NewsKeeping the (valve lift) pressure up • Behind the Jeep/Ram spinoff chatter • Demon to beat Exorcist?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA dead last in latest JD Power Customer Service study

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by aldo90731, Mar 17, 2017.

1. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

LOL. Chrysler is shrinking mostly because it lost its midsize sedan!

But I see your point. The fact is, owner loyalty numbers skyrocket as sales decline because conquests are the first to disappear. So, the ratio of buyers who traded in a same-make model balloons.

This is why GM kept boasting of having the highest loyalty in the industry as it marched towards bankruptcy.

Ian likes this.
  2. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

Apparently death by bankruptcy doesn't even put the fear into them.

aldo90731 and Ian like this.
  3. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave Staff Member Supporter

That’s a huge assumption... I think it's a good rule of thumb but I'd hate to apply it to anyone in particular. If customers are unhappy with their cars and/or dealers, Chrysler might attract new people with styling and utility, but they may not come back.

Jeep CJs, for years and years and years, had a typical customer who came in, bought ONE Jeep, and never came back!

MPE426HEMI likes this.
  4. GasAxe

GasAxe Active Member

Well duh, Dave. That's 'cause CJ's are best vehicle ever. No need to ever get anything else!:D

BASONE88 likes this.
  5. BASONE88

BASONE88 Member Supporter

I think you're on to something. Maybe, to put it another way, since FCA(Jeep) is conquest selling..these customers are in an acclimation state. So these scores reflect an adjustment to the new brand(it's not that the service is bad so much as it is different).;)

6. aldo90731

LOL I like your optimism.

7. aldo90731

I haven't seen Chrysler loyalty numbers in awhile. I was going by the fact that 300 has traditionally attracted an older buyer, who tends to be more loyal. Then again, I hear Pacifica is attracting Millennials.

But the math usually works that way: when sales decline, by definition the last people to leave are the most loyal.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  8. BASONE88

BASONE88 Member Supporter

This is possible anywhere grease is present. I doubt that CDJR dealers are anymore - full of careless & greasy-heathens - than elsewhere.

9. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

Wait.......I know why FCA is at the bottom of every JD Power survey......Doug Betts! He was fired from FCA because they scored at the bottom in JD Power and now Doug is out to get them......so he changed the results and put FCA at the bottom of the JD Power results! /sarc

UN4GTBL, saltydog, Doug D and 3 others like this.
  10. mentalicca

mentalicca Member Level III Supporter

Remember, a lot of this is service related. You know what would be interesting (but difficult as heck to pull off). Having unbiased "reviewers" go in for the same service at different dealers and record the experience.

Start simple, routine oil change. Record the price, service personnel interaction, and any other items worth noting. Not putting a rating on it, just a "this is what happened" analysis. Then maybe we can analyze what the difference is objectively to see if the dealers are doing something decidedly different.

Cherokee owner goes in to a CDJR dealer service center
    Escape owner goes to a Ford dealer service center
    CX-5 owner goes to a Mazda dealer
    etc. etc. etc.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  11. aldo90731

What you describe is called "mystery shopping". There are research firms that specialize in it, albeit it is very expensive.

12. Skinpine

Skinpine Member

I can only speak of CDJR, