AF: EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews | Page 12 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by BobbiBigWheels, Apr 20, 2018.

1. crouchta

crouchta Well-Known Member

I've had both engines. I had no major issues with the diesel, but overall, I just like the Hemi better. I do a little better than the numbers above when towing. I hauled a pretty heavy load of 40 bales of hay this week and averaged 13. I'm just above 20 on the highway with no load.

aldo90731 likes this.
  2. moparfan06

moparfan06 Well-Known Member

A new truck should do better as its got three more transmission gears available to it than a 2006 model year Hemi had.

Doug D likes this.
  3. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Anyone else think they should have stuck with Cummings ? Have to believe it would have been cheaper in the long run instead of having to replace whole motors .

4. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Originally, the Cummins 5.0 liter V8 diesel was to be installed in Ram trucks in 2010. I've seen belt diagram stickers with this engine included. The bk killed it and Chrysler didn't renew the contract. It's just as well as Nissan didn't get very far with this engine in their trucks. Plenty of power but not great fuel economy. There was a V6 version of that engine, but it didn't go anywhere.

Dave Z, UN4GTBL and Mr. Fusion like this.
  5. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

In fairness,Nissan’s trucks are awful and they couldn’t handle a fraction of the power from a towing or payload perspective. I always thought the 5.0L Cummins would have been a perfect engine for the 2500....

UN4GTBL likes this.
  6. Adventurer55

I agree. I thought it would've been an entry level diesel for a 2500. The problem now is power and torque for 3/4 ton trucks has passed this engine by.

Dave Z and UN4GTBL like this.
  7. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Yes and no. If you look at the tow ratings, the frame and suspension are the limiting factors. The 6.7L is overkill in anything under a 3500 dually with at LEAST a 4.10 rear end from a power and payload perspective. I’d guess that the 5.0L isn’t much cheaper to build, if at all, but having 1.7L less displacement, fuel economy like for like should be better.

8. Adventurer55

That may be, but there are tons of 2500s sold with the 6.7. My 5.9 Cummins is bigger then the 5.0 but gets much better mileage then both of them. I don't have as much power or torque but I've never had issues pulling anything. Anymore it's just a pi--ing contest.

HotCarNut likes this.
  9. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

I’m thinking if GM May have a good engine with their 3.0 straight six if durability holds up . Certainly getting good mpg numbers out of it .Early reviews have been positive.

Dave Z and HotCarNut like this.
  10. Adventurer55

Is their six new from the ground up? Or is it borrowed from an affiliate?

11. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Believe its all new, complete with timing chain on rear of engine.

12. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Hopefully the guides and everything hold up. Audi did that before and the guides would wear down so it was the biggest pain in the [I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] to fix

wtxiceman likes this.
  13. GhengisT

GhengisT Member

The dealer had our Ram ED for exactly four weeks, awaiting the motor swap, with no estimated time to completion. Decided to load up the newborn and we drove an hour south to the dealer to get the ball rolling on a trade-in. Got out of the EcoDiesel without losing too much skin, and into a new 2019 Ram 1500 BigHorn CrewCab w/ 5.7 Hemi. They gave me about $2500 over KBB trade-in given the circumstances of my previous truck and the engine failure. I received an update about a week later that my truck would be ready the following week (6wks total downtime).

Since my previous two vehicles were white, I decided to change it up a bit and went for one of the trucks with the black package they had sitting on the lot. Really happy with the new truck so far and have racked up about 500mi on her.

They roped me into the 8 or 10 prepaid oil changes and the Max Care extended warranty unbeknownst to me, but they were options I had on the previous truck, so I'm back where I started. No qualms with the maintenance package or warranty, but I am paying slightly more per-month than I was with the previous truck and could've spared the additional monthly expense.

Does anyone here recommend using something other than the factory filled 5w20 in the 5.7 Hemi? I was considering Redline 5w20 or 5w30.

I plan on oil and filter changes every 4K miles (per the heavy duty operation in the manual). I won't be towing more than a couple times a year and always drive gentle until the oil temp reaches 150F+, but will be driving as if stolen thereafter in mixed city/hwy.

[​IMG]

#233 GhengisT, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    saltydog, UN4GTBL, WXman and 4 others like this.
  14. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

Stick with the 5 20 whether Dino or Synth. I always let the truck tell me when to change the oil. Usually around 8000 km mark.

15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Agreed. Stick with the 5w-20 whether synthetic or conventional. Make sure the oil meets the MS (Material Standards) specifications in the owner's manual.

FWIW - I have an '06 Ram 1500 SLT QC SB w/5.7L Hemi (MDS) that now has over 262K miles and I have used nothing but 5w-20 conventional and no engine problems to date (aside from replacing EGR's). Mine predates the oil change reminders so I usually change it every 5,000-6,000 miles. It only gets driven about 600 miles a month now since I telecommute. Up to a couple of years ago I averaged 30,000 miles per year.

Congrats on your purchase. The Hemi should serve you well.

HotCarNut, tlc and link3721 like this.
  16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Nice truck. The oil change calculation takes into account things like cold starts and severe use like towing. Changing at 4K is going to waste money. Keep the recommended oil viscosity or you’ll light the check engine light.

Tony K, HotCarNut, MPE426HEMI and 4 others like this.
  17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

5W20 is needed for the cylinder deactivation system. Anything else can destroy it.

We use the oil change computer on our 300C and it usually gives us 10,000 miles - we use synthetic so that's FINE.

HotCarNut, Doug D and Erik Latranyi like this.
  18. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Beautiful truck!
    There is no better oil IMO than Redline! That said, probably overkill for a 5.7 Hemi. Pennzoil is the factory fill I believe. It meets the MS-6395 requirement FCA has and you can pick it up at Walmart...along with the factory Mopar filter.

HotCarNut likes this.
  19. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

I let the vehicles computer tell me when to change the oil. (Usually every 6 months for me.) I buy the recommended grade (5w20, in my case) and the Pennzoil brand, since Walmart almost always has it bulk at a great price. I can't complain.

20. Illegal Machine

Illegal Machine Active Member

ALL BLACK DODGE RAM!! CLUTCH!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcO0N2xiLSo