AF: FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne, 66, has died | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne, 66, has died

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by cygnus, Jul 25, 2018.

1. mrkovash

mrkovash Active Member

May he r.i.p

2. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

1. So sad today. Big loss to the world of a quality man. It took a lot of leadership to turn these companies around.

3. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

4. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

Mr.Marchionne may you RIP. Thanks for saving Chrysler and allowing my father to finish his career.

5. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

Even knowing only a small amount of the background detail, that was simply too tall a mountain for him to climb.

I feel for the family.

Condolences.

UN4GTBL and phillip104 like this.
  6. hmk123

Level III Supporter

God bless! May he rest in peace! My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

In a way he went the way he made decisions: Better to have a painful end than a never ending pain.

#46 hmk123, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Prabhjot likes this.
  7. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

So very sad...

8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Famed Fiat, Chrysler, and Fiat Chrysler chief executive Sergio Marchionne, who worked his way up to the top of Fiat, turned its heavy losses into profits before masterminding a successful merger with the bankrupt remains of Chrysler Corporation, has died at the age of 66.

[​IMG]

FCA Chairman John Elkann wrote in a public statement, “Unfortunately, what we feared has come to pass. Sergio Marchionne, man and friend, is gone.”

According to various published reports, Marchionne had surgery to remove or treat a growth in his shoulder, and suffered a stroke resulting in a coma. The chances for recovery were poor enough that the company appointed a new CEO, Michael Manley, earlier this week.

[​IMG]

Sergio Marchionne had a highly successful career, in some ways resembling that of Walter P. Chrysler himself. Chrysler was best known as a turnaround artist, despite his engineering background; he saved multiple automakers from dissolution, and, indeed, Chrysler Corporation was simply the old Maxwell Motors.

Sergio Marchionne was born on June 17, 1952 in Abruzzo, Italy; the family migrated to Toronto, Canada, when he was 14, resulting in his fluent English and Italian, and dual Canadian and Italian citizenships. His undergraduate degree at the University of Toronto was followed by an MBA from the University of Windsor in 1980 and a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from York University in 1983. He worked at an accounting firm, became Group Controller for Lawson Mardon Group, then vice president at Glenex Industries. From there he worked at a number of different companies in leadership roles, joining Fiat’s board of directors in 2003.

[​IMG]

When Marchionne first took over Fiat in 2004, many analysts and pundits claimed his numbers and projections were impossible. Quarter after quarter, though, he was able to “make the numbers,” strengthening the Italian automaker. Some of his decisions then should sound familiar: allowing some cars to leave production and letting some brands run on fumes, while focusing on other cars and brands to keep profits strong.

The next step was working out a deal with the United States and Canadian governments and other interested parties, to take over Chrysler Group as part of a controlled bankruptcy. Many at the time were calling for Chrysler to either be dissolved entirely, under Chapter 7 of the bankruptcy code, or to be combined with General Motors (also in bankruptcy). Its owner, Cerberus Capital Management, had been trying to sell it to a Chinese company, if possible, and anyone else, if not.

[​IMG]

Chrysler continued for some years, as Sergio Marchionne’s decisive and sometimes harsh actions worked to turn the company around. He cut in some places, but he also invested a great deal in others. Unlike Daimler, Cerberus, and even Chrysler itself, Marchionne was willing to risk large sums of money on rebuilding existing plants with brand new machinery, rather than keeping old robotics and tooling going long past their normal lifespan. He also showed no desire to move production to Mexico or China, and brought back a vast amount of parts and components production not only into the company, but into the United States and Canada from Mexico and China — from 2009 onwards.

He also insisted on putting more money into the cars, particularly the interiors, to make them more attractive to buyers, and approved risky engine projects, including the 6.2 Hellcat and two new series of four-cylinders; and brought the “Pentastar” V6 to fruition. Former-Chrysler-Corp sales rocketed during his reign; so did those of Maserati, which started using Chrysler designs as the rough basis for new cars and engines.

[​IMG]

Sergio Marchionne gave annual press conferences in Detroit, during which members of relatively small media were able to ask him questions directly; unlike most executives, he willingly gave full and honest answers most of the time, and did not seem to mind difficult questions. He also was willing to say what he thought about analysts who doubted his projections; some seemed to actually be laughing at his plans in 2009-2010. In 2018, with those projections being met or exceeded, Marchionne had gained a great deal of credibility and respect.

[​IMG]

Sergio Marchionne was said to deal directly with people, and expected everyone to lead; he demanded long hours and hard work of leaders, though, and he himself was said to work almost constantly. He left the Chrysler executive suite in the penthouse empty, sitting on the same floor as engineers.

Marchionne was to retire from being CEO this year, with his primary goal of eliminating net debt achieved. He would have remained on the board and in charge of Ferrari, but would not have had to maintain two homes on different continents.

Read the whole post here.

9. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

Very sad.
    But at least he didn't suffer. He likely never even knew or regained consciousness after going into surgery.

Zagnut27 and VoiceOfReason like this.
  10. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Would love to see something from Allpar to him, he deserves it.

11. zevadd

zevadd Active Member

How to honor Sergio Marchionne? Maybe an Alfa model named the "Sergio." A Maserati named the "Marchionne." There could be "Black Sweater" editions of the Maserati or the Chrysler 300. There could be "Capital Junkie" editions for Jeep, Ram and Dodge. Fiat could have "Expresso" editions (even though he gave up coffee last year).

12. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

We may not have agreed on every decision he made nor been privy to all the information but Mr. Marchionne was a Lee Iacocca figure IMHO. RIP sir.

ScramFan, Zagnut27, UN4GTBL and 4 others like this.
  13. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better.
    RIP Sergio.

14. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

Thank you Sergio. You were one in a million to step up back in 2008 to save Chrysler and anyone that was around back then knew it was bleak. They either found a partner or were going to be liquidated, so Sergio stepped up, a CEO many hadn't even heard of. The resurgence of Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram that came afterwards was an amazing thing to witness after the Daimler years of neglect and it'll forever be a part of Chryslers history.

Rest in peace

BASONE88 and hmk123 like this.
  15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Some have said he was taken too soon...he was too young...but is it really so? How old does one have to be to be considered the appropriate time? Truth is, there is no “appropriate” time, for nothing is promised...except for the fact that all who are born are one day destined to die. We have no choice in that. Working in healthcare for the past 23 years, I’ve seen this exact scenario play out too many times to count...and in my own personal life too.

What we do have some choice in, is how we spend the time that we are here. Buy fast cars if you can, and it makes you happy. Find a job you love, that doesn’t seem like work. Go on vacation...often. Love your friends and family. Take care of the world you live in. Enjoy the wonderful things it has to offer.

So many times we say, “now is not the right time” or “I’m not ready”. There will never be the “perfect” time or place. Do it now. Live life. Tomorrow is not promised.

R.I.P. Mr Marchionne. You’ve left quite a legacy behind you. I’d say that was a pretty full life. I hope your family gains peace and comfort from that knowledge as time moves forward and their grief quiets a bit.

16. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

A true great one has left us, good bye Dottore Sergio Marchionne, you touched upon millions of people in the most important way: making sure they had a way of life. For those of you who don't know who Sergio was, l invite you to read about one of the heros of the modern business world.

We can thank Sergio for icons such as the Viper Gen IV, the Hellcat's and Demon's, the Grand Cherokee SRT, amazing Ferraris such as LaFerrari, Maseratis, Fiats, Jeeps and the list goes on and on. Today is a very sad day in the automotive community.

As for myself, Everytime I see a rounded cloud in the sky I'll surely think that it's just Sergio doing burnouts and doughnuts in the celestial vault in his Hellcat...

#56 Mr.Source, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2018
  17. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

18. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

When I saw the Chrysler engineering heritage in the Firefly engine series, I knew the Fiat Chrysler relationship was well orchestrated.

Bravo, Maestro!

19. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Man, that is terrible news. RIP.

20. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Well-Known Member

Rest in peace Signore Marchionne ! Your legacy will hold a special spot in FCA's Future and my condolences to his family and his significant other and to all the FCA Family. Keep the Dodge Brothers and Walter P in check in heaven Sergio !

y2kyamr6 likes this.