AF: EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews | Page 13 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by BobbiBigWheels, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Your driving cycle doesn't sound really heavy duty/severe service, especially with better quality synthetic oils. Get something like "Castrol 03086 EDGE Extended Performance 5W-20 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil" which is MS-6395, and let the computer tell you when to change the oil. I've NEVER changed the oil at less than 5000 miles on a Chrysler product since the 90s, and all of mine have probably run well into the 300,000 mile range. My 92 Dakota 3.9 Sport had to have had over 300,000 on it the last time I saw it in 2011 on Father's Day (I know that truck, still had the dent in the front bumper from Ft. Sill in 95), and I think that was on Dino oil. I traded it at 192k in 2001. I ran dino and Amsoil in the 99 1500 318 and it had over 175,000 on it, running strong, when I traded it for a 2005 with a C motor (B series). I'm running M1 0W40 FS (MB 229.5) in the diesel Grand Cherokee (MB OM642, 2008), and she's over 150k. That one's at 4000 miles on the current oil, and I'm going to pull a sample to send to Blackstone next month. It runs nearly 10 qts and can handle OCIs up to 15k per MB, and that's WITH emissions crap on it. My next OC will be Chevron Delo 400 XSP 5w30. After perusing MB Bevo, the one after that will probably be the same spec in 5w40, since I can get that weight cheap at WalMart. MB Bevo shows Delo 400 XSP 5w40 on the 228.51 list despite it not being on labels or product data sheets.

#241 Tony K, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  2. WXman

WXman Active Member

I'll be the odd man out here and say go with 5W30. MY opinion, do what you will with your own truck.

I've done oil analysis on 20 vs. 30 and the fact is there is less wear with 30. Which of course makes perfect sense considering that truck engines work hard and run hot, and hot oil shears and breaks down faster.

The story that only 5W20 will work with cylinder deactivation, VVT, etc. is a myth.

Also, there have been former engineers who in interviews have confessed that the switch to 20-weight oils was purely a fuel economy play. Each tiny little bit of MPG they can pick up, no matter how small, adds up when you're mass producing these vehicles. It results in finding more favor with the EPA. Note, if you will, the way the 3.6L engine was switched from a 5W30 spec to a 5W20 spec with NO changes to the engine internals. Competitors' have switched from 5W30 to 5W20 specs on their engines with VVT, cylinder deactivation, etc. over the years as well.

The interest of FCA is to save money in EPA penalties and get the consumers through the warranty period, which a 5W20 oil will do just fine. Heck, they're even looking at 0W16 oils soon. But the interest of the consumer is to have an engine with proper wear protection and long service life. Hmm... conflicting interests, eh?

All 3 of the vehicles in my driveway spec 5W20. All 3 of them get nothing but 5W30 now that I've seen oil analysis on both.

saltydog and wtxiceman like this.
  3. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

You can get away with it in the Pentastar...it doesn't have MDS and isn't looking at the oil...the Hemi does and will throw a code if it detects the wrong oil being used. Now you won't get a check engine light..but the code is there so if you have an engine failure within warranty FCA can and will deny it.
    So best to use the recommended factory MS-6395 spec oil during warranty..which is now 60K and not 100K I believe?

UN4GTBL and Doug D like this.
  4. GhengisT

GhengisT Member

My dad has a '05 Ram 2500 w/ 5.7 and has strictly run 5w30 since new. About 140K miles on it and runs silky smooth, said he has to look at the tach to see if it's still running while at stop lights, etc. Of course, his 5.7 is pre-MDS.

I'll stick with the 5W-20 throughout the warranty since there is no mention of 5W-30 anywhere in my 2019's owners manual. Will have the dealer do the oil changes via prepaid maintenance plan, so I don't have to keep track of receipts or have any trouble with potential warranty claims.

Knock on wood, this Hemi will be much more reliable than the EcoD.

Doug D likes this.
  5. 1985glht

1985glht Member

A very good friend of mine has been a Chrysler Corp. mechanic for forever. He stated the same thing you have stated. He sees more camshafts wearing prematurely in engines that are specked for 5w20 than the older ones specked with 5w30... he feels that the oil is too thin... not trying to start an argument, this is just an observation that he told me

wtxiceman likes this.
  6. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Well my '06 MDS Hemi is at 231,000 running only 5w20 or 0w20 oil...so I don't see a reason to run 5w30 for longevity...and I run the piss out of it too.

