NewsNew Pacifica trim to hit sweet spot? • Does the Demon stop faster than the Camaro ZL1? • More Waymo Pacificas; public to test

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA dead last in latest JD Power Customer Service study

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by aldo90731, Mar 17, 2017.

1. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged Level III Supporter

This is why people buy the Renegade over the Cherokee despite the price difference being fairly small. The Renegade is a "fun" lifestyle vehicle. Despite not being fast, it's still fun in the sense that you're buying into the adventurous ad campaign. Living like a "Renegade" is a major part of the advertising and image associated with the Renegade.

The Cherokee, on the other hand, gives off a much more "family friendly" vibe.

2. Smitman

Smitman Member

hmk123 and Bajanbuoy like this.
  3. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

I've said this a hundred times. No there isn't. Not in the way you infer, at least.

4. Smitman

Smitman Member

Yes i understand. It just surprises me that i have had such great experiences with my dealer, and FCA products as have most friends i know who are FCA customers. But i am not privy to the information that you have. Since i am a fan of FCA products, i might have a little bias myself!

aldo90731 likes this.
  5. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

FCA was the largest volume automaker in 2016, closely followed by Ford; GM was a distant third. Within that context, here is some personal observations having just dealt with Jeep and GMC dealers here in BC, Canada:

GMC experience
    • The GMC dealer has fully enclosed service bays where you can pull in away from the weather. They can write up to ten vehicles at a time in a heated/air conditioned environment.
    • Offering a shuttle is standard part of the service order write up and gets entered into the system, so there are no miss-communications.
    • They showed me the service order, explained which charges were covered and which ones weren't and provided an ETA.
    • Every service adviser keeps a copy of the CSI survey on the desk facing the customer, so the customer knows one may be coming his/her way.
    Jeep experience
    • The Jeep dealer down the street has barely any customer parking, has no enclosed area to receive the vehicles, they can only receive two vehicles at a time under a roof but out in the open
    • There never was any offer for transportation
    • No charges were explained
    • ETA was provided only upon request
    • There was no indication that a survey may be coming

Ian likes this.
  6. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Active Member

I can't speak of any GMC dealers in my area, but I can for Chrysler dealers. Although, it's been a while since I've been to most of them. FOr this purpose, I'll just discuss the one that we have used regularly since 1990 (with a few exceptions)
    • Fully enclosed service receiving area (for 4 vehicles), and quick oil change drive-thru (1 vehicle in progress, 1 vehicle waiting) as well
    • Standard shuttle offering
    • They do a walk around the vehicle (check for any pre-existing damage, and get odometer, etc) and ask what it is coming in for
    • Service order always shown to me for review before I authorize it by signing it
    • ETA usually provided
    • No mention of a survey in probably 10+ years now, although have occasionally received a follow up phone call.
    • Free car wash (I always turn this down as it's a "scratch & wash" [that has damaged my car previously, of which they fixed, no questions asked] vs a touchless wash)

Recently, my parents had their van into a dealer in Florida for an oil change and a new battery, and I received a phone call the next day by a real person who wanted to check to make sure all was good. I was very impressed by that.

7. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Since we're talking about dealer experiences:

My friend owns a Hyundai Santa Fe which is recently off warranty. They took it to the dealer for regular service and seasonal inspection and got an estimate back for over $6500 worth of repairs to the suspension and steering systems.

I told him to take it to a local independent shop that I trust. He just emailed me and said the shop told him the majority of that estimate isn't required. It does need some work (ball joints and rear shocks) but they estimated about $1000 - not the $6500 their dealer came up with.

So there's the Hyundai ownership/dealership experience for you.

hmk123, Ian, dakota21 and 2 others like this.
  8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic Level 2 Supporter

Yes, bodily effluent discharge ports ([I should have my mouth washed out with soap for using such terms] hole) come in all brands and varieties. The problem is finding an independent mechanic that you trust. If you can find one, they're worth their weight in gold.

Ian likes this.
  9. Ian

Ian Car Freak

We have an independent mechanic I used to go to and that my mom still goes, he replaced the rear brakes on her Dart a few weeks ago only to find the caliper pins so dry that the caliper is now sticking and rear brakes were smoking last weekend. Sometimes, you just trust too much.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  10. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

Anecdotal evidence is irrelevant. There are good FCA dealers. But the numbers in these reports do not lie. FCA customer service is worse than Hyundai.

You don't have to like it, but not accepting it is like denying the Earth is round.

11. DAGAR

DAGAR Member

Wait what? It's round?! I thought it was flat... Yep just looked out the window and it's definitely flat! :p

12. hmk123

hmk123 Active Member Level III Supporter

It's not only flat. It's flat, hot, crowded and shrinking... :)

13. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged Level III Supporter

Yes, FCA customer service is bad but anecdotal evidence is not irrelevant. You're discounting every story posted in this thread when you say that. The Hyundai experience above just proves that other brands have bad dealerships too.

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic Level 2 Supporter

I think what gets lost in the telling of anecdotal stories about experiences at other manufacturer dealerships is that it really doesn't help what YOU'RE doing or not doing for your customers. Yes, Hyundai may have some bad dealers...maybe a lot of them. Who knows, who cares? How does that help you improve your dealership experiences and the quality/reliability of your vehicles?

You're ultimately competing against yourself. If you're continuously monitoring customer satisfaction (and that can be hard to define sometimes), then you're continuously monitoring your quality processes and looking for ways to improve over what you achieved previously. It's a constant battle, especially in a fluid market with high tech equipment and vehicles.

Yes, you're competing with other manufacturers for the hearts and minds of consumers, but competing with them doesn't change your scores. Taking care of your own house, and perhaps borrowing what works from competitors is the way to move up the ladder...and then continual effort to keep moving forward and not falling back down.

15. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

Anecdotal evidence is as pointless as posting your own fuel economy figures.

There is a reason we use EPA numbers to compare vehicles and not "stories". That is the same reason we use customer satisfaction surveys if thousands of customers instead of one person's "story".

Nobody ever claimed other brands do not have dealers that give bad service anymore than anyone claims other brands do not have quality problems......it is these reports which allow us to compare them in a way that is better than swapping "stories".

Oh, and before you try to put other words in my mouth, I never said these surveys were perfect either.....but several separate surveys, when taken together, do paint a clear picture that FCA sucks.