AF: EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews | Page 9 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EcoDiesel Engine Failures - Anecdotal and Reviews

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by BobbiBigWheels, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Very true Dave, but then why does the Pentastar survive in all of them and the diesel does not?

vipergg likes this.
  2. redhed

Level III Supporter

truly not trying to be argumentative, but is that backed up by facts? i knew of a few people back then who drove K car derivatives with that tranny, and they had issues, especially the first year or two the tranny was installed in chrysler vehicles.

Adventurer55 and valiant67 like this.
  3. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The UltraDrive was problematic in all the vehicles which it was installed in. It was a final straw for many long time buyers. That FCA let history repeat itself with the 9-speed transaxle and EcoDiesel is hard to conceive.

4. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

5. Anthony James

Anthony James New Member

I guess I'll know in 2 to 3 days about my engine. I'm a little nervous that even if they replace it with a new motor it will do the same thing. I don't think they have done any upgrades to the engines!

6. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member

wtxiceman likes this.
  7. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member

Allpar article about the EcoDiesel and the catalytic converter failures prior to 2015 that were "fixed".

Current failures are far more severe in nature, but the EcoDiesel seems to have been plagued with issues from the beginning when FCA and VM expanded production to accommodate the Ram demand.

Another example of FCA doing things on the cheap today and paying for it tomorrow.

8. Jason E

Jason E Active Member

Reading stuff like this is exactly why when I grab my JL in 3 more years when my CTS V is paid off, I'm going to go for a plain old Pentastar with a 6 speed. No eTorque, diesel, or any other crap. There's a reason Wranglers last forever...they're just about as simple as you can get.

I know they're supposed to make a diesel JL eventually...I will not be in line for one.

9. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Don't forget though - the 3.6 in the Wrangler had some teething problems too in the beginning. Granted it was the cylinder head and not a complete engine failure.

Erik Latranyi, HotCarNut and GasAxe like this.
  10. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Please correct me if I am mistaking or partly wrong here. Out of spec valve guides and only on the driver's side. Heads were produced in two different plants as well. I had an August 2011 built JK. One of the first with the 3.6L and had this problem. Huge thanks to this forum because i was ahead of the game on the issue and was able to be on the very front end of when they started to replace under warranty. I got mine fixed before they started to go on back order.

11. Shanny

Shanny Member

Another eco blown up mine had just over 80,000.Bearing debris filled oil pan.Really too bad I loved this Truck. Having trouble deciding what to do when its Repaired do I trade it in for a Gasser or Keep it.

12. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

If i was in your shoes and liked the engine other then the failure i'd wait for it to come to the new ram if it ever gets here

13. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Welcome to AllPar.

Ride it into the ground, and maybe pick-up a warranty while you do it and wait for the 5th gen Ram's new EcoDiesel engine to have a year in the marketplace.

guyverfanatic likes this.
  14. ECT72

ECT72 Active Member

That sucks. I hope they are covering at least part of your repair bill

guyverfanatic likes this.
  15. Jim kellenberger

I have a 2016 ram eco diesel. The other day, at 39,000 miles i lost oil pressure, about half my power and took it straight to the dealer that was about 1.5 miles away. Today they told me the oil pump was out. The disturbing thing was they asked me if i changed the oil regularly and what oil I used. I get they want to make sure the maintenance was up to date but after reading a ton of forums on this engine failing, it was more of an insult.
    FCA needs to do the right thing and offer a buy back program. There are a couple law suits in progress regarding this issue but at 39000 miles, come on, an engine shouldn’t die. Tomorrow they are dropping the oil pan to see what other damage was done.

16. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

If you get it then why is it an insult? They need to know the history of how an engine was taken care of to rule out possibilities, not everyone follows the manual to a t

17. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

To keep the warranty in effect it is the responsibility of the owner to show all required maintenance is up to date and has been followed according to the manufacturers schedule. It's not meant to insult anyone.

18. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

I just don't understand why FCA can have so many problems with this engine. It's not like the diesel engine was just invented.
    In this day and age of modern technology there is just no excuse for it. This whole thing disappoints me greatly.
    Incompetence ?

guyverfanatic and xjgary like this.
  19. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

This is why I have all service done at the dealer while under warranty. If there's a service f*ck up, they can only blame themselves.

Tony K, guyverfanatic, redhed and 2 others like this.
  20. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

And it's fairly common for people not to follow the recommended service schedule on an EcoDiesel.

guyverfanatic and Backorder like this.