Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expensive vehicles are selling well.

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Mr.Source, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

We may not like it, but expensive vehicles are the ones that are now selling well, until June they increased in sales, and it seems that the trend will continue.

2. billfrombuckhead

Cherokee Overland? Wrangler Unlimited Tuxedo Park ?

300 Imperial? 200 Varvatos? Challenger Varvatos?

3. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

Our local dealer had sold five Durangos last month, and four were Citadels, including ours FWIW

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

I have nothing against Chrysler selling expensive vehicles. If it forgets its roots it will be sending customers to other brands.

5. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

I don't know why anyone who is a fan of Chrysler and wishes the company well wouldn't like it. More expensive vehicles = better profit margins = more profits = better products next time around.

This is a key part of Ford's strategy -- create enticing options packages that encourage people to spend more, increase profit per sale, invest more to make the next-gen model better. There is nothing bad about this, especially if the less-expensive basic models are still around for those who prefer or need them. (And they are. Look at how this works at Ford: The F-150 starts at $25k, and they sell a fair number of bare-bones trucks... but the average transaction price is about $40k, and some go out the door at well over $50k. There is a WHOLE LOT OF PROFIT in a $50k F-150... just as there is in a $65k supercharged Challenger, by the way...)

Paul J. Reed, UN4GTBL and FreeLantz like this.
  6. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

The housing crisis must suddenly be over! :D

7. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Why would we not like it? Expensive vehicles presumably are higher margin sales for the corp.

Define expensive. Expensive to you may not be the same as it is to me. Regardless of what I can or can't afford, a car that costs over $30k is to me, expensive. I don't care how nice it is.

Do you have some data or statistics that show this trend, beyond what we can see in the monthly sales report?

Please understand I am not picking on you, just asking for clarification.

8. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Ok, Maserati, BMW, MB, Audi and so, all have increased in sales, customers are right now buying the loades vehicles, and that means those are more expensive than the base ones.

It all indicates, the economy is healthy and good, and the consumer is willing to buy more expensive cars, appliances and more, of course thats a good sign, America seems to be doing ok as for now, of course if there will be a war or anything like that, we will again be in trouble.

9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

BMW, Audi and Mercedes recently added $30,000 models to their lineups. These are the real drivers behind their sales growth.

The question is: with luxury brands constantly encroaching into mass territory, and non-luxury brands reaching further and further into $50,000+ prices, is the distinction between luxury and non-luxury becoming irrelevant?

And what about the dealership experience? Last time I checked, my CDJR dealership had a $120,000 Viper, a $55,000 Grand Cherokee Overland, and a $60,000 Chrysler 300 SRT sitting in the showroom...yet the customer experience hasn't gotten any better since I used to show up in my $11,000 Plymouth Acclaim...

10. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

That's sad, Chrysler MUST take care of customers satisfaction.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  11. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

I can say with experience that in the last 5 1/2 years here in Atlanta area from purchasing and servicing my last 4 Chrysler products, the dealer has been nothing less than super in all phases. Sales is slaes and a person has to know how to work the management, and servce has been the big plus as they always are on top of the recall and TSBs. Never have I gotten my vehicle back with grease or anything else on/in it that shouldn't be there. Everybody there are like family to us, including sales. When we make our coming move to Florida, we will miss them!

12. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Good news for vehicles like the upcoming Grand Wagoneer!

13. Moparian

Moparian Well-Known Member

What part of Florida?

14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I have been going to my CDJR dealership for a decade, so there's a well-established level of trust. They have definitely gotten a lot faster at turning around regular maintenance service visits.

But I had the chance to interact with some BMW, Audi and Porsche salespeople, as I looked for a used Porsche Boxster before I purchased my Challenger 392: the best CDJR dealership sales experience simply does NOT even come close to the sales experience at a "luxury" dealership.

The proof is in the pudding. The chart on the left ranks sales experience at luxury dealers; the one on the right sales experience at non-luxury dealers: CDJR dealers cluster at the bottom...of the bottom...

Many affluent households will simply skip the $55,000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and buy the $60,000 Mercedes ML instead, because they don't want their spouses to have to deal with the CDJR dealership experience.

[​IMG][​IMG]

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

No, we are living in our cars.... ;)

Charger Red, JA Cumbo and aldo90731 like this.
  16. Int

Int Active Member

CDJR hogging the bottom rankings and Fiat above average. Maybe that Studio thing was the right call.

17. georgejetson

georgejetson Ordo Templi Moparis
    Supporter

It has been over for quite a while in most of the country. Where are you?

18. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

While I disagree that the economy is healthy (far from it, actually), I think public perception that it's getting better is one reason vehicle sales are up. Your original post said that "it's the more expensive cars that are selling now", as if to imply they are selling at the expense of cheaper models or that the cheaper models aren't selling just as well, and I don't see any evidence to support that statement.

Benz, BMW, Audi, et al may be up, but so are Chrysler, Toyota, and other mainstream manufacturers. GM would be showing healthy increases too, if not for the recall fiasco. They're still squeaking out a tiny gain despite that. The whole industry is up, excluding a couple brands that have major product issues right now. Not just the luxury brands.

19. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Well-Known Member

I think he may be trying to say that the more expensive models within the brands are selling right now at a higher rate than the less expensive ones. To that I might agree. Cherokee LTD and Trailhawk around here are selling out. Average transaction price for a Cherokee is high 20's low 30s. Grand Cherokee LTD and Overland out sell the laredo 3to 1 (average price over 40k). Average Wrangler sales are well above the 30k mark too. Lets not forget our highest volume seller RAM.....all are over 30k with an average price very close to 40+.

20. TripleT

Level III Supporter

The roots of low margins and sell at deep discounts?

They will gladly shed that Kia for a margin sell, especially as capacity becomes limited.

As a Mopar consumer, I understand the sentiment though.