Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine dies when coming to a stop

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by Danny1983, May 5, 2017.

1. Danny1983

Danny1983 New Member

My 1987 Dodge truck dies when I come up to a stop, if I push in the clutch and ride it to the stop it dies, I can down shift through the gears and majority of the time it won't die but sometimes does, but that's if I'm prepared. If the light turns red on me or some one turns it'll die. but it doesn't die at lower that 15mph though. BTW the engine was swapped with a magnum out of a 92. I was thinking fuel pump but it doesn't cut out or die when idling or anything else except when stopping.
    Thought?
    Thanks

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Drive it with a fuel pressure gauge pinned under a wiper blade to watch for a pressure drop when stopping. It could be a problem inside the tank?
    Does fuel level matter?
    Speed sensor working? It will need one to keep idle speed up during decel (like a dashpot). Is the PCM also out of a stick-shift truck?
    Is the wire harness secure? It may be moving around and shorting/opening when braking?

3. Danny1983

Danny1983 New Member

Thanks Imperial. Those are some questions to ponder, the only one I can answer is it does it regardless of it being full or a quarter tank

4. Danny1983

Danny1983 New Member

where do I hook the fuel pressure gauge at? The hose that connects the fuel rails? Also what PSI am I looking for? One place I read 35-45, then I seen something else about 16psi. And I got a Bosch vacuum & fuel pressure tester kit, and the fuel pressure side only goes to 10psi.
    Thanks

5. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

Does your brake booster hold vacuum?

6. Danny1983

Danny1983 New Member

Well, I think so, I don't have any problems with my brakes. But what's your idea?

7. 2012srtchallenger

Supporter

I would think they installed magnum fuel system not a four barrel intake and carb?,if it's injected can it be scanned?maybe throttle position sensor problem?

8. bguy

bguy Well-Known Member

Your booster may be chewing up just enough vacuum to let the motor run ok but when you ask for that quick brake application the booster overpowers the engine vacuum enough to stall it. It's a stretch.