AF: Duster Header Problems | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duster Header Problems

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Duster3404-speed, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Duster3404-speed

Duster3404-speed New Member

Hi I'm new to this forum and looking for help with my 72 Duster 340 project.

I'm at the resto stage of exhaust for my car.So far I have tried to install 3 different sets of headers on my car with no success.It is a 4-speed, power steering car and both sets of Hookers are tight to the power steering unit and the same on the passenger side on the torsion bar.They also rub at the steering knuckle.and at the idler arm.I know these cars have close tolerances but they are touching now so what happens when I fire this thing up?I'm told TTI's would fit better but Hooker guys said the same thing.If I go with the TTI's they say you have to modify or change the clutch Z-bar.I have even thought of changing the power steering unit to a Borgeson/Bergman aftermarket unit to gain clearances and improve steering.

Which way to go?I don't think I can handle another removal.Going broke if I can't get this settled soon! I have even wondered if I should just go back to the stock's that were in it..

Thanks for any input in advance.

2. CudaPete

Level 2 Supporter

Unless you are going to drag the car, the stock exhaust manifolds will be fine for the street. The factory 340 manifolds actually flow pretty well I made this same decision years ago with my Cuda. Bolted the stock 318 manifolds back on and installed a dual exhaust. No problems in 12 years.

3. Duster3404-speed

I think your probably right.At least I only have one header removal to deal with.The stocks I have are off a 70 Duster and was told they are better than the 72's.I had already purchased a flowmaster header back exhaust piping kit.Can I get this adapted easily to stock manifolds?This is definitely the cheapest route to go and the least headaches.

4. CudaPete

Level 2 Supporter

You will probably have to get a local muffler shop to fab up the pipes between the manifolds and mufflers. From the mufflers back should work okay. It is a tight fit on the passenger side next to the fuel tank.

5. tazdevil

tazdevil Member

If you can afford them, TTI headers will solve all your problems. Very clever number seven pipe, perfect fit. Get ceramic coated for sure and progressive pipe size (! 3/4-1 5/8. You won't be sorry!

6. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

In all fairness; dual exhausts were a factory option on the 1967-76 A body so a muffler shop may have have the 'HUTH' cards show where the tailpipes need to be shaped. :)

Add me to the list who thinks manifolds are less drama than headers, especially on a vehicle that will never have the latter 'uncorked'.

7. neongary

Level 2 Supporter

A friend of mine sent his stock manifolds Extrude Hone. It helped a little in the h.p. and maintained the stock appearance which he was looking for. I thought it was a little pricey, but seemed to work for him.

8. Duster3404-speed

I took the advice of Cudapete and removed the hookers ( What an ugly job! ) I will be installing the stocks tomorrow.Should I remove the heat riser flap or leave it in? I've heard they can be noisy.If so .how do I plug off the stem holes? It will be nice to get this project back on track!

9. CudaPete

Level 2 Supporter

If you are going to drive the car in cold weather you need the heat riser. If not, it can be removed. I removed mine because.....it was noisy. I tapped the holes and screwed in some bolts.

10. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Heat riser can be silenced with a piece of asbestos around the stop. A lot can't that way. Needs replacement once in a while.

11. grassy

grassy Member

TTIs are tight (I have them on my 360, '75 duster) and the dual X exhaust. Looks great, sounds great. You will have to go for a smaller starter, like one out of a dak.... Anyway, they do fit with no touching.

May not be necessary but unlocks a bunch of horsepower and I suspect, makes the engine happier...

They are expensive but the best thought out....

12. dana44

Ad-Free Member

I agree with TTi headers. The owners are Mopar only, and they get the different cars and setups specifically to build their headers. I met them about a year after they opened shop back in 1994 and was very impressed with them. Check out any comparison done in magazines and TTi meets or beats each and every one of them, hands down the best you can get, even though they tend to cost more, the ability to install and NOT have road rash and a perfect fit every time makes it worth it.