Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ENGINE TRANSPLANT

Discussion in 'Daytona and Laser' started by Jack Foster, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Jack Foster

Jack Foster New Member

I bought a 2.5 engine/transmission from a 1992 labaron. The engine will go into my 1986 Chrysler Laser. Is there any problems i will face during the install. I will use my 3-speed auto that is presently in my car and I'm going to use my throttle body. Hopefully this engine is ok, my 2.2 only has 96,000 miles on it but only has around 110 psi compression. It has been popping back at low to midrange speeds under load. It has new plugs, cap rotor and coil.

2. dana44

Ad-Free Member

You have done a compression test, but have you pulled the head? I would pull it and check the valve condition to see what is going on. The one issue you would have is the computer itself, which, if not mistaken, was changed between those years, and the computer won't run the 2.5 dimensions. Unless the engine had been run low on oil, the bottom ends and rings last a heck of a lot longer than that, so damage there would not necessarily the issue, more likely a bad valve. If the engine is individual injector (I'm not positive on this) for your engine, get the injectors cleaned or replaced, the computer controls things enough that this is the reason for burned or leaking valves more than anything else.

3. Bob ONeill

Bob ONeill 325,000+ miles and counting...
    Level 2 Supporter

Normal compression on the 2.2 turbo is around 130psi. For you to measure 110 doesn't seem to be too far out of the 'normal' range though it is a bit low. If the rings are good and the valves are seating properly I would expect the compression on a non turbo to be higher.

Sure having a higher compression would make sense but if the valves are good as in they are properly sealing you should have no popping back.

I don't suspect that you need a new engine. You may need a valve job. But with only 100,000 on the clock I find that strange. Though, it has been 30 years.

My Daytona has the 2.5 and has over 330,000 on the clock. There is 'popping' at idle but it's done that for ever. I'm not sure you need to deal with the computer and wiring issues you'll deal with when swapping the 2.5 into the engine bay of an '86 where once sat a 2.2.

4. Jack Foster

Jack Foster New Member

I'm sorry i forgot to mention that the 2.2 i have is a turbo. I first checked my compression 3 out of four cylinders I had 70, 90 and 95. I tried some snake oil, restore, that is when my compression finally came up to 110. I bought a updated computer, 14 psi max boost. The car starts and runs ok, but seems to be really doggy until I get rolling. Will a 2.5 head with intake/exhaust help with the performance ?

5. Bob ONeill

Level 2 Supporter

The 2.2 and 2.5 head is the same head. The earlier versions of the engine were different than the later engines but most of the difference is in the lower end. Have you pulled the head? The 2.5 from '92...

Is it a turbo as well? If you were planning to use the '86 electronics with the '92 engine there is a huge difference especially if the '92 is a non turbo. The turbo computer will not work with the non turbo engine. Also, the intake and exhaust is totally different between the turbo and non turbo.

When I had the '86 Turbo Z C/S (pictured in my avatar) I had to do a good bit of electronics and wiring changes because I used an '88 intake with an '87 T2 computer. They moved the MAP sensor from the computer to a component on the firewall area passenger side.

But back to your issue. Please detail all you've done and what you plan to do with as many details as you can. In this way we can try to advise with the best info we can.

6. Jack Foster

Jack Foster New Member

My car has around 97,000 miles on it. It is a 1986 Chrysler laser with a 2.2 turbo automatic. I have done a complete tuneup, coil, plugs cap and rotor. Plus i have replaced the coil. My son and I have installed a cone K and N air filter with a 3 inch tubing. I have also install a complete 2 and half inch exhaust with no cat. I installed a reprogrammed computer with 14 max boost. The car does not burn oil. I picked up a replacement/core motor form a 1992 Chrysler labaron with a 2.5 turbo/auto. My plan is to put the 2.5 intake/exhaust and head on my 2.2 . I would like to get around 180-200 horsepower.

7. pt006

pt006 Active Member

You didn't mention if you changed the plug wires???

8. Bob ONeill

Level 2 Supporter

Jack, you'll need to do something with the lower end unless the compression problem is related to the valves. If you're going through the motions of replacing the head then you might as well pull the short block and have it honed and re-ring it.

To install a 2.5" exhaust on an '86 exhaust makes no sense to me at all. The turbo can't wrap its head around a pipe that large since the swing valve outlet is so much smaller.

Even the '92 turbo can't deal with 2.5" unless you open the outlet of the turbo.

When I built the engine for my '86 Turbo Z C/S my goal was about the same HP output as yours. But I also wanted high gas mileage. I believe I did get close to 180ish on the HP and I got 34.5 MPG on the highway.

Your other issue will be the automatic tranny. I'm not sure you'll get close to 200hp with an automatic since it is so parasitic. The cone air filter is OK but 3" tubing doesn't make sense because the '86 throttle body has a much smaller input and for the '86 setup the turbo attaches to the turbo so the turbo sucks through the TB. The '92 will be a totally different setup where the turbo will blow through the TB. Still while it won't hurt to have a larger intake 'tube' the restriction will still be the smallest opening for both the intake and exhaust.

If you want to get 180 to 200 HP you'll also need to consider the rods of the '86 lower end. The '86 T1 rods are not robust enough. You may wish to replace those with a later set of T2 rods. But, if you make that many changes you might as well find an '89 or later T2 common block 2.2 so you can keep your custom 2.2 computer. If you decide to use the 2.5 (which I believe I would do because of the additional torque and slightly higher HP capability) then you want to make sure you have a computer which can provide you with the proper fuel tables for the larger capacity of the engine.

There are some articles on allpar.com which describe the rebuild of my '86. Here is one of them. Restoring and augmenting a 1986 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z C/S, step by step

Check out some others. You can search on the Allpar main site Bob O'Neill and there will pop up several articles about the turbo build and the head work done. Keep in mind these were specific to my '86 restoration. Your situation may be slightly different.