AF: FAIR or REPUTABLE CHROMERS in my area | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAIR or REPUTABLE CHROMERS in my area

Discussion in 'Projects, mods, restoration' started by Volunteer, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Volunteer

Volunteer Well-Known Member

Hello. I purchased new rear ('73) Challenger bumper last summer off eBay. It was good brand and good price and I am happy with it. But, I still need to re-chrome the two rear bumperettes - due to usual thinning of the tops. Everyone I've talked to in my city seems to have had bad experiences in my province. They either suggest Alberta or Washington (state). So, what I would like to know, once and for all, has anyone from Southern BC ever dealt with a 'local' chromer, what were the results and would you recommend them?
    These are small parts but I am also looking to the future for re-chroming '70 Dart front bumper and, all four 'bumperettes' and, I realize that the farther away the more the shipping will be. Just thought I'd throw this out to the knowledgeable membership. ;)

2. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

After reading your post, I believe you already have the answer.:cool:

3. Volunteer

Okay - - - I will try another approach. How about - - -
    Anyone living in British Columbia, who has had various automotive parts 're-chromed', please reply with your successes or failures. What was name of chrome shop, what was the particular item, what did it cost, what were the shipping charges, and - - how satisfied were you?
    I can easily do a search, however, I still need to know consumer opinions - not simply the claims by the business. Input is always appreciated. Thanks.

4. Volunteer

Not to 'hi-jack' my own thread, :eek:, but I will ask another question that is also related to chroming. This involves plastic chroming and will extend world-wide. I would like to know of a resto shop that details and/or exchanges dash cluster bezels - in my specific case it would be for the 1970 Swinger Rallye cluster. Again, it is hard to find a shop or person who wishes to offer this info. I have seen one or two units in past year on eBay, but prices were high - about $650. U.S. Thanks.

5. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Just Dashes and Instrument Specialties can rechrome and detail paint plastic bezels.
    I don’t know how much cheaper they would be than those new repros

DC-93 likes this.
  6. Volunteer

Thanks for reply. I haven't been 'here' for about four weeks and not notified either. I'll give these guys a try and keep my options open. Not aware of any repros as all I've seen so far are eBay items offered at a very high cost. The places I have contacted are not too eager to give out their trade secrets. Body/resto shops want to handle everything so they get higher profits - compared to sending info and links to every person who asks. Just good business - by their definition - I suppose. Now I have couple of (BC) chromers to contact - - and likely send pictures to. Wish me luck. :(