AF: EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by BobbiBigWheels, Apr 20, 2018.

1. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Hey guys -

In my 3 year career of selling FCA product I have probably seen 100 EcoDiesel Rams drive over the curb with happy new owners. In that time, I have seen more EcoDiesels than any other engine configuration in our shop for various issues, some as extreme as seized engines. As with anything, immediately you dismiss the first couple as being a fluke, "must be their driving habits/lack of maintenance" yada. I can say first hand it is not a coincidence any longer, these engines have some critical issues that need addressing. These issues have become highlighted by a recent huge incentive that FCA provided for the remaining 2017 Ram 1500s, including an additional discount for EcoDiesel equipped trucks. This incentive saw our 25+ EcoDiesel truck inventory diminished in less than 30 days, and we even had to grab another half-dozen Ram 1500 EcoDiesels from sister stores to fulfill our need.

Since then, 5 have check engine lights, 2 require new DEF tanks, one seized engine.

This is on the backs of 2 pre-owned (2014, 2015) Ram 1500 EcoDiesel equipped trucks sitting behind my service bay waiting on engines, and warranty acceptance from FCA.

Keep an eye on this engine's longevity and reputation as Ford and GM release their half-ton diesels, I have some concerns personally.

Why New Ecodiesel Owners Need To Beware Of Engine Failure (at https://carbuzz.com/news/why-new-ecodiesel-owners-need-to-beware-of-engine-failure )

My EcoDiesel nightmare - Ram 1500 Diesel Forum (at http://www.dieselramforum.com/forum/2014-ram-1500-ecodiesel-troubleshooting/7409-my-ecodiesel-nightmare.html )

2014 ecodiesel. Motor blew. (at https://www.ecodieselram.com/forum/threads/2014-ecodiesel-motor-blew.605/ )

Seven Engines to Avoid like The Plague – WHEELS.ca (at https://www.wheels.ca/top-ten/seven-engines-to-avoid-like-the-plague/ )

and many more...

2. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I was just discussing this with my GM yesterday. He says they are all because people are not maintaining them but that seems like just another excuse. I was told by the service department to never buy an EcoDiesel because the engines are going out left and right.

#2 Ryan, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    guyverfanatic, somber and aldo90731 like this.
  3. BobbiBigWheels

Yeah... it's this big issue that I haven't seen much discussion about on AllPar. Felt like it needed to be brought up, because it's going to be front-page news soon with the way these things are dropping.

4. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

Have there been any TSBs or recalls associated with the engines? Without FCA issuing any information like that it's hard to tell how widespread or varied the issues are. Hopefully the upcoming upgrades will address anything they found with the first ones.

guyverfanatic and HotCarNut like this.
  5. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

I elected to get a hemi after seeing this was becoming more common. I really wanted a 28mpg truck too.

6. TrueNorthTint

TrueNorthTint Active Member

The funny part is the lack of failures in Grand Cherokees. Haven't seen one yet myself. The failures that I have seen in trucks are with customers who actually use the truck as a truck. That might be the failure difference.

7. BobbiBigWheels

Nada. Like Ryan and I had mentioned, we're seeing it more and more at the dealer level recently.

8. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I would expect that a failure analysis would be done very quickly and that FCA already has an idea of what's going on.

guyverfanatic and somber like this.
  9. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

You may recall that the Edmunds long-term Ram Ecodiesel died on the freeway, with Dan Edmunds himself at the wheel. Engine quit while moving, Dan coasted to the shoulder, and could not restart. By the time the tow truck came, the Ram strangely did restart, but of course they towed it anyway.

The dealer got FCA corporate involved, and they scrutinized the entire fuel system, but could not determine a cause. They did replace the fuel system just to be safe. Some commenters suggested that maybe there was some kind of foreign matter in the fuel line that caused the stall, but was later flushed through, which is why the truck restarted. To the surprise of many, the culprit was apparently not the Bosch HPFP.

Edit: I should say that they kept the Ram for another year and around 20,000 miles after that, and had no further issues.

10. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

damn....and I was really thinking about buying a used Ecodiesel RAM 1500. Guess I'll eat the fuel economy penalty and buy a 2500 with the Cummins.

guyverfanatic likes this.
  11. crouchta

crouchta Well-Known Member

My experience and that of my neighbor.....

I had repeated issues with the check engine light. Every time, the code showed CO2 sensor. Every time it was replaced. I finally decided it wasn't that big of a deal and drove it (once due to being in the middle of nowhere) and the light went off on its own after about 250 miles. This reoccurred several times in my 27,000 miles. I traded for a Hemi, more because I wanted the features that I could get for the price of the EcoDiesel than the engine, but then, I do love the Hemi.

Neighbor had hers leave her on the road a couple of times, both related to DEF. My opinion (something I couldn't tell her) was she let the tank get too low. I had heard of issues, so I never let the DEF get below half a tank. I never had an issue with this. She's now driving a F150....

guyverfanatic and somber like this.
  12. BobbiBigWheels

Grr.

guyverfanatic, UN4GTBL and somber like this.
  13. BobbiBigWheels

Cummin's'll get about the same economy as a babied Hemi, in my experience.

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I briefly had a Grand Cherokee with the Ecodiesel I bought used. I loved the power and economy, but it had a persistent cam sensor error code. Before that was ironed out, it ended up having a massive electrical meltdown. It probably was the TIPM. The dealer elected to take it back, costing me almost nothing.

somber, xjgary and HotCarNut like this.
  15. AutoTechnician

AutoTechnician Well-Known Member

Not only that, but I've heard these a serviceability nightmare too. The easiest way to replace the turbocharger is to remove the transmission or the cab first...

16. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

I saw a bunch of Youtube videos by someone who was using it as his long haul tow vehicle and I believe he noted a design defect that ended up with the engine dead around 220-250,000 miles. Not bad, but not good for a diesel.
    Pretty much ended my thoughts of a JGC diesel.

guyverfanatic and UN4GTBL like this.
  17. Chase300

18. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

19. Chase300

Yeah...and only at 148K miles...not acceptable for any engine let alone a diesel.

UN4GTBL and xjgary like this.
  20. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

“You are not going to dodge this...” Did he intend a pun with that statement...? :D

I’ll state the obvious: Ram pickup defines Ram brand. Where Ram pickup goes, so does the entire Ram brand. So there’s a lot riding on this issue, as well as on the DT launch.

Hopefully we won’t be seeing welds separating on DTs, or any other serious mishaps on Rams. If more continue to pop up, watch a big chunk of FCA shareholder wealth vaporize. Poof!