AF: EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by BobbiBigWheels, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Same here...I was waiting on the mild hybrid 2019 Rams or the new Ecodiesel, but then again, I don't want the aggravation of going to the dealership.

2. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Personally, I would not buy one. I have seen too many complete engine replacements - including one the other day with only around 15,000 miles on it. I'm not doubting that they can improve them, but by the time that happens the benefits of diesel will be nothing compared to a mild hybrid gasoline engine.

aldo90731 and Chase300 like this.
  3. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road

I'm also thinking about holding off on the diesel until we get more info about the hybrid (also give me some more time to get money together). I know that the diesel is likely to produce more torque overall, but the hybrid may have a better torque curve due to the electric system. I'd rather wait and make sure I'm getting the Wrangler I want.

guyverfanatic, HotCarNut and Ryan like this.
  4. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

It is amazing how FCA could take the pent-up demand for a diesel Wrangler and crush it due to their absolute lack of focus on quality.

5. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

VM, an in-house brand, slots-in nicely with the holdings.

6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

7. Anthony James

Anthony James New Member

Another Eco down. I just bought my 2017 in March of this year, 2018, brand new. It got its first oil change at the dealer August 22, 2018. Engine died September 1, 2018. Sad because I really liked it along with its MPF

8. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

What type of failure did you have?

How many miles on it?

9. aldo90731

This would be a repeat of how Chrysler mishandled the Caravan transaxle issue 15-20 years ago. It ended costing them the defection, for good, of a ton of households that had been buying minivan after minivan.

#149 aldo90731, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  10. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

And it seems that they never learn a damn thing in all of this. Lost sales and lost integrity when times are good doesn't give you repeat customers when times are bad. I still believe this is middle management arrorgance in Auburn Hills. This has transcended to many owners to be anything but.

11. dakota21

Supporter

I bought my 2016 Outdoorsman Ecodiesel about a month ago. Had a tick under 40k miles when I got it. I plan on replacing both the oil and the oil filter at no more than every 8k miles. I only drive it about 2-3 days a week to work and my commute is about 25 miles, mostly highway. Hopefully that's a long enough commute as it does get up to operating temp halfway to work. I'm a little nervous about owning it, but hopefully being on top of the maintenance issue will keep it out of the shop.

I've been hearing a lot of owners recommending taking it to GDE in Michigan for a tune. They say it really helps the reliability of the engine. Any truth to this?

Ryan likes this.
  12. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Sorry to hear that amigo.

I'm extremely curious how FCA is going to market the all-new EcoDiesel and if they are going to mention any upgrades that directly correlate to these failures.

I doubt it will be "AND NOW IT WON'T SEIZE," however, "UPGRADED CAM GEARS" could be a point.

13. Adventurer55

Do the Grand Cherokee engines suffer from this as well?

14. 1999 White C5 Coupe

Level 2 Supporter

I was one of those people.....

Bought a new 1984 Dodge Caravan LE and loved it. Traded it for a new 1989 Dodge Grand Caravan LE with the new Ultradrive transmission. Great vehicle except - the transmission failed REPEATEDLY, and was repaired repeatedly or replaced while under warranty. I still had young children and the van was used for vacation trips, and other driving. We stopped taking it on vacation or weekend trips because we were afraid of breakdowns and being stranded with young children (although the warranty still was in effect). I never bought another Chrysler minivan and still have bad memories (and feelings) about that transmission and vehicle.

Later, I read numerous accounts about the miserable quality of the Ultradrive (including a good article on this web site). It was obvious Chrysler rushed the product into production knowing it was a poorly designed and built product. Although the vehicle was repaired repeatedly, Chrysler did not provide a loaner vehicle. I had to borrow a vehicle from a relative or rent a car to use.

A bad product (that the manufacturer knows) can burn them in the long run. A dissatisfied customer often tells many people about their bad experience. The can cause them to lose a loyal customer and prevent them from gaining new customers. Once the media seizes upon the poor quality product and publicizes it - the company will find it impossible to undue the damage.

15. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

I think the failures are only for the Ram 1500

16. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

:)

That might explain part of the reason for the delay though not why they keep selling the current design. Unless they did the fix as a running change.

17. Adventurer55

And that in of itself is kinda weird. Is there an internal difference between the Jeep and the Ram engines?
    What FCA should do is issue a recall and fix the customers engines. Imho, multiple catastrophic engine failures should automatically dictate a recall.

Panterasr9 likes this.
  18. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Are you saying like Hyundai has? They are still blowing engines all over

19. Adventurer55

No, what I'm saying is, if there's a problem with the cam gear flying off this engine, and it's been an issue since introduced then yes they should fix it. If your engine however dies from your neglect that's on you

Panterasr9 and wtxiceman like this.
  20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I would argue the difference is the load they carry. Same as the 1989 four-speed automatic in the Imperial and Caravan. No problems in the cars, big problems in the vans!