AF: EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews | Page 11 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by BobbiBigWheels, Apr 20, 2018.

1. iotaram

iotaram Member

I just bought a 2018 Ram 1500 eco diesel and only owning it for 30 minutes had a check engine light on and a message saying service electronic throttle control. Got it fixed and it came back on the same day after it was fixed.

2. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

I'm guessing those modified vehicles are for Off Road Use Only?

3. GhengisT

GhengisT Member

New Ram Ecodiesel owner here. Took ownership on October 28th 2018, new Laramie Crew Cab with 5 miles on it. A couple weeks earlier, I had rented a 2019 Ram 1500 BigHorn 5.7L to haul my motorcycle to the race track. The wife and I loved that truck, so that's originally what we went to the dealer to shop for. They weren't budging on 2019 pricing, but the 2018 Ecodiesel had about $10k off in rebates and all the options we wanted so we left the dealer, planning to come back the next day (always like to sleep on big expenses).

Spent that evening researching failures and reliability. Came across the cam gear issue, fuel pump issues, glow plugs thread length issues and decided to opt for the extended warranty and 4yrs/unlimited miles of oil/filter changes. One of the success stories I did find that sold me on the ED was a forum member by the name of VernDiesel. Vern uses his 2014 to deliver Airstream travel trailers around the USA and has a whopping 400K+ miles on his Ecodiesel. He's had to replace a few items that come with high mileage territory, but nothing catastrophic in nature. I believe his head gasket went around 375K, but has since had it replaced and continued well in the 400-450K miles. Still going strong I believe.

I'm at 1900 miles now, couple 400mi road trips, but mostly commuting 15mi highway each direction. I find the truck reaches operating temperature around the 8 to 10 mile marker. I lay into it a bit with a lead foot once it's up to temp (diesels like to work hard). So far no issues, CELs and the truck drives like a gem with the diesel package.

Will be sure to report back if I run into any issues. Going to see if can get an earlier oil change than 10K mile, seems excessive for a brand new engine, but thereafter should be fine using good old Rotella T6

saltydog, HotCarNut, ScramFan and 7 others like this.
  4. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

So. Did this ecodiesel thing ever get resolved ?

5. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Guessing not since any eco diesel is a few years out

6. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Wow. This is crazy. Gee...….it's not like the diesel engine was just invented !

12soldier likes this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

You can take any known and proven technology and cost-reduce it to the point it is no longer bullet-proof.
    It's done all the time, and not just in the automotive industry.

8. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

And the repair bill is steep.

9. haywaj

haywaj Well-Known Member

Pro
    Probably the best description of cost engineering that I have ever heard. Well said.

HotCarNut and wtxiceman like this.
  10. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I saw a newer 3500 idling in the PX parking lot here at Ft. Leavenworth yesterday. All I could think was "damn, do you realize what kind of engine wear you're causing, especially if that engine isn't warm already?"

UN4GTBL and GasAxe like this.
  11. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Ugh, we used to go through this same explanation over and over with equipment operators. People must think starters are the most expensive part of the motor 'cause everyone was afraid of wearing them out!

UN4GTBL, Tony K and Bob Lincoln like this.
  12. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Funny the big Diesels in a Train run constantly, they are even designed so you can check the oil while running. Granted this was a few years ago when I was involved, things may have changed now. Back in the olden days, 70’s / 80’s it was standard practice to leave your semi running all day, even during lunch, we traded the trucks in at 400K and had zero problems with engines. Of course these were Cummins engines, not the cursed Jimmy”s of the era. LOL

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Diesel trains run HARD, as do semis, when they're actually hauling. How many miles did you put on one in a day? Even when I was parked half the time, running fertilizer to the field, I rarely went less than 200 miles in a day, local hauling. If there was any wet stacking, it got burned off on the way to the field with a full load. As for what we used to do back in the 70s and 80s, most folks who've kept up don't run their trucks on idle for extended periods. Here lately, Dad put a new starter and a fresh set of batteries on the 90 Pete 379. Sound like an aircraft engine starting, it's so fast (starter motor) now. We never idle it more than necessary, especially after that.

14. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Automatic compression release has changed things, back in the day we had to reach in and pull a lever to get a hot diesal to crank. You youngsters have it easy today. P.S. I had to walk 12 miles to school up hill both ways. LOL

wtxiceman, Tony K and Mr. Fusion like this.
  15. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Through waist deep snow, right? :D

Your initial sentence reminded me of starting a big Cat dozer with a pony motor. My Dad's landlord was an excavator. Used to run a coal mine. Had a bunch of old Cat dozers. One had a pony start. I was a teenager when I experienced that concept in action.

16. GhengisT

GhengisT Member

I've had the truck 10 months since purchase and I have accumulated approx. 8600mi. Just took it in for it's first oil change around 8K miles a month ago. Sadly, I have to report that the truck is currently at the dealer awaiting a new engine. It threw a rod after driving a 150+ mile trip this past Saturday. Everything seemed normal until I was about 1/4 mi from home (a major positive). I was making a left into a busy intersection at night and noticed a lot of shaking and vibration coming from the engine, reduced power and awful engine noise. I was able to back out of the intersection to a shoulder on the road and it seemed to ease up. Wife was in the passenger seat and is 9mo. pregnant and we could have very easily been t-boned due to this failure. No codes or warning on the dash, oil pressure and temps were fine, so I limped the truck home as it was.

Mopar Roadside Assistance picked up the truck on a Sunday and towed it 45 miles to the dealer where I purchased the truck and had the first oil change completed. The dealership has treated me very well so far and I am thankful for that. They've acknowledged the motor needs to be replaced. New engine should arrive later this week, set for installation next week, and have lined up a loaner vehicle in the meantime.

Our next quandary is whether we want to give the VM 3.0 a second chance or trade it for a 1500 w/ 5.7 Hemi. My better half and I are leaning towards replacing the truck with a 2019 Hemi 4x4, despite some negative equity on our EcoDiesel.

Any advice on the best way to proceed would be appreciated.

Illegal Machine, somber and HotCarNut like this.
  17. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Glad to hear you and your wife are OK ans safe.

One would hope the new revisions have solved a lot of the problems noted. I was forced to move up my purchase of a Gladiator up one year to this weekend so I ended up with the Pentastar 3.6L.
    Originally I was holding out for the 3.0L ED and it lined up with my expected purchase timeline. After thinking about it and how I plan to use the Gladiator and frequency of towing I had pretty much talked myself out of the diesel anyway. Those 480ft lbs still sound sooooo very sweet.

page2171 likes this.
  18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Depending on how much negative equity there is I would probably opt to get out of the VM and get the 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi. If you don't tow a lot the Hemi will do just fine though it sucks fuel like there is no tomorrow on the rare occasion I do tow a heavy load (8-10 mpg). I am biased. I have a '06 Ram 1500 QC SB w/Hemi that is 13 years old with 262K miles. No problems with the Hemi except needing to replace the EGR every now and then.

somber and HotCarNut like this.
  19. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

If nothing else, I appreciate you sharing your (very sad!) story here.

It's not an easy decision of course, but I would consider taking the near-term financial hit on trading for a Hemi, versus the potential long-term pain of continued EcoDiesel ownership. I've had to do a similar thing in the past, but I just made it work (out of necessity), and in the long run I was satisfied with my decision.

To be completely candid, I choose vehicles for impractical reasons like performance, available features, and/or overall packaging, so I am always psychologically prepared for the reality of depreciation.

saltydog and Ruptured Duck like this.
  20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Ask the dealer if FCA will offer some trade assistance on the trade.