Doug D likes this.
  7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

263K on my '06 MDS Hemi. :)

Chase300 and Bob Lincoln like this.
  8. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

TFL just dropped a mileage test on a 2020 1500 Ecodiesel. Maybe someone smarter then me can post a link. The results especially the empty highway loop was very impressive. Check it out.

saltydog likes this.
  9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Is this the one?

I don’t think there was ever any doubt that EcoDiesel power and MPG numbers would look good.

The underlying doubt is whether the motor will last more than 60,000 miles.

10. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

aldo90731 and saltydog like this.
  11. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

They are supposed to do the unladen mileage loop again just to make sure it wasnt a mistake.

12. Alexander H

Alexander H New Member

I have a question: new member here. I have a 2014 JGC Summit with the 3.0 diesel. Recently the engine seized on the highway while towing. I wasn't paying enough attention and it overheated; well under the tow rating and not going very fast.

My question is, will a used engine from a Ram 1500 ecodiesel mate up with my Jeep? The used prices on the 3.0 for the Jeep seem to be significantly higher than on Ram's; I'm guessing this is due to the low number of Jeep's sold with this engine, relative to Ram's.

Thanks for any insight!

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I'd think so, they have the same transmissions and they are basically the same engine, though in different tune. The question would be whether you can pass emissions with it, and whether the computer will accept it. What caused it to overheat? The dash didn't go "bong" to warn you? (I'm wondering if the radiator slats stuck closed which would affect the next engine too)

Also wondering if FCA has any extended warranty on these

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

First, if you are concerned about oil issues, use synthetic. Not blend, real synthetic.

Second, there are lots of police departments who did what you did and ended up with problems, so I am thinking it is not just a myth.

You are one data point. Fleets have dozens of cars and they had problems with any but the correct oil.

Tony K and saltydog like this.
  15. Alexander H

Alexander H New Member

Hi Dave, thanks for the quick response!

No warning chimes until the low oil pressure light came on and the engine ran roughly. At that point it didn't matter that I pulled over immediately: the damage was done.

I'm not worried about emissions: we don't have testing for that in Maine, but the computer acceptance is something I don't know about. Just trying to get some ideas since I need to order an engine soon and the Ram ecodiesels are significantly cheaper than Jeep. On the surface it would seem it should be a straightforward swap, but I didn't know if anyone had any experience with it.

16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The interchange books do not list the two engines as interchangeable, so you are taking a gamble if you get the Ram engine.
    Is it possible you could strip the engine down far enough removing Ram specific parts and replacing them with the Jeep specific parts? Maybe, but you may have more time spent on that than getting the correct engine.

17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I truly do wonder what's different. I'd assume the engine computer programming is different. There must be some packaging differences to make the thing fit under the hood of the Jeep and Ram, respectively. It was apparently a big deal to get the Cummins V6 into the Ram; I wonder if part of the difference is the turbo routing? I would guess the internals are the same, and it's the dressing that's different. Not a job I would approach but I've never taken an engine apart; it's one reason I've stuck with Mopars. Never had engine trouble. Never had transmission trouble save for one destroyed by a local dealer and one leak on a high-miles '88-or-so minivan that a local mechanic kindly turned into a completely seal blowout. Okay, lots of suspension issues... with age...

18. Bigun426

Level 2 Supporter

The engine block casting maybe different to accommodate the motor mounts. The motor mounts are probably different between the ram and jeep. The radiator and hoeses may be different between the two. Might think about doing a complete delete and get the ecm reprogrammed. This particular engine with the past emissions problems could be a check engine light nightmare when trying to keep the swap oem.

19. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Does anyone have any info regarding that spec? What does it cover that SN doesn't? I would bet there are way better specs (MB 229.5/51/52 and VW 504/507 for example) but not knowing what MS-6395 "fixes" I hesitate to say. I know some DC era Mopars that spec this oil had a Euro exception to use MB 229.5 or .51.

20. Alexander H

Alexander H New Member

Thanks for all the input. I'm just going to get a used engine for the Jeep; it sounds like there are too many things that could go wrong with trying to make the Ram engine work. It was worth a try!