Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine/transmission Bell Housings

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by TWX, Aug 19, 2009.

1. dana44

Ad-Free Member

What pattern does the 3.8 in the Jeep Wrangler use? Is it the A/LA/Hemi pattern or a different one? This would be the perfect enigne for the Triumph (narrow, light, able to build some decent power). I won't be able to use the 42DCOE carbs, but oh well, I should be able to get an easy 300hp out of this new stronger engine without too much difficulty.

2. plypete

plypete Member

Just a note on pre 62 torqueflites. Although the bell housing may bolt up to the block on the on the later counterparts, (LA, B, RB) engines, you would also need to have a pre-62 crankshaft in the later year engine. Before 62, (cast iron torqueflites) there was no flex plate used. They had an eight bolt flange on the crank that bolted directly to the torque converter. I believe the distance the crank flange protrudes from the back of the block differs by about an inch also.

3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Let me see if anyone can give the answer to this one.

The 3.5 in the 300/charger sedan has a RWD auto behind it, but is it the same bolt pattern as the 5.7 Hemi tranny, or is it different? If it is the same, then I would assume, also, that the manual tranny would work behind it also?

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

This is good news, thanks. TWX, the front page needs updated accordingly, and totally good news!

5. digitalrailroader

digitalrailroader Active Member

Well, the number cast on my Bellhousing is 515-AA, but My A-604 did not have that smaller number cast on it.

6. RogerDodger

RogerDodger New Member

Hi, this is my first time replying to anything here. I hope that I'm doing it right. In reference to this statement:"Also keep in mind a 5.2/5.9 Magnum engine in a Jeep is a different bolt pattern than the same engine in a Dodge truck or van".
    My son installed a 5.2 magnum from a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee into his 1983 Chrysler 5th Avenue. It bolted right up to the original 904 transmission in the car. The only thing he had to do was cut notch in the bell housing for the crank sensor.

7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I believe you are right, the engine does not change, only the transmission does. The Jeep transmission has the starter on the opposite side from the Dodge trucks.

8. draziw_one

draziw_one Member

I have a 2000 Intrepid which now has a 1999 3.2 in it. Had the 2.7 originally and we all know the horror stories about this engine, but this is not what I'm posting. I have 2 projects in mind and one being is to make my car into a rear wheel drive. I've been looking for an adapter or some sort of tranny setup to allow me to do that. Prefer a standard over an auto but if auto is the only way, well.....and the second idea is to make this a mid engine car by moving everything forward back so that the trans lines up with the rear wheels. The logistics says that the first project would be the easiest but I'm not always being about easy :))

9. diesel6DR5

diesel6DR5 New Member

Remember the Pontiac Tempest used a rear trans.

10. grem304

grem304 Member

The 215 aluminum engine of the 1960's was a V8 and was the engine later sold to Rover

11. Marc

Marc CAT parts wrangler

Not sure it's relevant to the discussion but Chrysler also made a Torqueflite 727 to fit International's small V8's - 304/345/392. It replaced the Borg-Warner unit around 1971. They would have been put in pickups, Travelalls, and Scout II's.

12. BlackSheep01

BlackSheep01 Active Member

augh. does this mean if I can find the 2.2 (running) in the appropriate Dakota I can use that block assembly to replace a broken FWD block?

13. 135SoHc

135SoHc Active Member

I dont see why not ?
    The block in my Shadow is a RWD block. Has the extra (unused) mounting bosses on the front below the distributor.

14. Wraithls1

Wraithls1 New Member

I know I am jumping into this discussion a little late but, I have some hands on experience. I have owned both a '96 Dakota and currently own a '95 Dakota, both 2.5 4cyl 5 spds. The '95 indeed has the 2.2/2.5 OHC K-car motor and the '96 had the OHV AMC 2.5 with the AMC/GM 60 deg V6 pattern. Both trucks had/have the same transmission (Aisin AW15). I've read that is fairly stout and was even put behind the V6s and V8s as well. To add another interesting side to this discussion. It is almost identical to a Toyota 5 spd (the R150 I think) the back half is differrent but the Bellhousing pattern (the tranny side, not the engine) and input shafts are the same. So you could swap a Mopar motor into a Toyota that way. I have also heard that the transmission side bell housing pattern interchanges with those in the new Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon manual 5spds.

