to Florida. Suffice to say if you weren't doing at least 80 mph you were in the way. 80 mph seems to be the de facto minimum speed. In the nearly 1800 miles I traveled I spotted maybe half a dozen law enforcement officers and hardly anyone slowed when they were spotted. There was one driver in a white boxy SUV who blew by me at well over 100 mph in NC. The turbulence from his vehicle shook the car I was driving. In Florida everyone seems to think it's the Daytona 500.

In related news I was finally able to renew the tags on our Equinox which expired in March. The governor had closed DMV just as I was going to renew the tags. Finally, DMV reopened in mid-June or so. The main offices are by appointment only. However the DMV Selects (only handle registrations, titles, but not drivers license) are first come, first serve and the local DMV Select is open from 10 am - 2 pm only. Got there a 9 am and didn't get in the office (only two customers allowed in at a time and it is a small office in a rural setting) until 12:30 or so. But at least I got my tags renewed. :) Must have been at least 75 people in front of me.

I've also noticed as VA as moved to phase 3, traffic has picked up considerably.

15. freshforged

Wow—I can’t imagine what they must be going through.

16. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed the worst drivers are not the young drivers. It’s the gen-X and older folks texting or talking on the phone. They’re the ones still sitting at a green light, wandering all over the lane, driving too slow, making sudden turns cause they’re not paying attention.
    Been hit three times in the last ten years by adult women and mothers effing with their phones.

DC-93 likes this.
  17. Doug D

I don't know. Around here it seems to be a mix. The younger generation (I'm a late baby boomer) seemed to be pre-ocupied with their phones while drivers older than me driver slower. I noticed a few years back my stepfather was driving much slower than he use to. He's now 85. He use to drive 10 over the limit and now he's 10 mph under the limit. That can be aggravating around here as most of the roads are two lane with limited areas to pass - we only have two 4 lane highways in the county. Interestingly, my folks car insurance actually went up - they are both in their 80's. They've long since retired and really don't drive much - just to the dr's office and the grocery store. Probably don't drive more than 5,000 miles per year.

Of course, the Independence Day holiday is here and compared to March/April the amount of traffic on the main highways is way up. Noticing a fair number of out of state tags and campers on the road.

18. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Oh, the younger ones are always texting but they tend to drive a bit better. It’s still a distracting, dangerous habit.

19. Doug D

And as of July 1st, Virginia has a new law where the driver can be cited for merely holding a cell phone while driving. Good luck enforcing that one.

20. FThorn

FThorn Well-Known Member

I have zero chance sitting here in my home office since early March. People go out... side? Really? No, really? why?