AF: Factory small block roller lifters in a big block | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factory small block roller lifters in a big block

Discussion in 'Performance' started by kzooman83, Feb 12, 2020.

1. kzooman83

kzooman83 Active Member

The continued reports of flat tappet lifter failures and the suggestion that there may be metallurgy issues with many of the aftermarket flat tappet lifters on the market today (whether true or not) got me thinking about retrofitting a roller cam and lifters to a big block. I know there are kits available if someone wanted to go that route, but aftermarket roller lifters are fairly expensive; small blocks had roller lifters from the factory beginning in the late 80s which are much cheaper to obtain and should fit the lifter bores in a big block.

The problem I see with this is that the factory link bars are a slip on situation as shown in this picture:
    Build Your Own 455HP Pump-Gas Magnum V8 For Around $4,000! - Swap Meet Classified ads (at http://swapmeetclassified.com/2017/08/10/build-your-own-455hp-pump-gas-magnum-v8-for-around-4000/ )

[​IMG]
    They are not permanently affixed to the lifters and are held in place by a spider bar which bolts into the lifter valley:
    [​IMG]
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrd...-magnum-parts-exchange/?galleryImageId=201014

It seems to me that if someone were to come up with a way to retain the link bars on a big block, the factory roller lifters could be used with an aftermarket roller cam to save some money. Thoughts?

#1 kzooman83, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  2. kzooman83

kzooman83 Active Member

Sorry about the pictures; for some reason it wouldn't show the pictures so I had to go back and add the links.

3. dana44

Ad-Free Member

There is always the possibility to engineer them to work. You can bush the lifter bores, then the retaining bars/holders, oiling for the lifters figured out, so that has to be precise so they function properly, pushrods to oil properly and not oil, and then a camshaft for roller lifters.