Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Durango overheated

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by 55Plaza, Aug 11, 2017.

1. 55Plaza

Level III Supporter

Saturday the engine overheated, when I was driving (delivering meals - so stop & go - and it was a hot day, about 90°F), the guage came up to the red zone, then went to 0 then came back up quickly to the red zone, and first the engine coolant lite came on, then the electronic throttle control lite. I got back home, let the engine idle with the heater on full - but it was blowing cold air.
    I shut the engine off for about an hour, when I went out again and started the engine. the guage was at 0, and the etc lite was off, I drove it around the block, within a 1/2 block the temperature gauge came up to the red zone, the temp lite came on & then the etc lite again. I parked at home, the guage went back to 0 and the electronic throttle control lite came on again.
    I looked under the hood on Sunday after letting it cools and and couldn't see any problems. So I started to pour in antifreeze, and it ran out the bottom of the tube, so I thought maybe I blew the top rad hose. I ordered in new hoses, figuring if the top one blew, I might as well replace the bottom one as a preventative measure.
    It turns out, the top rad hose didn't blow - it looks like a plug blew out on the rad fill tube.

Can someone confirm that it was a plug/cap or is it something more serious. DurangoRad 003.JPG Durango 009.JPG DurangoRad 002.JPG

2. 55Plaza

Level III Supporter

Dealer service department replied: "the red ring looks like the rad cap? can you take a picture a little farther away so I can see the location a little better? im almost thinking either thermostat stuck or the fans didn't kick in and it couldn't cool down". I then sent them this ...

Attached Files: