Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

European Parliament demands higher safety standards for new cars, vans and lorries

Discussion in 'Auto News & Rumors' started by T_690, Nov 17, 2017.

1. T_690

T_690 Active Member

European Parliament demands higher safety standards for new cars, vans and lorries | ETSC (at http://etsc.eu/european-parliament-demands-higher-safety-standards-for-new-cars-vans-and-lorries/ )

MJAB likes this.
  2. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Translation: "Instead of requiring better driver training and retesting of drivers at regular intervals we chose to make cars more expensive".

Bearhawke and R230 like this.
  3. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I do not want to derail the thread, but this is a good, teachable moment.

Regulators do not trust human drivers and will not invest in them.

Instead, more autonomous features are being mandated by law.......and some say the removal of human drivers from vehicles will not be mandated.

4. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Just as a counterpoint, the flat 26,000 deaths per year number means deaths are going down.

The EU population, number of cars and kilometers driven have all increased while that number has stayed flat.

But math and politics do not mix.

Bearhawke likes this.
  5. CivoLee

CivoLee Active Member

Personally, I think if you get caught driving recklessly and it's because you're on the phone or texting, you should not only get a ticket but also have your phone confiscated and have to pay an additional fine to get it back.

But that's just me...

Bearhawke and somber like this.