Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA closes a mixed 2017‚ down 11%

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jan 3, 2018.

1. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Must be an extremely light refresh then. Just for the record, I don't think anyone was trying to be disingenuous with the cost or need to recertify. It was verified, but years ago at this point, that some of the most innocuous changes required costly retesting/certifications.

Ian likes this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

That is what FCA’s website says:
    Mid Atlantic consumer cash $6000
    300/300c retail bonus cash $2000
    Some models have a $500 returning lessee
    Only notes are residency restrictions, take delivery by 1/31/18. And applies to returning FCA US customers.

Doesn’t sound like stacked mutually exclusive incentives to me. But then anyone could go to the web and see for themselves what is in their area.

somber likes this.
  3. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Generally if you stay away from real structural changes you can avoid the need to crash test and the primary driver of EPA cert is going to be a change to the power-train. Even if there are a few changes that require FMVSS certification that can be accomplished by submitting some papers from any necessary testing already done for Europe.

4. Ian

Ian Car Freak

We got the excuse that it would be too expensive to make a 300 SRT because of the cost of certification, etc etc etc...i'm sure they would've sold about that if not more. Double standards for Fiat.
    The 500L has now an Aisin 6-speed auto, I thought it had the dual clutch? A different transmission should require re-certification?

5. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

No it doesn't. For fun I set my zip to Pittsburgh and couldn't find a single vehicle that qualified for either the $8000 or $6000 consumer cash....

6. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Yes, but that change was back in 2016, not a part of this refresh....

JayhawkOne and Ian like this.
  7. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

There's not many out there but there are some dealers. There's one car in 75 miles (going off of Chrysler website that will cover up to 8k.

8. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I can only guess today is the first day for some of the incentives.
    Even the build and price only showed $6k at first, but the summary showed $8k.

9. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

ah... I only looked 25 miles out.... Still hardly an accurate representation of discounting if only 1 car in 75 miles.... Seems around 3-4K is more the norm...

10. valiant67

Level III Supporter

I looked at a few 300's online and everyone that had details on the 300 discounts were advertising specials that ended 1/2/2018.
    It's obvious the dealers haven't updated their websites yet.

DAGAR likes this.
  11. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Mine is an outlier, We get cars super late. I'm sure if i looked 100+ miles out i'd find a ton more in northern va

12. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Average incentive of FCA was 400$ above the industry average. It was below the incentives of Ford, GM, BMW, Mercedes and Nissan.
    I don't know why some people like to use "incentives" as the sole excuse for some vehicles selling. The profit margins and average incentive for a month are known.
    Go check the relevant Autonews article about December sales about it. It's more accurate than anecdotal and extremely localized evidence.

AlfaCuda and jorisr like this.
  13. valiant67

Level III Supporter

Incentives play a huge role. Most people like to buy things on sale. That's basic economics 101.
    Let's see:
    This summer incentives were high on Challenger. And everyone was gloating about how high Challenger sales were.
    Challenger incentives are lower now and Challenger sales are down.

You can see Cherokee sales go up and down as incentives are increased or decreased.
    Look at how 200 sales plummeted when the incentives were moved to Cherokee.

To deny this is to deny basic human behavior.

14. Charger383

Charger383 Active Member

Oh, come on, Man.

The refresh was totally worth it. They sold 9 more 500L's this December versus last year!

UN4GTBL, Ian, jerseyjoe and 1 other person like this.
  15. Charger383

Charger383 Active Member

Oh, come on, Man.

The refresh was totally worth it. They sold 9 more 500L's this December versus last year!

Lol, 80K.

The Dart / Viaggio was selling considerably better than that -- and was considered a sales dud.

UN4GTBL and Ian like this.
  16. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

OK, the refresh isn't out yet and there's a big difference between building the 500L primarily for Europe in a plant that would be less utilized without it and building the Dart in a plant that is now being used to build a better selling option in a better category and that needed to be moved to get JL to market quicker.... I get the sentiment, but there's really no comparison to be made.

17. Ingvar

Ingvar Active Member

I don't get all the whining about Fiat in the US, the brand was brought to the US to set up a dealership network for Alfa Romeo, to be like Alfa's Mini, sales of the Fiat brand by itself are of no importance just as Mini's sales are of no importance.

BASONE88 and ScramFan like this.
  18. valiant67

Level III Supporter

Except that isn't what happened. Most Fiat dealerships did not get Alfa. Then they started putting Alfa franchises with Maserati.

And it is relevant. It's an expensive endeavor, both the the dealers that set up the studios and now for FCA that is subsidizing those studios.
    It's especially relevant because cost savings seem to be the prime objective now (supposed to get to net debt zero), so much that other more products have been cancelled or delayed to save money.

somber and Erik Latranyi like this.
  19. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

I would like FIAT to make profits and sell here but not at the expense of holding back MOPARs especially the 300.

somber and Ian like this.
  20. Ingvar

Ingvar Active Member

Do you have the data on that? From what I've seen most Alfa dealerships are also Fiat dealerships.