15. Wraithls1

Wraithls1 New Member

Here is a tidbit I picked up from Jeeps-offroad.com:

"The Jeep/Dodge AX15 5-speed, the Jeep NV3550 5-speed, the Jeep NV1500, the Toyota R150F, R151F & R155F, the 87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo R154, the Isuzu AR5 and the Pontiac Solstice\Saturn Sky\Chevy Colorado\ GMC Canyon MA5 5-speeds all share the same case to bellhousing bolt pattern (Large Pattern)"

16. kcoolestdude

kcoolestdude Guest

a413 was the k-car tranny... also a neon tranny with a different bolt pattern. Here's a link to more info... it also covers some more trannys.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TorqueFlite

17. t vago

t vago Active Member

The Mitsu V6 bellhousings are almost identical to the LH V6 bellhousings. The principal differences are that:

- The starter location was moved downward due to the structural webbing present on the Mitsu V6 block between the bottom left engine bolt hole and the left cylinder bank lower bolt hole.
    - A water channel was cut into the top of the bellhousing, between the left and right cylinder bank upper bolt holes. This was to allow clearance for the Mitsu V6 water pump inlet pipe.

18. ELFASSI

ELFASSI Guest

Hi guys

I am french, i live in Paris and i have a beautiful chrysler voyager model 1989 with full red leather but the reverse gear don't work [​IMG]
    I have a classic A670 auto gearbox with this common problem....
    I would like swap to A604 overdrive that i found to another used voyager 3.0 like mine.

Does anyone get technical information....(TCC, wirelessetc, EATX...)????
    [​IMG]
    Is it difficult ???

Regards, Ben

19. KOG

KOG KOG
    Level 2 Supporter

We've replaced 604s with 670s in a couple of 3.0 minivans because the 670 works just as well with the 3.0 (same mileage and performance) and is a lot less expensive to rebuild. Keep your 670 with the 3.0. 3.0 doesn't have enough torque to use the 604 OD to good advantage.

20. mmerlinn

mmerlinn New Member

From the top these patterns are commonly called the following in the transmission industry:

• Slant six
    • Big block
    • Small block
    • Chevy
    • S10
    The following commonly-called patterns are not in your list at all.

• Wide block - Same as the small block except the hole (pilot hole I think) above the starter is moved 1/2". Known to exist for 1964 A727. Probably exists for A904.
    • Baby 904 - Fits the 097L4-16, 122L4-20, 156L4-26 engines in Mitsubishi built Dodge, Chrysler, & Mitsubishi RWD vehicles in the 1970s & early 1980s.
    • Audi - Fits the 121L4-20 Audi engine in RWD AMC cars in 1977-1979. Also found in Postal vehicles, dates unknown.
    • IHC - Fits International vehicles.
    • Omni - Fits the L4-17 Audi engine in the Omni.
    • A470 - Fits the L4-26 engine in minivans.
    • There is also a 904 Diesel pattern 1985-1986 for the 126L4=21 engine. Not sure what it fits, but I think it is Isuzu. No common name in the transmission industry, although if it fits Isuzu, that would be the name.
    • At least one more pattern for Jeeps is found in the A518 series of transmissions. Starter is low instead of at 3 o'clock like most RWD Chrysler transmissions. Might bolt up to a small block, but don't know.

These patterns fall into the following transmission categories:

• A904/A998/A999 - Baby 904, Audi, 904 Diesel
    • A727 - Wide block, IHC
    • A404 - Omni
    • A470 - A470

The GM Metric pattern only came on A904s, not A727s, nor A500s, nor A518s.

The Dakota pattern has an extra bolt hole below the starter. It will fit any A/LA/Modern Hemi engine.

The A404, A415, A470, A670, and A962 transaxles are basically identical except for the bell housing patterns.