Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Durango Error Code: No bu5

Discussion in 'Dakota, 1998-2013 Durango and Aspen' started by Scott Crouch, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Scott Crouch

Scott Crouch New Member

Does anyone happen to know what Error Code No Nu5 means in a 2000 Durango?

2. t vago

t vago Active Member

I think it is actually trying to show "no bus", but one of your number segments is no longer working.

What engine do you have in your Durango ? Does this occur all the time, or only after some period of time?

3. Scott Crouch

Scott Crouch New Member

Hey, thanks for the response, t vago! That's it, "no bus". It's a 5.7. It started a couple of days ago and it's doing it after approximately three to five minutes of running/driving time. So, I'd say it's doing it pretty much all the time now. I also can hear something turning on, like the sound of an electric fuel pump turning on, coming from around the engine compartment near the front left wheel. I've disconnected the negative battery terminal in an attempt to reset the computer but that didn't help. I was going to try another method I read on here where you disconnect the negative battery terminal, turn the key to the start position and hold for 20 seconds, turn key off and reconnect the battery terminal. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! I can also tell you that the smog guy did a lot of tinkering with it last September, including installing a new fuel pump, but it's been fine until a couple of days ago. Thanks much!

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Fuel pump is in the tank at the rear. You might be hearing the ABS (anti-lock) pump in the LF running?
    The ABS module is on the bus. Any ABS/BRAKE warning lamps on?
    A 5.7L in a 2000? Sure it isn't a 4.7L?

5. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Two common points of failure I've seen are the solder joints in the cluster and the CTM (Central Timer Module - which was basically the body computer on the Dakota and I'm guessing the Durango used it too).

6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Agree. The 5.7L didn't appear until the 2002-2003 model year and then only in the trucks at first.

7. t vago

t vago Active Member

From what I've seen, usually what happens is that there is a sensor that shorts out a 5 VDC voltage source provided by the engine computer. That causes the engine computer to not work any more, and since the engine computer is also the bus master, the Durango's network bus will no longer work.

However, in your case, OP, I think your engine computer itself is just worn out. The 5 VDC power supply quits after that 3 to 5 minutes, and causes your engine to stall for lack of information sent by the sensors that depend on that 5 VDC supply. You could verify this by checking the voltage output of the 5 VDC supply the next time your Durango stalls out with a "no bus" message.

I think that 2000 Durangos came with either the 4.7l or the 5.9l. This "no bus" problem appears to be more common with the 5.9l engine.

8. Scott Crouch

Scott Crouch New Member

9. Scott Crouch

Scott Crouch New Member

Dang, I'm sorry, it would help if I could type. It's a 5.9l engine.

Now the stupid thing won't even start. You're probably right that the computer is worn out. However, if you wouldn't mind giving me your opinion re this, I would appreciate it.

When I took the Durango in last September to get it smogged, the smog tech/mechanic couldn't get it to pass. He said there are a couple of sensors that need to reset themselves due to my having recently disconnected the battery cables to clean them.

I also asked him if he could fix the broken fuel gauge. He said he would check it out for me. He also said do not put any more gas in it as he would likely have to drop the gas tank.

So the next morning, while the engine was cold, I started it and turned on everything electrical as he instructed. This was supposed to put a strain on it and enable the sensors to reset. Well, while driving to the smog shop that morning, I cut it too close and ran out of gas. Got it towed to the shop.

At the shop, he put gas in it and it started and ran fine. He said that replacing the fuel pump would fix the gas gauge. Well dang it, it didn't fix it.

He proceeds to troubleshoot it. Tried another instrument cluster, no luck. Then he finds that the computer (I think) was only sending like 4.7 voltage and not the minimum of 5 that was necessary to make the gas gauge work. He said he could get a used computer/bus part for around $500 and that would fix the gas gauge. I didn't have it fixed as I was going to trade it in but that hasn't happened yet.

I hope some of that makes sense. When you have a chance, could you please let me know if what the mechanic said is credible, that would be great!

10. Scott Crouch

Scott Crouch New Member

Thanks for the feedback, ImperialCrown! It's a 5.9L-I just can't type.

The ABS light only displays when I'm trying to start it...not after it starts. But now it won't even start.

Yea, I just meant that the sound I hear coming from under the hood in the LF sounds like an electric fuel pump trying to engage or something. I've never heard that sound before. It will just randomly do that and sometimes it starts after hearing that and sometimes it does not. Crazy I tell ya!

11. t vago

t vago Active Member

12. Scott Crouch

Scott Crouch New Member

Ouch, a new computer!?! That's what I was afraid of.

Okay then, I thank you very much for all your valuable information, t vago! I really appreciate it!! Have a great day!

13. Scott Crouch

Scott Crouch New Member

Wow....that's an awesome article! Exactly what I need. I owe you one for sure! Thanks again!

14. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

The new computer shouldn't be that bad. I've bought remans (lifetime warranty) off eBay twice. Once because the original owner put an aftermarket performance PCM on a Dakota I owned and I was tired of running premium gas and the second time I actually had a failed computer on another car. Both times the replacement came loaded with my VIN and mileage and was a simple plug and play install.

15. Scott Crouch

Scott Crouch New Member

Cool! I'll check out ebay. Thanks much for the info!