AF: Ecodiesel Service | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ecodiesel Service

Discussion in 'Car Dealer Hangout' started by ohhryan, Mar 8, 2018.

1. ohhryan

ohhryan Active Member

86,000 miles and back at the dealer for what will likely be the 3rd set of replacement fuel injectors.

2. OfficialMopar

OfficialMopar Official Mopar Reps
    Level 2 Supporter

I regret to hear that, Ryan. If you would like additional assistance while working with the dealer, please send us a private message.

Kate
    MoparCares

Morty, wtxiceman and Dave Z like this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

And for everyone, if you write a real paper letter to Mike Manley, it will go to the correct department for attention. Sadly Pietro Gorlier has moved on to Europe, but he used to read them personally...

4. ohhryan

ohhryan Active Member

Dealer told me to find a different place to fill up on diesel.

5. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

In my years of working on Cummins, Daimler and VM diesel fuel systems, I found that most problems were in fact, caused by the diesel fuel quality itself.
    The advanced Ecodiesel isn't the only casualty of fuel system problems. The ULSD fuel and DEF technology hasn't quite caught up to the fuel system and engine technology, regardless of make or model:
    What Is Clean Diesel? | Diesel Technology Forum (at https://www.dieselforum.org/about-clean-diesel/what-is-clean-diesel )

A quality DEF fluid is best:
    http://www.weirparts.com/msds/Chrysler2015/DieselExhausetFluidDEF.pdf

Dave Z likes this.
  6. ohhryan

ohhryan Active Member

If fuel quality is such an issue than FCA should be designing with some sort of safety factor/tolerance for such fuel issues. I always fill up at the same station which is relatively new and has high turnover. Now I have to find somewhere else and I will try to make sure it's a different brand of fuel. Sooner or later this engine will likely have other issues and then FCA will probably try to blame me for driving around with CEL on that they can't seem to stop. No vehicle should take two full sets of injectors at ~75,000 miles.

7. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

The automakers design for what the fuel sellers tell them the minimum standard is.
    FCA in the past has used a single brand of oil and a single brand of fuel for cost reasons. It has gotten them into trouble before.

ohhryan and valiant67 like this.
  8. ohhryan

ohhryan Active Member

I've now been told that the use of injector cleaner is a required maintenance item. Previously, the dealer provided the cleaner at no cost. Now I have to purchase it in an attempt to clear the CEL.

I wonder if any changes were made to the engine to compensate for American diesel when compared to European standards? Also will be interested to see if the new generation of the engine fixes these issues or Iif the injector part # has changed.

9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The fuel needs to be refined further. The BlueTec engine itself isn't perfect, but it isn't the main problem here. Injectors are the symptom, not the cause.

Dave Z likes this.
  10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I think part of the issue here is that the American fuel industry promised to deliver, and the government promised to regulate the fuel industry, and both failed. FCA made the engines based on what they expected conditions to be. They had a vaguely similar issue when the 2.2 came out and some companies were still selling paraffin-heavy oils which I suspect could not possibly have conformed to the SAE standards on the label. (Look up site:allpar.com paraffin Rozman for the fun story)

ImperialCrown likes this.
  11. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

At one time a Diesel engine was a nice item, longevity, fuel economy etc. The emission laws have now made them essentially useless due to the temperamental nature of the systems. I was working in a Dodge, Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz dealership when the first round of reduced sulfur fuel arrived. Boy did we have problems with scored pintles in the Bosch injectors. We had a 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale with the 5.7L Diesel, it wasn't a perfect engine by anyone's standards. During an airline strike I drove it to Jacksonville FL from SE Virginia. The team at the MB training center "borrowed" it (got a full tank of fresh Diesel from them). We were in one of the classes and I heard the characteristic sound of the Olds 5.7L Diesel running up on the chassis dyno. They were highly impressed with even the early Roosamaster injection nozzles for resistance to galling or seizing.

5 or 10 years ago I would have jumped on a nice 3/4 - 1 ton Diesel truck, not now, I'll keep my near indestructible 7.5L gas engine

12. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

If (and that's a big if) I were to buy a diesel powered truck I would search out one of the old 5.9L Cummins from back in the early 2000's. I want to be impressed with the 3.0L EcoDiesel, but so far I am not. Realistically, I could not justify the purchase of even a new $70K Ram HD w/Cummins. I don't do enough hauling or towing. If I were to get a HD, I would lean towards one with the 6.4L Hemi. I can buy a lot of gasoline for the price difference between a Cummins and a Hemi.

wtxiceman likes this.
  13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Don't blame the emissions laws, blame the refineries for taking shortcuts. Europe seems to be able to make low-sulfur diesel just fine.

The particulates are bad. No shortage of research on that.