AF: EV Range, Charging, and Popularity Discussion | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EV Range, Charging, and Popularity Discussion

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by GuidoFL, Nov 5, 2019.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Apartment complexes can offer charging spots, even if there are no garages. Sure, there are less places to choose from, but in larger cities there are many apartment complexes that offer charging spots.
    Charging spots are more common and easier to use than most people think.

2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

And the whole electric car thing is in its infancy. There is always progress being made even if some people don't like it. Remember bag cell phones? People said those will never work because I'm not carrying a bag around. Wow, guess what, it evolved, just like EVs will.

Dave Z, Ryan, somber and 3 others like this.
  3. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Tony K likes this.
  4. Dan Minick

Level III Supporter

EV sales have now overtaken manual transmission vehicle sales in the USA. I had the reference but can’t find the link now.

Tony K likes this.
  5. Lampredi

Lampredi Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.

6. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

gforce2002 likes this.
  7. Lampredi

Really? Well, let's see what the Petro Canada says about charging times:

How fast can I charge my plug-in hybrid or electric car?

Charging speeds reach between 4 km and 30 km of range per minute of charging. Each of our EV charging stations offer up to a maximum of 200kW or 350kW of power output, depending on the station.

There are plenty of factors that could affect charging speed; for example:

• your vehicle’s maximum charging capacity
    • the state of charge and condition of the vehicle battery
    • the outdoor temperature
    • the number of vehicles charging at the location simultaneously
    It's all there in black and white - it's not fast.

8. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

"CCS has the capability of charging up to 200kW (with future capability of up to 350kW at select locations), which allows a typical EV to charge in 30 minutes or less."

Although not as fast as traditional cars and gas it's still a fast charger. When you can get a full charge in 30 minutes that's perfect for a lot of families that have to stop for a break and to grab some food or use the restroom

Dave Z, Bob Lincoln, Tony K and 3 others like this.
  9. Lampredi

No it's still a slow charger.
    Families have been able to stop for a break, grab some food or use the restroom for decades, without having to wait a whole 30 minutes for a full charge. EV owners today are forced to wait that long (or longer!), all because of the absence of fast chargers.

10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

No, a slow charger is something like a 110v one that takes 8 or more hours to replenish the battery.

11. Lampredi

The kind of chargers you're talking about are indeed an order of magnitude slower than the chargers Petro Canada offers, but both kinds of chargers are slow.

12. Adventurer55

I would assume then that you never had kids. Because if you did, you would know that.by the time you get gas, use the restroom for the family, and grab some grub, you are at least a half an hour. Unless you traveled with my ol man who never stopped for squat in the 60s and 70s vacations of ours.

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  13. Lampredi

Well, it doesn't matter, because regardless of how many kids I have and how long my stops are, there's no such thing as a fast EV charger.

14. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

So you just assume 1) neither you nor your descendants/future property owners are never going to use them, and 2) regardless you'll have no benefit from them. Both are assumptions I wouldn't want to operate under. 1) is dubious because property value should increase from the proximity of the charging ports alone, let alone the possibility you may use them yourself in the near future as EVs evolve. 2) is a big more nuanced, aside from reducing the local pollution, pushing it to distant power plants and possibly use of renewables.

15. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

:cool: Isn't that implied? :D

16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

By the same measure, because the gas pump at my local station doesn't fill my car as quickly as a NASCAR pit stop, can I say my local gas station has "slow pumps"?

Dave Z, GasAxe, voiceofstl and 2 others like this.
  17. Adventurer55

If a fast charger is 30 minutes it does. And there never used to be such thing as a transistor radio either.

18. Lampredi

Funny you should mention that. I've never heard people talk about the pump at the local gas station as being particularly fast. Yet somehow, an EV charger that spends the time it takes to refuel several cars at the gas station, to recharge one single car, is fast in the eyes of some people! Why is that? Are people really that susceptible to marketing and propaganda?
    Except a charger that takes an entire 30 minutes to recharge an EV isn't a fast charger, as evidenced simply by the time it takes.

19. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

30km per minute of charging means 15 minutes to get 450km (275 miles) of range. That sounds pretty good to me, to be able to transfer that much energy that fast, without overheating or exploding the batteries.

As valiant67 said, it's all relative. It can take 8 hours or more to recharge a single conventional automotive battery.

Adventurer55 likes this.
  20. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

And I guarantee you, stopping to refuel and take a leak with the family is a 20-minute venture, no matter how I try to hurry them along. Especially at crowded service areas.

Doug D and Adventurer55 like this.