Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Mounts - which brand is best?

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by Hillary, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Hillary

Hillary Member

Hi all, I've been working on my '64 Valiant and am shopping for engine mounts. I know which part numbers (thanks to this website!) but am wondering which brand is best? I imagine Westar and DEA vary in quality that can make a diff between 5 years or 20. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

2. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

My experience with old car mounts is that they are not very high quality, but since most old cars are not driven much, they don't need to stand up to daily use. Most I've seen in the past several years, no matter which brand, have been made in India. My suggestion is to get some while they are available, as there are often long gaps in availability.

The last ones I bought for my '64 Valiant slant six were Westar and I had to re-thread one side to get the nuts installed. Your experience may vary.

3. ClayBelt40's

ClayBelt40's Member

Perhaps try some variant of the universal mounts if you plan to drive it? Old car mounts make sense for concourse, but if you plan to drive it, more reliable ones might not be a bad idea

4. LarryK

LarryK New Member

I ordered three different types of mounts for my 64. Wound up using a left side for the right and my old family auto parts store had a new replacement for the left, had been in sealed box for quite a few years. Then the engine was too low, the pan rested on frame, so I made shims and raised the mounts about 1/4 " for space. Replacement mounts were not as high in profile as the original. Originals were loose, so I replaced them. The left mount came from a V-8 #. Matched original, but lower rubber profile.

5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I just replaced one OEM mount and one aftermarket solid rubber mount that was causing severe vibration, with Westar brand. Car is as smooth as can be now.

Volunteer likes this.