AF: EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by BobbiBigWheels, Apr 20, 2018.

1. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Yikes!

2. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

Definitely a design flaw. There’s an aftermarket diesel shop that has an in house repair for these engines. The cam gears are a press fit onto the end of the camshaft. It’s not even keyed to prevent slipping. An explanation of this problem was explained as follows:
    This design holds 3 gears together with 1 long, black oxide bolt. Eventually, stress & heat will cause thermal expansion and contraction leading to a loss in tension, due to the timing chain dragging against the gears , combined with a high pressure fuel pump that must provide 28,000 psi of fuel pressure at 3000-4500 RPM. The stresses will eventually lead to a total slippage, which will slam the exhaust valves into the pistons at different distances, depending how much the timing chain pulls the gear out of sync. If it slips too much, the exhaust valve will blow all the way through the piston, causing piston breakage, broken wrist pin and/or leading to a broken connecting rod/ or other lower end failure.”

BASONE88 and wtxiceman like this.
  3. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

He made sure to follow the maintenance schedule, he did his own oil changes and fuel filter changes.

The story he related was about someone that had their Ecodiesel in to the dealer three times in the first 1000 miles.
    The dealer had that owner do a detailed log of his driving.
    Turns out he was using it only in city driving and his commute was only 15 minutes.
    The dealer said that kind of driving was something the Ecodiesel doesn't like.

Tony K and UN4GTBL like this.
  4. WXman

WXman Active Member

I was at my dealership the Saturday morning before Memorial Day getting the wife's 2018 Cherokee serviced and a man came in with a Ram EcoDiesel asking for help. Said that his dash displayed a "lightning bolt" and he needed service. Apparently it was an electronic throttle control fault, but he said the truck was otherwise driving OK. After the service writer went to go find a technician to look at it, I struck up a conversation and asked if he liked his EcoDiesel. He said he has 106,000 miles on it and this is the first time it's ever been to the dealership needing service. Whoa!

Seems to me that the EcoDiesel is very much like the old 4.0L I-6. They either last forever, or they die young. There is no grey area.

5. Backorder

Backorder Active Member

Life is less kind to the diesels because most buyers don't need diesels and don't use them in ways that make good use of them.

6. redhed

Level III Supporter

Will a design change be implemented on the cam gears with the updated Ecodiesel when it becomes available again?

HotCarNut and xjgary like this.
  7. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Well-Known Member

One would hope so, if it’s that much of a problem. I guess it depends on failure rates vs. cost. I don’t have any data on how common a failure it is. If a Diesel engine shop has come up with a advertised repair, it must be more than just a little problem. I’m not a diesel buyer so, it’s just another reason for me to avoid it altogether. I hope they get it sorted out.

HotCarNut, redhed and xjgary like this.
  8. CalTech

CalTech New Member

I purchased a 2017 Ecodiesel in March. The mileage was great, and I figured that in the fourth year of production, they would have most of the issues squared away. I was wrong.
    At 9,000 miles and highway speed, I heard a loud “bang’ from the engine compartment and the engine died. I was able to get to to the side of the road and it wouldn’t turn over. After getting it to the nearest dealer, they said that the engine seized. It’s day 19, and still no ETA on an engine as the dealer said that there are none in stock nationwide. They said that this is their second seized engine, and they are a small dealership.
    My commute is 67 miles one way, so the truck was getting up to operating temps, and I drove it like a diesel should be driven (not like a sports car).
    I really liked this truck, however after not making it to the first oil change, and reading up on others experiences, I’m convinced that they haven’t figured out what is causing so many engine failures.

Hemidakota likes this.
  9. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Are you getting a loaner vehicle?

10. CalTech

CalTech New Member

I did, but turned it back in as I’ve got an extra vehicle and would rather drive it than the loaner.

11. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

It appears as though FCA is just going to wait until the 2019 Ram EcoDiesel is available. I have been looking anxiously for a TSB, recall, or any sort of ownership by FCA to at least acknowledge the issue. It appears they are ignoring it and just waiting until the "new" EcoDiesel debuts in the all-new Ram.

12. TrueNorthTint

TrueNorthTint Active Member

You mention that it didn't make it to its first oil change... what was the oil life monitor at at 9,000 miles? Seems like a lot of miles without its first OLF. I recommend my customers come it at 5000km for their first service, no matter the engine.

13. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Wow so sad, when I bought my RAM, the Ecodiesel was only a couple grand more. With out warning I would of bought one in a heart beat.

WIl

14. CalTech

CalTech New Member

I was planning for 10K mi as outlined in the owners manual and most of the miles were easy highway miles. I didn’t get a chance to check the oil life monitor.

15. CalTech

CalTech New Member

My guess (and it’s only a guess) is that they did the math and will just replace engines until all are out of warranty.

saltydog likes this.
  16. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

sad but true

17. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

So ... Bottom line is : " Write-off " the Eco-Diesel.

To be removed from the options list? Or ... ?

Given the impact of the Diesel scandals and companies leaning more heavily on electrification, Will VM Motori be re-packaged and sold?

18. srmitchell

srmitchell Active Member

I don’t understand. So they aren’t selling 1500’s because of the possible gear issue?
    Because there’s multiple ecodiesel Grand Cherokee’s at my local dealer. All 2018’s. So the stop sale ended for those? Has there been a failure issue with the Grands?
    At least now you can get a Trailhawk in diesel!
    New 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4 For Sale in Orange County & Huntington Beach, CA | 1C4RJFLM2JC393926 (at https://www.hbchryslerdodgejeepram.com/new/Jeep/2018-Jeep-Grand+Cherokee-orange-county-8feda8810a0e0a6b614f4bb04a313df6.htm )

UN4GTBL likes this.
  19. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

It seems the EcoDiesel failures are much more common in the Ram application than in the Grand Cherokees. I think the transmission, software and other features are enough of a difference to be problematic in one and not the other.

Given the rejection of diesel politically, I would not be surprised if we do not see another generation of EcoDiesel. The investment would be better suited for alternatives.

HotCarNut and aldo90731 like this.
  20. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Sad..... Really wanted a Rubicon JT with the EcoDiesel. was going to use it for light towing (6 times a year at 5,000lbs). Now I'm wondering what to do.

Hemidakota likes this.