AF: FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne, 66, has died | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne, 66, has died

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by cygnus, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Stomper

Stomper Well-Known Member

Sad news indeed. My condolences to his friends and family.

2. danbek

danbek Well-Known Member

Thank you Mr. Source.......with a tear in my eye.....

3. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

RIP kind sir.

4. Bobpantax

Bobpantax Well-Known Member

Sad news. May his family and loved ones be comforted by their memories of him. But, look at the bright side. He put Chrysler and Fiat together successfully and saved Chrysler in the process. Imagine what he can do up there with G-d's help. He will be missed.

guyverfanatic and ScramFan like this.
  5. Clinton H Davis

Clinton H Davis Well-Known Member

I never met him, but thanks to him I got own two modern Challengers and experience drag racing first hand.

He seemed like a businessman with a working class work ethic. In my opinion, the world needs more of that.

Darn shame dying that young...

6. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Well-Known Member

I shed a tear. 14 years of his life, until the last gasp, the last fiber, with immense commitment he engaged with the company and on the day of the presentation of the quarterly rate died.
    He did something that many thought and said was impossible to achieve. Even I doubted the possibility at times. I am thankful that because of him we have a great Italian Alfa Romeo brand as it was in danger of being swallowed and diluted into a Germanic flavor. Not just Alfa though he revived almost every other brand both Italian and American with the exception of Lancia.

Working at the speed of light was the only way but it finally burned the light in him out...... May he get his naturally aspirated Ferrari V12 in heaven.

eaglecars, cygnus, Prabhjot and 3 others like this.
  7. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Editor-in-Chief's Note (6:00 a.m. 7/25): I wrote this column early Monday morning, when the extent of Sergio Marchionne's condition was not known, except that it was very serious. And when more detailed reports emerged, it was clear that the situation with Sergio was dire. The very sad news today is that Sergio Marchionne has passed away at the age of 66. As I said in my column, the likelihood that we will see another CEO like him is slim and none. He was the most colorful, shoot-from-the-lip leader this industry has seen in a long time. And even though I was his most consistent critic by far, I appreciated his passion, vision and enduring optimism. CEOs who tell it like it is, or how they think it is, are a lost and unique art. And there’s no question that Sergio Marchionne was artfully unique. Our deepest sympathies go out to Sergio's family and friends, and the people of FCA. -PMD (Peter DeLorenzo)

8. Aspenrt

Aspenrt Well-Known Member

Truly, one of the auto industry's most passionate leaders. Rest In Peace, Mr. M.

eaglecars likes this.
  9. hmk123

Level III Supporter

"It is the hottest fires that make the hardest steel". He was imported into Detroit to lead the Phoenix out of the ashes. Every time I will get into my Mopar and start its engine I will try to think of him and acknowledge that nothing should be taken for granted. Drive proud.

10. WXman

WXman Active Member

Yes, they could even just put a subtle "SM" decal or emblem somewhere on all the 2019 models. Would be a very cool gesture. I'd love to see a 2019 Hellcat with a "SM" stamped on it. FCA loves to hide easter eggs. Here's their chance to do the coolest one yet.

V6305, danbek, AmbassadorSST and 2 others like this.
  11. jorisr

jorisr Well-Known Member

I read a very telling story in the "reader mail" section on the autoextremist website:
    "The Dedicated Sergio.

Thank you for a great summary today on Sergio. While I have never been one of Sergio's fans, I heard an interesting story last year about him, told to me face to face by an FCA employee who was working nights at the Kokomo manufacturing plant. This “True Believer” told me that Sergio had encouraged the FCA associates to contact him directly if they needed support on a process improvement idea. This particular employee was working nights, and at 3:00 am he sent Sergio an email about a potential process improvement idea. Sergio responded within 15 minutes and gave him guidance on how to pursue the idea. The employee was surprised at the quick response in the middle of the night and assumed Sergio was in Italy, but he learned later that Sergio was in Detroit at the time. He certainly was a dedicated CEO.

John B.
    Houston, Texas"

12. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

13. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

14. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the video.

I think I finally understand the rationale of bringing back Fiat to North America. Marchionne was no idiot.....he knew full well that Fiat was never going to have any significant volume....and that Fiat was basically brought over for the sake of optics with the government of the day, as well as whatever small effect it would have on fleet CAFE.

It's rather like a baseball team "carrying" a center-fielder who can't hit the ball for love or money because his excellent defensive skills so vastly outweigh his inability to hit.

15. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Agree... Thank you @Mr.Source

danbek likes this.
  16. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

I think Marchionne's genius can be summed up in this excerpt from Bill Vlasic's excellent book "Once Upon A Car." Tom Lasorda was searching for a small car partner and he ended up eating lunch with Marchionne in Italy:

"Marchionne looked at him and got very serious. "Can you survive if sales in the U.S. go below ten million a year?" he said bluntly. "Because if you can't, then I think you've got an issue."

LaSorda wasn't sure he'd heard right. Annual sales hadn't dropped below ten million in the American car market for twenty-five years. For the past five, it had been well above sixteen million. Marchionne was talking about a 40 percent drop-not exactly possible.

"We're pretty sure we're going to be around fourteen, fifteen million," LaSorda said. "And we'll be fine at that."

Marchionne let it pass. Lunch was almost over. He liked the engine plant in Brazil and blessed that deal. And he liked LaSorda, who he figured must be capable if Dieter Zetsche had trusted him to run Chrysler. But Marchionne was pretty cynical about the company's chances. He knew Chrysler's feast-or-famine history. He saw it as a wounded animal that could perish in a harsh business climate.

"Tom, let me tell you something," he said. "I'm a lot more negative about future sales volumes than you are. In fact, the numbers you are talking about are outlandish. If you think your salvation is coming from the market numbers, you're wrong. You have to not be able to bleed to death at ten million to make it."

Marchionne's assessment was pretty raw. This guy is a piece of work, LaSorda thought, a real prophet of doom. But the rest of the lunch was all very pleasant. Marchionne invited him to come back to Italy with Bob Nardelli. Maybe then they could talk some more. "We might be able," he said, "to do some business together."

How did Sergio see the future? It always amazes me that he picked up on the coming of the greatest economic crash since the Great Depression and almost everybody else missed it. We've lost a truly a unique individual.

17. Prabhjot

Prabhjot Active Member

Well, afaik he was a board member of UBS bank, no less, that plus his time at fiat group (which had struggled through successfully by then, thanks largely to marchionne, the effects of the european monetary union, the euro, the europewide tight fiscal policies enforced as a correlate....)

Do remember that Fiat Group were entirely familiar, and very much in-depth-and-detail, with Chrysler Corp's and usa auto market's boom-and-bust history, not just due to Daimler's messing it up, but because at a peak of Chrysler corp's success in around 1990/91, Bob Lutz and Steve Miller (either or both of whom ought to'v been made ceo/successor to Iacocca) had worked very intensively on SELLING it, cash rich though it was, in toto to FIAT Group, but Gianni Agnelli said no at the very end, scared off by Chrysler Corp ultra-large healthcare and pension worker liabilities. Precisely why the sale was pursued avidly by Lutz+Miller, alongwith the prerennial Chrysler corp problem of having a deficiency of scale economics, mainly due to too low a level of 'globalization'.

Talk about 'counterfactual history'....who knows Chrysler may not have needed the redemption via bailout, uaw 'sacrifices' and mostly via Marchionne, +debt-load reducing Ferrari spinoff etc, had Lutz and Miller succeeded in convincing Gianni Agnelli. No Daimler traumatic interlude, FIAT group had historically been very humbly cosmopolitan, doing a great inter-'cultural' job of managing cross-country JV-s etc, even before the singularly cosmopolitan Marchionne years.

ScramFan likes this.
  18. Dragonkat

Dragonkat Active Member

My condolences go out to his family and friends. Sad news