NewsDemon has a freakin’ TransBrake • Pritchett’s Challenger Drag Pak isn’t a Demon • Ram Longhorn to match trailers

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Durango SRT

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by Dave Z, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Member

Exactly.

2. mentalicca

mentalicca Member Level III Supporter

It just blows my mind I could buy 2 of the 2010 GC SRT (when they were new) for the price of one of the current ones

3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

I wonder why they chose a 4 instead of an A (for All). To avoid making different badges for Saudi Arabia?

4. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Member

At $80K I get that complaint, but high 60's to low 70's....it's worth it. It's that much better a vehicle than the WK1.

5. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Member

I think the for Everest looks more like Durango.

redriderbob likes this.
  6. mentalicca

I have driven in one. I will agree it is better than the WK1.

However, this is where my complaint about price stems from. Comparing that 2014 I drove to the 2014 Durango R/T I now own, the performance of the vehicle never felt like it warranted such a massive premium over what I paid for mine. For me, with the options I wanted it was going to be a minimum of 20k more for the Grand Cherokee SRT.

Comparing to the lower models my Challenger and Superbee knocked it out of the park price to value. I just did not get that same sense from the GC versus the Durango R/T. If it's a minimum 20k difference I would rather just buy some performance parts on my current Durango, and get it close enough. I like the interior on mine, the car is comfortable.

I don't feel incentivized to buy the SRT at that much a markup vs what my car had costed. I bought into SRT as awesome performance for the price. At any price above 60k, I will probably just wait for a used 1 at a steep discount after a year. That shouldn't be a go to thought for me, someone in at least one of the target demographics.

7. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass... Staff Member Supporter

Note the AWD badges on the Alfa Romeo and Maserati are "Q4" (and they may be paying a small fee to Audi for that.)

Plus, "A" looks like crap when italicized. Don't get me started - every italicized "AWD" badge just makes me cringe. ;)

UN4GTBL likes this.
  8. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Member

Yikes. I disagree. I've got a 2014 JGC SRT and have driven the Durango R/T. I don't think they're in the same universe from performance to interior.

Nice vehicle for sure. I'd say the same thing about the Explorer Sport as well.

UN4GTBL and BigDaddySRT like this.
  9. mentalicca

FWIW, part of the target demographic I am speaking of is the people who want and can afford an SRT Charger or Challenger, but need the additional practicality that the Durango offers. There are plenty of vehicles I can afford, but if the perceived value isn't there I won't buy.

If the Durango costs over 60k, I have no problem affording the vehicle, I just have a problem justifying the purchase when I could A. get enough of what I want for substantially less, and B. the used prices on the SRT Grand Cherokees tended to plummet in my area after a year or so (basically a drop of up to $1 per mile on the odometer in my area). Heck, right now, I could get a 2015 from my local dealer that's about 30k off what it was priced at new.

I think we need a vehicle like what the SRT Jeep used to be. I think the Durango SRT is going to be an amazing vehicle, and I hope the sell like hotcakes. But, FCA will not be getting my money for one if they price it that high, sorry to say.

I understand the other side too, but this is coming from myself and other people who could be potential owners.

suzq044 likes this.
  10. jorisr

jorisr Member

The "Q4" trademark actually belonged to FCA. Alfa has used it since 1992 at least with the Alfa Romeo 155 Q4.
    FCA has given Audi the rights to the "Q2" and "Q4" trademarks early last year.
    What they got in return for it is not in the open as far as i know.
    FCA has however retained the right to keep using the trademarks themselves.

11. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 New Member

Would anybody be surprised to see the Trackhawk be unveiled at the Woodward Dream Cruise? Last year, Dodge announced the Charger Daytona and Challenger T/A at Vinsetta Garage. A couple years before, Dodge unveiled the Charger Hellcat at Vinsetta Garage.

The precedent has been set by FCA to unveil vehicles there

MoparDanno and redriderbob like this.
  12. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass... Staff Member Supporter

Thanks for the clarification.

13. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Supporter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UN4GTBL and wtxiceman like this.
  14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Nope - I would not be surprised
    I did not know that!

15. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Supporter

I am thinking the same thing....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last three years have had some cool debuts... 2014 Ram 1500 Rumble Bee Concept, 2015 Dodge Charger SRT HELLCAT, 2017 Dodge Charger Daytona and 2017 Dodge Challenger T/A.

Chrysler has had a lot of debuts at Woodward... the announcement of the production of the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8, as well as the PT Cruiser Dream Cruiser Series... (the Woodward Edition Prowler for 2000 actually made an appearance at the SEMA show in 1999). Dodge Dealers actually picked up the first batch of 2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytonas at the Chrysler Museum during Dream Cruise week in 2005 as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BASONE88 and UN4GTBL like this.