Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[EUROPE] Another Maserati SUV is coming to rival Porsche

Discussion in 'Fiat News & Rumors' started by Hemidakota, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

[​IMG]

As expected, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles put up good numbers for third-quarter earnings on Tuesday, driven by SUV and pickup-truck sales in the US.

But on an earnings call with analysts (thanks to Seeking Alpha for the transcript) after the results were announced, FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne had better news for Maserati than for Jeep and RAM, FCA's big SUV and pickup brands.

After being primarily an appealing yet underperforming sedan and sport-car brand, Maserati got a boost last year when the Levante SUV hit the streets. The uptick hasn't been massive, but the new SUV provides a path to greater profitability for the brand and has led to speculation that Maserati and possibly stablemate Alfa Romeo could follow former FCA marque Ferrari and stage an IPO spinoff from FCA.

To make that feasible, Maserati needs to expand its SUV lineup to compete with the likes of Porsche. And Marchionne told analysts that the carmaker is ready to make the move.

Another Maserati SUV is coming to rival Porsche (at http://www.businessinsider.com/new-maserati-suv-hitting-market-2017-10 )

2. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

Yay... yet another Jeep... :eek:

jimboy likes this.
  3. BASONE88

Supporter

SM is making hay while the sun is shining! He's attempting to create cash flow and margin.

While it has been fun for us "Jeep Lovers" to see SRT tune the SUV, it has never quite been in Porsche's domain. Rather, Land Rover.

The Stelvio is a close hit. The Levante is a close hit. The Ferrari FF/GT4 Lusso is a little more exclusive, perhaps. As long as there's more market-share to be had - why not?

AlfaCuda and Morty like this.
  4. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

Well, there's the small matter of brand erosion. But hey, that's the next guy's problem, so better let the current guy milk those profits while the brand still has some cachet left (see Porsche)... :eek:

5. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

Have you driven Stelvio?

jorisr likes this.
  6. BASONE88

Supporter

Well I don't seem to notice where brand erosion or diversification has hurt Jeep. Matter of fact Jeep is exploding, in terms of market share. The Wrangler is more popular than ever, too.

Brand erosion/diversification has worked well for Porsche also.

AlfaCuda and james.mooney. like this.
  7. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

No, I haven't driven the Jeep Romeo. I was once a passenger in an Arna, though.
    It hasn't "worked well", it's merely demonstrated that selling out is profitable in the short term.

8. richmond

richmond Guest

Taking the info from your avatar seriously, i would say:

Chissenefrega se non ti funziona il pendolino.

M.O.D. likes this.
  9. BASONE88

Supporter

Not sure what you are eluding to..is it Porsche's stock price, perhaps?

10. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

I am talking about brand erosion, as I already mentioned. Porsche may be able to make a quick buck selling SUVs, but make no mistake about it, for every single Cayenne and Macan sold, the Porsche brand is devalued just a little bit more. Eventually that'll lead to a brand so damaged that Porsche no longer will be able to sell vehicles profitably.

But in an era focused on the short term (quarterly reports and such), nobody seems to give a toss, not even supposed "enthusiasts". There's no escaping the long-term consequences anyhow, though.

11. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

I don’t have the numbers but I would guess hundreds of thousands of Macans and Cayennes have not dented 911 sales at all.

As for the image of the 911 being the number one everyday sports/super car I would say it’s stronger than ever as the undisputed numero uno!

So unless you can show us proof that the brand image has suffered. I think it’s simply that YOU don’t like what is happening. Very different from current requirements for a brand to survive and thrive in today’s market. @Lampredi

Deckard_Cain, BASONE88 and ScramFan like this.
  12. BASONE88

Supporter

I don't, personally, dig the "performance SUV." It is backwards(IMHO). But I am just a single person(apparently, I am not in the majority because these things are selling - quite well). That said - they are fun to drive!

I want a 911, a proper "sports car." To my thinking, while these SUV's are available and selling(and I won't ever buy one), it is making my 911 a better car because there is more market-share and cash-flow for the marque where-by R&D is improved on everything.

M.O.D. likes this.
  13. KrisW

KrisW Active Member

@Lampredi .. Then why not go to your local dealership and drive a Stelvio, then come back and give us an informed opinion?

I prefer Giulia, but Stelvio is completely worthy of the name Alfa Romeo. Fact is that many buyers want a taller type of car, Alfa would be stupid to deny them it.

14. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

Try talking to the kids of today ("millennials", I believe they are called) and ask them to name the Porsche models they know. Then realize that these are the vehicle buyers of tomorrow...
    To be honest, I don't give a toss about Porsche, so if/when it goes belly up I won't particularly care.
    That's likely to be a fair-weather phenomenon. Just look at cash-strapped Alfa Romeo, which is axing the Giulia wagon (the quintessential core product) in favour of the Jeep Romeo Stelvio (a supplemental product at best, albeit in a generally profitable segment), and you'll see the obvious slippery slope.

In other words - what would Porsche do if it found itself cash-strapped? Axe the Cayenne in favour of the 911? Or the 911 in favour of the Cayenne?
    Now, what kind of epiphany is that supposed to bring about? That the Stelvio is not an SUV after all (even though Alfa Romeo markets the vehicle as its first SUV)? Because as long as it is, I don't see how whether I've driven it would have any bearing on what I've pointed out.
    Alfa Romeo not offering any SUVs (or "a taller type of car", as you euphemistically call them) would not constitute denying buyers of this kind of vehicle. Not only because the market is already saturated with them, but because FCA already owns a brand specializing in them (Jeep), a brand that often shares dealerships with Alfa Romeo. So a potential SUV buyer would have no problems finding an SUV to buy, whether he was visiting an Alfa Romeo dealership or not.

But you do make an interesting point about the stupidity of denying Alfa Romeo buyers certain types of vehicles. As someone who visited the Alfa Romeo museum recently, you probably know a thing or two about what kind of vehicles the brand has offered over the years, and how it has built a following of fans building them, as well as what kind of vehicles it hasn't offered.

Now, look at the new (Giorgio) Alfa Romeo lineup as well as the future roadmap (because the Alfa Romeo lineup is still mostly vaporware), and tell me, who is being denied what kind of vehicles? To my eyes, it seems that it is the Alfisti who are being denied traditional Alfa Romeo models. And I'd say, it's stupid to deny them it.

15. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

your thinking about it the wrong way. for one, Wagons are not profitable for a newly international brand like AF knowing that the US, and maybe AU & China isnt a good market for Wagons as developing a Wagon is much more expensive than a Hatch and even totally new model. so its best to introduce a smaller/Larger Crossover instead, something that will not only fill out AF line up, but a Model that can be used WORLDWIDE without fear of sales (cause everyone knows Crossovers are hot right now)

Also you say they axed a Model Configuration to build another CUV. yet say If Porsche Axed a already existing (and profitable) model for another profitable model??. the Giulia Wagon probably didnt last past the Design phase before it was axed.. and for Porsche, there are ALOT of alternative things Porshce can Axe before they Axe a whole Model....

PS this Topic is about a Second Maserati SUV, not Alfa Romeo. which Maserati does not Share a Dealership.

BASONE88 and AlfaCuda like this.
  16. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

Well you seem to be knowing different millennials to what I do. Most of them I know prefer a SUV to a sedan. And none will even consider a Wagon.
    Millions may dream about a 911 but only a few thousands will buy them. Millions may not dream of SUVs but still millions will buy them.

Also your argument that FCA has adequate SUVs with Jeep is a narrow flawed view. Jeep and Alfa Romeo have completely different brand values and images.
    For example if I required a car with high ground clearance I might choose a Stelvio over a Jeep because I am biased towards on road dynamics over off road capability.

17. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Active Member

18. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

I wasn't referring to consumer preference among the young, I was thinking about young people associating Porsche with SUVs, not necessarily with sports cars. Which, insofar as this is the case, does not bode well for Porsche's future as a sports car manufacturer.
    You're correct in saying that Jeep and Alfa Romeo have completely different brand values and images... which is exactly why it's so problematic that FCA is turning Alfa Romeo into Jeep Romeo, while at the same time neglecting the models that would represent the core lineup of Alfa - to wit, at this point we don't even know whether the Giulietta will get a proper replacement, but we do know that the intention is to launch several SUVs and crossovers!
    There seems to be a premise here that just because the market (du jour) is leaning towards SUVs and crossovers, then a brand is somehow obligated to follow that trend, but that's not really the case. One has to take into account whether SUVs and crossovers actually fit in that brand's lineup. And the fact is, SUVs and crossovers do not naturally fit in the lineups of Alfa Romeo and Maserati, and insofar as those brands should offer those kinds of vehicles at all, they should be offered as complementary vehicles to a core lineup that represent what the brands stand for. (Personally, I don't think these brands should offer SUVs and crossovers at all, however I've noticed that not everyone agrees with me on this...) And Alfa Romeo's roadmap fails miserably at this, because the focus is on the complementary lineup, not the core lineup.

19. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

FCA isn't turning Alfa Romeo into Jeep Romeo. That is a preposterous accusation and is worse than most of "the sky is falling" rhetoric that we see on Allpar. There is one Alfa Romeo SUV at the moment, and it is much more of a tall car than it is an off roader, and I'm sure that you know that.

AlfaCuda likes this.
  20. Lampredi

Lampredi Active Member

Far from being a "preposterous accusation", it's actually a pretty obvious observation.
    And according to current plans there will be at least two more.