AF: Failed Catalytic Converter | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failed Catalytic Converter

Discussion in 'Compacts: Renegade, Patriot, Compass, Caliber' started by browens1534, Jun 1, 2014.

1. browens1534

browens1534 Well-Known Member

So just to update everybody on the Check Engine light saga. Today my mom and I were doing some shopping, we went to menards and got a sliding screen door for the French doors going out to the back deck. (Man this thing hauls stuff! 20 bags of mulch yesterday and the 80x36 screen door today). We were about 1/8 mile from home and I heard the chime, I thought it was the gas light as my mom was driving. She's looking down like wth? We see it's the MIL. I tell her we need to go to the dealer and leave the Jeep running! So we unload the door and head to the dealer. They gave me the run around, I'll explain after the repair. But after I got pissed and said I'll just take it to Fort Wayne, they "did" a quick code check.. The service writer came back in and told us the good news, it's the catalytic converter and it's 100% covered by Chrysler and they were ordering the parts. Is there any way I can call my selling dealer and they can get the repair done there instead? I'd rather drive the 45 miles to go to my dealer in Fort Wayne...

2. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Just my opinion, but if it's 100% covered, does it matter which dealer does it?

3. browens1534

I don't trust the dealer to touch my car now.. I already gave them a chance after they screwed up my Sebring. I'm waiting until it's fixed and I'll air the ordeal out... And I'm pretty sure my selling dealer would give me a loaner.

floridaman2013 likes this.
  4. browens1534

Parts are in, finally.

5. browens1534

I'm scheduled to drop it off first thing Wednesday morning...

6. browens1534

So finally I have it replaced after a fight!

First they wanted to charge me the $70 few for diagnostic check AFTER they knew what was wrong! They tried to argue with me that it was only covered under the 3/36, and wanted to know if we had a service contract they could bill... After we were walking out they came out and said what the code was and they'd replace the cat under warranty! Well I go to pick it up, and I'm standing at the counter listening to the service writer complain about it only being 2.2 hours labor, they kept asking if I had a service contract they could bill, they proceeded to tell me that most Chrysler service contracts have a $100 deductible... I stood my ground and said no, it's under federal emissions warranty. The tech kept saying that warranty work didn't pay them anything compared to the work, like he was wanting me to volunteer to pick up the tab... Yeah not happy at all. Basically they were trying in my opinion to commit fraud! Maybe it's time for a call to corporate?
    And on top of it, they have my odometer reading at 77,228 when the Jeep actually has 76,500 on it!

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

You could call, but it would basically come down to he said/she said.

I do understand where the tech is coming from. The job probably took more time than what the warranty allowed for the job. But they should not have tried to bill you for the work - especially something that is mandated by law.

RonGD and Bob Lincoln like this.
  8. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

If the consumer is covered by applicable warranties, then the dealer/service people should do two things:

1. Satisfy the consumer and perform the required work as covered by the warranty, then follow up with whatever paperwork is needed to whatever entity backs the warranty to claim the monies due for said work.

2. Do NOT whine and complain about the rate at which they are getting reimbursed for said warranty work to the consumer. That's unacceptable, and the consumer doesn't want to hear it anyway - if it's covered by a warranty, the only thing the consumer is going to pay is for any applicable deductible. If there is no deductible, the consumer pays nothing.

I'm familiar with "book rate" repair work, sometimes it can be lucrative and sometimes it's not. But asking the consumer to "make up the difference" is unacceptable and makes the dealer/service people look like chumps.

RonGD, PCRMike, Doug D and 3 others like this.
  9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

A digital camera photo of the odometer reading and the door VIN label with date stamps should be enough to correct the wrong mileage in Chrysler's database and help your case.
    Pursuing a complaint, you can report this up the chain of command if you want starting with the service manager, then dealer principal, then regional service manager and the BBB if you feel that fraud was attempted upon you. Sometimes the service manager is unaware of service writer/technician conduct and these are the employees with direct contact with the customers.
    I worked at a dealer that had 3 employees working a service customer scam/rip-off together and they destroyed the reputation of those of us who were trying to be fair and honest in our dealings with our customers. I have to blame management for looking the other way because these guys made money hand-over-fist for the boss until the scam collapsed and they were finally purged from employment.
    You may not be alone in this and Chrysler management and the BBB needs to know these things. It is more than just a 'customer dissatisfaction' if there are other reported instances of this.

RonGD, PCRMike, Bob Lincoln and 2 others like this.
  10. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

Man oh man, ImperialCrown and Stratuscaster are dead on the money! I have been there, seen that, and as a truthful person got into some arguments over the shady goings on I encountered numerous times. I would report them starting as IC said with the service manager. These are the kind of things that give the Corporation a black eye in customer relations!

11. Richard1

Richard1 Active Member

Not the first Compass CAT that has gone out. There is a Chrysler bulletin that explains how to open it, shave off the damaged/clogged part, and put it back together instead of actually replacing it.

That may only be outside the US. Federal Law in the US might have them replacing them.

12. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Not only that, but emission parts are federally backed, that means they could end up talking to the FBI, not some local Sheriff...:cool:

13. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

I just had the cat replaced on my 07, totally covered under the fed emissions warrantee. Them trying to jerk you around on this is them playing with fire. Put in a call to ChryCo and let them know.

RonGD likes this.