Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EV Wrangler - Could they do it again?

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Wagoneer, other traditional Jeeps' started by cygnus, Dec 25, 2016.

1. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

I don't feel the electric ones put the others to shame but they do appear just as capable. We know mild hybrids are coming so we'll slowly see how the market takes to a "greener" Wrangler.

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The first Jeeps were long-stroke, low-compression 4 cylinder engines. These were very tractable engines at low-speeds, especially with the gearing that they were provided.
    That past generation of Jeep would be considered very underpowered and maybe not even suitable for expressway speeds today. It was, however the 'original' Jeep and it fulfilled its mission.
    The low-end torque of a turbo-diesel would be welcome. There were Perkins diesel Jeeps in the 1960's. I have driven turbo-diesel versions of the XJ and KJ Jeeps and they really captured the Jeep essence while off-road. They were able to walk away from a stop at an idle speed with seemingly little effort.
    Electric motors, by nature have a silent, smooth and steady application of torque from zero-shaft speed on up and likely would provide excellent tractability.
    The Pentastar V6 Wrangler is incredibly fast on the street, I have not tried one off-road. Much better than the still-respectable minivan 3.8L V6 that was before.
    The 2.4L DOHC Jeeps were just sad. The peak torque band was around 3000-4000 rpm and just unsuitable for off-road crawling, even with a stick-shift.

3. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

I test drove a TJ Wrangler with the 4 cyl and 5 speed. It reminded me of my 4 cyl Japanese cars back in the '80s that always needed to be wound out to get any decent acceleration. The TJ was best served with the tried n true 4.0 liter six. I always felt that it had more potential in it, let's say a new cyl head with cross flow porting, hemi combustion chambers, like Chrysler Australia did with the 225 Slant Six.
    I have driven the JK with the Pentastar and it is quite brisk. Same thing in the WKII. While I'd always prefer my Grands with Hemis the Pentastar is more than adequate. These are some of the best powertrains Jeeps have ever had, I just hope they hold up well over the long haul.
    We also test drove a Renegade 4 cyl (surprisingly brisk) and a Cherokee 3.2 V6 (fast) both with the 9 speed. It seems that the demons of the 9 speed have been banished. Both shifted great, as did both Grands I tried out with the 8 speed.

4. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Electric individual Wheel drive would put a complete new dimension to offroading.
    - controlling the Wheels degree by degree, complete individual speed and torque Control with precisision unmatched by
    a mechanical drive train.
    - able to make zero turns, like a skidsteer.

Andy4.7 and ImperialCrown like this.
  5. AVENTUS

AVENTUS New Member

This man has the vision!