AF: Electric Viper and Hellcat? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Viper and Hellcat?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Charger, Mar 31, 2020.

1. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

i JUST SAID "MID SIZER" WHICH TODAY A CAR MEANS A CUV.

2. 55Plaza

55Plaza Well-Known Member

The last time I actually bought gas was Jan 25th ... but my Durango is ready to go when I am. Can an electric vehicle sit for 11+ weeks without being plugged in and be ready to go?

3. somber

somber 370,000 miles

For over 30 years I've wanted an electric car, but just additional range and more charging stations isn't enough for me. It must also be price competitive with a comparable ICE vehicle , and I think it may take longer than 3 years for prices to come down enough. I'm also not happy with the fire hazard that exists with current battery packs.

I believe electrics will eventually be superior in just about every way to ICE - lower maintenance, more reliable, lower cost, better performance, more convenient, safer. Key will be battery advancements, and the coming solid state battery tech is pretty exciting.

MJAB, cdjr77, Dave Z and 2 others like this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

About the only one of our current vehicles that MIGHT be able to sit that long is my wife’s Encore. Our A3 generates more alarms and warning lights than I can keep track of (I don’t trust it at all) and my Mustang will die if I let it sit for a week...parasitic drain going on that I haven’t had time to diagnose. I did install a battery cut-off switch, so there’s that...lol. I get what you’re saying, just our “fleet” ain’t up to snuff currently.

I wouldn’t mind an electric vehicle at all, I just have to be comfortable that there are enough charging stations that I can charge whenever I need to. And what happens if you run out of charge while driving? Tow?

5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Probably better than any German gasoline car...! Our fleet has been fine sitting around but VW-Audi has long had issues that prevent them from enduring long term storage. For a while if you didn't use your VW for three weeks, you'd have to get the computer replaced...

6. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Fire hazard is a Tesla problem. Everyone else uses a far more stable kind of battery chemistry that is no more fire prone than a tank of gasoline.

MJAB, T_690 and Dave Z like this.
  7. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

What do they use Lithium Polymer or Lithium Phosphate? If they are anything like the Lipo battaries in the modern RC cars I dont doubt the fire hazard.

8. somber

somber 370,000 miles

The price target for automotive battery packs where electric becomes cost-competitive with ICE is considered to be around $100 per kilowatt-hour. Today's price is around $150/kwh. This Bloomberg New Energy Finance report from last year was projecting sub-$100/kwh by 2024, but I've since read that they've brought the projection in another year, expecting to break $100/kwh by 2023. I would expect that by then the value proposition for electric cars will be much better (but I'm still waiting for the fire safety of solid state).

Here's a layman-level article from yesterday about a project working on solid state batteries using ceramic electrolyte. There is discussion on how important reducing operating temperature is (with current batteries around 80 degrees C).

Dave Z and MJAB like this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter