Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DTC Code 1289 Hell

Discussion in 'Neon' started by phildo253, May 29, 2017.

1. phildo253

phildo253 New Member

I have a 2001 Dodge Neon R/T. When I bought it, I scanned the DTC codes. It was showing a code P0601. No big deal. I bought a new PCM from AllComputerResources for $189. As soon as I plugged in the new PCM, the DTC code 1289 (Manifold Tune Valve Solenoid) showed up. I called ACR and they said the do a hard reset on the PCM, by unplugging it for an hour. No joy. The code still showed up, so they sent me another PCM just to rule out the possibility that the PCM was bad. The 2nd PCM that they sent me was showing the same P1289 code. I then replaced the MTV Relay and cleared the codes. The code showed up again as soon as I started the car. I spoke to a few people and they said that a good portion of the time it is the actual MTV that has gone bad. Good thing it is a discontinued part, and the only way that I can get one is to buy an entire intake manifold from a salvage yard. $115 later, I have a new to me R/T intake manifold with the MTV attached. I removed my MTV, which was all bound up and would barely move. Installed the new MTV, cleared the codes and started the car up. The dang code showed up as soon as I fired up the car. This is killing me. I can’t get emissions done until I get this code cleared, which means that I can’t get tabs.

The car runs like a champ. What am I missing? What could possibly by causing the code to keep showing up?

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Review the 'Possible Causes' of fault code P1289 on p. 161 here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals/2001_PL_Neon/01PLEP.PDF
    Basically it can only be the MTV relay, MTV solenoid, PCM or wiring. You have already probably ruled out some of these. Take a close look at wiring that may be rubbed-through to ground, cut or pinched, etc.
    You will want a 12 volt test light and volt/ohmmeter for performing the P1289 tests.
    Component locations, connector terminal pinouts and a simple schematic are at the rear of the book.

3. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Here is a schematic for the manifold tuning valve wiring. It shows wire colors which may make tracing somewhat easier.

Manifold Tuning Valve Wiring.gif

4. phildo253

phildo253 New Member

Thanks guys. This helps a lot. I have a volunteer, but had to go pick up a test light last night. I will be checking all of the wiring tonight. I will report back what I find.