AF: EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews | Page 10 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by BobbiBigWheels, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Unfortunately, that is so true.

Ryan likes this.
  2. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

What's the most common reason? Just extending out the mileage between services to save a buck?

3. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Not sure. People probably just buy a diesel without knowing what that entails.

4. 1999 White C5 Coupe

1999 White C5 Coupe Well-Known Member

What was determined?

5. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

It's a diesel, whatever the factory says, cut it in half. Clean oil and clean oil filters and fuel filters are a must. Especially the newer engines. I'm not sure on this engine but if it's allowed, synthetic oil is worth every penny. I'm a diesel owner by the way.

6. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Real diesels, Cummins, Cat and International would run forever in all kinds of conditions, these modern toy engines are built to a price point and it shows.

vipergg, Bearhawke, Sigurdur and 4 others like this.
  7. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member

Remember, they had to expand production at VM to accommodate the volume that would go to Ram (and Jeep).

guyverfanatic and Adventurer55 like this.
  8. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Conventional wisdom back in the day used to be you could go an extra 1000-2000 miles on top of the recommended oil change interval (for gas engines at least). The low 3000 mile oil change was a cash grab by the service department according to local conspiracy theorists. To change the oil more often than required is bad news.

That's my worry as well. Whenever I hear about a problem someone has with a diesel it's usually something to do with clogged or failed injectors, never oil/filter maintenance related.

9. Adventurer55

I have never went over what the factory recommended on oil changes. In fact I never came close to the recommended mileage for oil and filter. The one thing I did do however was was use the correct weight oil the factory recommended while it was under warranty. And for 42 years of driving I have never lost an engine period. The few extra dollars for something as easy to change as oil and filter are worth every penny, imho.

guyverfanatic and danbek like this.
  10. Jim kellenberger

so back to my 2016 with 39000 miles on it. They are saying its the oil pump. To support all the talk about service being up to date, they asked today for the receipts of all my oil changes. I provided that to them. The dealership I have it at says FCA is asking for it. I believe that. The service guy also told me that they have replaced two engines in the last couple months due to major engine failure. Its a mystery to me that with all the forums regarding this engine that fca hasnt started a buy back. I also know the government usually mandates these. I have been in contact with an atty that is familiar with atleast two class action suits regarding this motor and they advised that I keep them in the loop. Just frustrating.

11. Doug D

Good luck if you go with the class action suit. That normally nets you very little, but the attorneys collect a huge amount.

12. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member

But FCA needs to be taught that being cheap usually end up costing more than investing in quality.

This is the amateurish "screw-the-supplier and customer" procurement thinking that killed the Big 3 back in the 1970s and early 1980s.

I thought we were beyond that.

13. Backorder

Backorder Active Member

Most likely. On FCA's part? Probably not. Modern diesels aren't magically strong and robust, they're high strung and finicky in order to get good performance with good mileage and while meeting emissions standards. Some people still think they can run them on WMO and leave them idling all day long. Other people treat them like cars, filling their lives with short trips that never let the engines warm up properly.

And then they blame the factory when something eventually goes wrong.

Tony K, jwp44, Doug D and 1 other person like this.
  14. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

Emissions play a huge part. I know a lot of farmers around here are itching to order emission delete kits for their trucks after warranty is done.

Wil

HotCarNut likes this.
  15. Jim kellenberger

So today they decided my engine was shot. Dealer here doesnt have a tech that can replace it so its was towed about 100 miles away. Now they have to start the process over and evaluate it themselves. Kinda of a bummer cause I didnt know how bad i would miss having a truck. Shoulda stuck with my instincts and gotten a 2500 or 3500. Had one of each and no major issues.

16. Doug D

Who's "they"? FCA or the dealer?

17. Shanny

Shanny Member

18. Shanny

Shanny Member

Motor was Replaced in five Days in total from order to finish . Can't be more Pleased with the Dealership. I was told by Mopar Rep that motor would be warrantied for 2 years and unlimited miles. I think I'm gonna drive it for a While. I just wish I knew the fixed the problems with these motor would give me a lot more confidence in the Truck.

19. Shanny

Shanny Member

Jim, the original Dealership I brought my truck did the exact same thing! Tried to put all the focus on my Maintenace , basically telling me I was the reason for the motor to detonate. I had all the Receipts for the oil and the filters that were purchased from the Dealer, Truck sat at the dealer for 5 days and they did nothing to it, I pulled the Truck out of there and brought it to another dealer, I had the Truck back in my driveway in five Days.

xjgary likes this.
  20. Adventurer55

And these are the types of dealers that FCA does not need. Unfortunately it is the norm in a lot of locations.

xjgary, dakota21, Mr. Fusion and 5 others like this.