AF: FCA’s surprise US sales gain and Canadian sales drop | Page 7 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA’s surprise US sales gain and Canadian sales drop

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Apr 3, 2018.

1. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

I think bringing FIAT to the US was a terrible decision, but it wasn't a major use of capital. The FIAT plants had spare capacity, particularly Brazil and Mexico. Yes, it cost advertising dollars, but the Abarth commercials were actually really well received. Most of the capital was put in by dealers building showrooms (mostly with the promise that they'd get Alfa when it launched). THEY got royally screwed.

Mr. Fusion and aldo90731 like this.
  2. HotCarNut

Level III Supporter

There ARE fleet ordered Challengers by the rental car companies....

UN4GTBL, Zagnut27 and aldo90731 like this.
  3. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Part of Challenger's appeal is its practicality, which Camaro doesn't have.

Here is a general rule I have seen on the market:
    1. Assume a regular 4-door vehicle has 100% demand
    2. Take out two doors and you lose 90% of that demand
    3. Take out the rear seat and you lose 90% of the coupe demand
    In so many words, a 2-seat roadster only has 1% of the demand of a comparable vehicle with 4-doors.

Not that logic ever stopped GM from doing stoopid things before... :)

somber and HotCarNut like this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Challenger is doing remarkably well for being a coupe then.

MoparJoe likes this.
  5. aldo90731

Yup. Here are latest Q1 sales vs last year

[​IMG]
    Source: Automotive News; Includes fleet

6. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Ford is doing so well with their police cars that the Taurus will become history and the hot selling to fleets, the Fiesta will also become history.

Sergio dropped the Dartt and the 200 when everybody including myself thought he was crazy, instead of those we started building hot selling products, so the results are here, and I think we will in two more years make history.

Toyota and Ford you better watch out, and same goes for the Chevrolet pickups.

bluskye, danbek, MoparJoe and 13 others like this.
  7. Cody's Car Conundrum

Cody's Car Conundrum Active Member

It's funny (not in a condescending way) to see you say that. I was attending the Denver autoshow yesterday with RMAP (Rocky Mountain Automotive Press) and nearing the public opening for the show (at 5 PM no less...) one of Nissan's local represenitives (I don't remember his name, names aren't my strong suit :() was walking around the DT 1500. Checking it out like I was.

We got into a small conversation about the truck and FCA. Near the end of our conversation he was saying that he wouldn't be surprised if in 3 years Ram was owned by someone else, Jeep was owned by someone else and Alfa Romeo being owned by someone else (with Dodge and Chrysler dying). He also made the comment that there wasn't anything coming for Challenger, Charger or Durango (in terms of future product).

It was just one conversation, but it did make me wonder how many people also think FCA doesn't have anything (or much) in the pipelines for the future.

Seeing this thread and your comments on FCA's current position is a welcome contrast to some of the negative thoughts surrounding FCA's future standings.

bluskye, danbek, tlc and 4 others like this.
  8. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the signal feels smooth, but the very next time, it feels like there's enough resistance there that something's going to snap inside. It never does though. It has improved over time from when it was new, I will say.

9. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Always good to hear from you Mr.Source! And I share your optimism.

danbek, tlc, UN4GTBL and 4 others like this.
  10. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

A lot think that, hell a new rumor is that the charger is going to be dead soooo take that for what you will in how people view fca

11. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

What it seems like to me is that they took the good things about the last generation (basically performance) and made them better, and took the bad things about the last generation (space, comfort, visibility) and made them worse.

ScramFan and AlexB like this.
  12. BASONE88

Supporter

I have always thought the Charger was a stroke of genius by DCX(whichever letter deserves the real credit - I mean, D shared this platform with C, at the very least).

It truly gave the newly married family man an opportunity to still have a muscle car/sports car. It is no wonder the GTO never stuck and the Charger is a perpetual success.

13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I would imagine that the insiders here would have something to say about that. Hopefully most of what has been planned does see the light of day. That would shut a lot of nay sayers up. And I don't direct that towards any Allpar members in any way. I see enough ridiculous BS in the comment sections of articles from different publications for any and all FCA products from people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

I have to admit that I am skeptical of what is coming. Not that I don't believe that many different models could be coming. I have my doubts about the roll-outs for them as far as advertising/marketing and whether the quality/reliability will be there. But that's neither here nor there at this point.

14. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Because there is NO living down their well-earned North American, legacy-Rant against the Marque.

That Rant is its own RetroVirus ... it has become inextricably part of their DNA in these parts. There's NO going back.

They rolled the Dice; it came up Snake Eyes with lasting effect.

aldo90731 and BASONE88 like this.
  15. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Forget Camaro... Challenger is closing in on Mustang.. That would be a real coup, as most observers see Camaro as a weak performer, but consider Mustang a hit.

16. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

Talk about a hit, I see the new Compass everywhere. Looks like a home run for FCA.

Ryan likes this.
  17. HotCarNut

Level III Supporter

My wife and I are heading to the Denver auto show tomorrow. Was there a lot to see?

Cody's Car Conundrum likes this.
  18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Regarding the pipeline: part of that is a recent WSJ article mentioning that Chrysler would not confirm the next generation large cars. Well, duh. They don't confirm or deny future product. We're pretty sure it's coming, though. Did Alfa Romeo and Maserati give up on sedans?

Regarding quality: lots of parts issues, even more dealership issues, and some dunderhead novice issues. Based on Bob Sheaves’ predictions, quality should be going up rapidly with each new generation as the engineers learn from their mistakes, assuming they learn from their mistakes and don’t have their head in the sand. Squeaks and rattles...

As an n=2, of my 2013s (Dart and 300C):

1) Both have squeaks and rattles up the wazoo; the 300C only makes noise when at least 1/2 mile from the dealership, but it got much worse when the dashboard came apart, so I'm thinking they tried to prevent noise by using grease or poorly glued pads.

2) Both lost their Bluetooth module, the Dart fortunately while under warranty.

3) 300C is prone to dirt in the steering wheel buttons, I suspect the Dart is too. This is one reason I like the new buttons used by some automakers, where instead of press-in you nudge up or down. The other is they are easier to use in a car. The reason they haven't been used before, I would guess, is if you are not wearing a seat belt and the airbag doesn't inflate, you will be hurt when you slam into the steering wheel.

4) The Dart appears to have come from the factory with an uncalibrated turbo and incorrectly gapped spark plugs. Forum chatter indicates this is a 2013 problem resulting from, duh, factory workers not being told to calibrate the turbo or gap the plugs. (Which really should have come from the supplier correctly gapped.)

5) We also had to replace the 300C navigation head unit, which Chrysler did under extended warranty, and we had one plug or coil go bad (the dealer, an excellent shop in Scranton, PA, where the bananas landed, said a bad plug could have caused the coil to go bad). Chrysler's extended warranty covered the tow and the coil. We had to pay for the plug which is OK by me.

6) The Dart has a Fiat manual transmission which is making noises as though the hydraulic clutch is shot. This is a known problem resolved apparently in the 2014s which Chrysler reportedly is “making good” on, case by case.

So... as far as construction goes, I think Chrysler did quite well with both; the factory folk can’t be blamed for any of these problems. I think it’s fair to put a lot of blame on the interior engineers who either did not specify appropriate materials (or had those specs overridden by cost accountants), or did not plan properly; and on the testing regimen, which was clearly, and sadly “as usual” for Chrysler, not up to the task, despite all the wonderful equipment and facilities. I mean, this is the company that produced the 1995 Neon after “a record amount of testing.”

If I sat in the hot seat, I would be asking suppliers about their quality issues (Bluetooth module, stereo, mis-gapped plugs), finding out why the Dart workers weren't given full instructions, but most of all, I’d be going after the interior guys to make sure they are investigating the noise issues — hardly uncommon for 2013 — and possibly already resolved; and I’d be going after the testing engineers to find out how they are missing so much, and whether it’s the fault of schedule pressure.

19. aldo90731

Dust, rattles? Where do you live, Dave? On the rural road to Devil’s Tower...? :D

All kidding aside, right now I have a navigation system on my 2015 JKU that intermittently freezes up and refuses to upload. So far it’s happened about six times, and it has rebooted every time upon turning the engine off and on again. But I am apprehensive because the exact same head unit was replaced three times on my 2013 Rubicon.

And my 2016 Challenger came riddled with squeaks and rattles that I find unforgivable at 5,000 miles in what is a $50,000 car. The dealer has eliminated the bulk of them, but there’s still all kinds of buzzes and minor squeaks that I try to tune out of my head. I hope my ability for denial wins over my OCD.

So the issues you describe are far from rare.

My 2012 Chrysler 300S ended up being bought back by Chrysler for a variety of reasons, including squeaks and rattles. But my 2012 Challenger SRT was solid like vault. So I was surprised —and disappointed— to end up with a squeaky and rattly Challenger so many years later.

#139 aldo90731, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Zagnut27, UN4GTBL and HotCarNut like this.
  20. svevar

svevar Well-Known Member

I also hate that the strengthening ribs are exposed on the back side of the stalk molding. How much more would it have cost to fully enclose it as on most other FCA vehicles?

Doesn't help that a recent Wall Street Journal article made the unsubstantiated claim that FCA "may be considering an end to larger cars, including the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, within a few years."

Yes, I also see them everywhere.