NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Durango SRT

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by Dave Z, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Member

Man... Seeing those pics of the PT really took me back... There was so much left on the table for the PT... To this day, I imagine what could've been.

UN4GTBL, freshforged and GasAxe like this.
  2. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Member

Wow.... So I just realized why I loved my Caliber so much.... The spiritual successor to the PT... In a weird, not-connected, type of way, lol.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. Scottina06

Scottina06 Member

The MSRP of the 2010.loaded was way over 50k...like 51-53. They just discounted them so much...15k off

4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru! Supporter

Agree, remember in the fall of 2000, people were on a waiting list to get these things and were paying $35k just to be one of the first owners. Then because of lack of major updates they couldn't give them away in 2006. I remember driving a PT Cruiser GT with the auto and the knob flew off and into the back... they really laxed on the build quality the last few years. Chrysler (errr DaimlerChrysler) had the chance to really go crazy with the PT Cruiser but failed to capitalize on the vehicle after the first two years.

[​IMG]
    Remember the 2000 Chrysler Panel Cruiser Concept? It was the show stopper at the 2000 North American International Auto Show in Detroit, along with the four door hopped up GT Cruiser Concept. Chrysler had people sending money into them for people to buy it if they built it. Bryan Nesbitt lead design on the PT Cruiser left DaimlerChrysler shortly after the launch of the PT to join GM and his first project there was the Colbalt based HHR. Which GM made in a panel version and high performance HHR SS with 260 horsepower compared to the PT Cruiser GT Turbo's lame 215 horsepower. Nesbitt, lead Cadillac design and now is in charge of the China studio.

[​IMG]
    Remember the PT/10 Concept? The Viper powered, RWD PT Cruiser pickup from the 2003 SEMA Show in Vegas. Probably the most photographed vehicle at SEMA that year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last but not least, the beautiful 2002 Chrysler California Cruiser Concept that debuted at the 2002 Paris Auto Show. This was supposed to be a good look at the refresh of the PT Cruiser which was more boxy and featured the Chrysler striked hood. Instead we got a watered down version in 2005, when DaimlerChrysler would not put a penny into anything Chrysler if it didn't have to. The design became boring and the PT was axed in favor of the lackluster Dodge Caliber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BASONE88, Bajanbuoy, UN4GTBL and 3 others like this.
  5. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work... Ad-Free Member

I think this must be a generational thing... I've always thought the PT was hideous. You guys give it so much love, I don't understand why personally.

6. redriderbob

Hey man, mid-1990s to early 2000s was all about retro designs....

We had the...
    1997 Plymouth Prowler Concept
    1995 Chrysler Atlantic Concept
    1998 Chrysler Chronos Concept
    2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

2001 Ford Thunderbird
    2005 Ford Mustang

2005 Chevrolet Bel Air Concept
    2003 Chervolet SS/R
    2007 Chevrolet HHR

... are a few of the better known retro themes that went main stream in the car media.

Zagnut27 and james.mooney. like this.
  7. BobbiBigWheels

Totally fair - it was a trend for sure. Some retro styling is dead for good reason, trying to bring back the wood-panelling of yesteryear never sat right with me. It's funny, in the Abstract: Art of Design episode with Ralph he speaks about how he wondered why all the cars were so ugly, and then he saw a Porsche. My first dream car was a 2001 Porsche 911 Turbo, silver. To this day, it is still a car I will one day own.

8. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

I believe that it is generational. I like the PT styling (I am 50) and I know someone in their early 30s who hates it.

9. BobbiBigWheels

It's funny, because we can both agree that your "08 Chrysler 300C AWD in Inferno Red" is a gorgeous vehicle ;)

wilbur and wtxiceman like this.
  10. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

It has bandages currently (red duct tape) holding the front fascia together. The poor baby has 212,000 miles on it. It is running great and I still love the Hemi power.

I just arrived in Texas for the week on business. I have a Renegade Limited rental that I will put about 500 miles on this week. I am considering it for my next vehicle.

Dennis ---- are you listening? #CDJSalesPro

danbek likes this.
  11. page2171

page2171 Member

I'm in my early 40's and love the PT styling.

Bajanbuoy likes this.
  12. redriderbob

Well if you makes you feel better the next generation Challenger won't look very much retro at all from what I hear.

13. desavona

desavona Member

1st gen Viper was my dream car growing up. Realistically I will never be able to fit comfortably in the car though lol. My current dream car is a Challenger, but I've had to "settle" for my Charger due to family constraints. In a few years I'm going to have to take a hard look at the SRT Durango vs next-gen Charger. To be perfectly honest FCA is one of the only manufacturers that make vehicles that speak to my tastes.

Detonator Yellow and danbek like this.
  14. desavona

desavona Member

That news potentially saddens me, I love the current Challenger's look.

15. Chase300

Chase300 Member

You might want to move soon as they are priced pretty low currently and might start moving more upmarket..
    Here you go,
    Used 2001 Porsche 911 For Sale (at https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/27914721 )

BobbiBigWheels likes this.