NewsThis really is the 2018 Wrangler “JL” • Red vs black keys: Real-world Hellcat performance • Windsor loses Transport

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA dead last in latest JD Power Customer Service study

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by aldo90731, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

You are missing the point of the our sarcasm.

Second, this survey is about customer service, not detailed quality (like the last JD Power thread). This is about how dealers treat customers.

Your point about Lincoln vs Ford illustrates the difference in their rankings here.

2. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Oh I know it was sarcastic, that why there was a "lol" and a ;)

3. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Active Member Level III Supporter

It still boggles my mind how there can be a 30 point gap between Chrysler and Jeep. There are no or very few Jeep stand alone stores. Most stores have all 4 brands. You can't tell me that I treat my Jeep customers any differently than I do my Ram, Dodge or Chrysler customers.....

4. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Member

Whatever the reasons may be. FCA needs to fix the problem of being last if they have control over it. Customer service is certainly one of them.

saltydog, aldo90731 and Ian like this.
  5. Ian

Ian Car Freak

They've been for years...not sure what it will take to change that...

aldo90731 likes this.
  6. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

Yes. The more problems you have with your Jeep, the greater the chances you will find out how incompetent the service dept. really is.

Lexus and Buick's way to keep customers happy is don't make them have to come in in the first place.

The survey has a bunch of different attributes which are then collapsed with statistical analysis into 4-6 factors; these are the regressed against some overall measure like Satisfaction. From that regression they get different weights for each factor, which go to calculate the overall score.

I don't recall if it is a linear scale. But the sample sizes on the service study are massive compared to the quality and sales experience studies

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Alexbucks likes this.
  7. Rick Anderson

Rick Anderson Active Member

The thread on JD Powers quality surveys and FCA being at the bottom also, got into poor Dealership service and a few things opened my eyes. Like FCA shorting the book rate on warranty work, being slowed to pay out warranty claims, etc, etc....

So yes, I'm very willing to believe FCA is treating the Dealerships like crap and then are surprised when the Dealer don't take the losses and turn around and treat the customers like crap.

But the Manufacturer has to hold the Dealerships feet to the fire, and I can also easily believe that holding Dealerships feet to the fire also hurts the manufacturer. When its only a couple, not a lot of pain for the manufacturer, but when they've let things progress to the point its almost all the Dealerships, then its too late and they will really suffer if they try to turn it around by making all the Dealerships hurt.

And Valiant, I've got to think the reason why a big multi-brand, multi-dealership owner has good service at one brand's Dealership he owns and then poor service at another brand's Dealership he also owns, is because he knows he can get away with it at one but NOT the other. He knows the Manufacturer would be coming down on him hard if lets service slip at the Lincoln Dealership, but the Jeep/Dodge Dealership, he knows the manufacturer doesn't care and he's not making any money anyway with how FCA shorts the labor hours on the jobs and waits months to pay out warranty claims, etc...

Alexbucks, MPE426HEMI, GasAxe and 2 others like this.
  8. Rick Anderson

Sadly, the reason why my own personal ownership experience with Dodge and Jeep products is so much better than the complainers, is because I avoid the Dealerships like the plague and prefer to do repairs and maintenance myself. And yes, because its a hobby for me, and thus I've become knowledgeable, which is an advantage over others that don't have those talents and inclinations.

Roadram, JavelinAMX, jimboy and 2 others like this.
  9. BASONE88

BASONE88 Member Supporter

Right? The same helpful or unhelpful service-guy is as likely(possibly) helping the Wrangler customer as the 300M customer. The two owners could potentially be sitting in the same waiting room. It's Mopar in both vehicles! It is the same company. Hell, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to pop in with your 500 Abarth - because it's convenient.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

I have heard Lexus horror stories, but usually I hear the “Nordstrom story” — “I buy a lexus because when it needs service, I drive it in, they give me a loaner, I come back a day or two later, at my convenience, and they give me my car back — washed inside and out. There’s no waiting in lines, no 20 minute delay for paperwork, and they actually fix it.”

At most dealerships, there is no comparison between the way they treat you when you show up with an entry level car and the way you get treated in a car they care about - Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, Ram, and sometimes high-end Chrysler.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  11. GaryS

GaryS Active Member

I receive JD Powers surveys every time I buy a new car and I do fill them out, but I really don't pay any attention to the results since I don't believe anything passed off as news anymore. If I consider something important to understand, I first do a huge amount of research to validate the claims, and often discover there are huge failures in collection methods and interpretation of data. On top of that, lying, cheating and nastiness have become the normal way for people to communicate and deal with each other, so facts don't mean much. Welcome to the Internet Age.

FWIW, I've bought several new cars from a local family owned dealership that has been fantastic in both sales and service. For twenty years they have been outstanding, but after my last oil change I left there livid with anger over both the service department and the sales staff. I don't know if I'll ever go back again, but my experience with other dealers has been worse, so I probably will after I've had a chance to cool down for a few months. The difference is that the next time I will have a chip on my shoulder that will greatly influence how I interact with everyone, and I'm sure it will affect my ratings on the survey.

12. Rick Anderson

And when an owner has one minor problem with a vehicle, but has to take it back to the dealership 4 times with lots of conflict and angst before its finally corrected is going to mark a survey, instead of one minor problem, as instead 4 major problems with the vehicle in the first year of ownership.

Again, when you're an employee at the Dealership and you know you're going to get shorted on the payout for the warranty work and wait months before getting paid, or hassled by the Manufacturer for costs of pleasing the customer, you're likely to instead try to snow the customer into paying for the repair, or if you're the tech, cut big corners doing the job, so you can get paid a reasonable amount instead of getting shorted in pay because you did the job right.

UN4GTBL, somber, Dave Z and 2 others like this.
  13. aldo90731

The difference is Jeep has been conquesting like mad, as their sales attest. These are either first-time buyers with high expectations shaped at the Apple Store, or coming from competing brands and, thus, used to better treatment. Jeep also has had recent launches that have been problematic, bringing those customers into the dealer for warranty work.

Chrysler is shrinking which be definition means any existing customers are loyal. These people have experience with dealerships. Moreover, they have an established relationship with their service adviser, the manager or even the owner. If they have a problem, they know who to call to make it happen. Chrysler only has two models: the 300 is a known commodity by now, and as far as I can tell, Pacifica launch has gone relatively smoothly.

UN4GTBL, Erik Latranyi and Ian like this.
  14. aldo90731

This was my experience with my brother's Renegade. I visited them for a month and was asked to drop off the Renegade for a whistling sound coming from the top of the front doors. The first time I dropped it off was in fact the second attempt at fixing the wind noise; the dealer returned the Jeep with greasy fingerprints all over the front windows as they replaced the fixed window next to the A-pillar. That didn't fix the whistling so my sister-in-law had to go and argue with the service dept.; they claimed it had been fixed, then that they didn't have the right part and had to order it. I dropped off the Jeep one last time before coming back so I don't know if it was fixed.

But it shouldn't have to take this much drama to fix something that simple. Further, it shouldn't take stories and arguments with service dept. for them to do their job.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    UN4GTBL, Alexbucks and Dave Z like this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

Doesn't it mean the customers are NOT loyal?

UN4GTBL, Ian and aldo90731 like this.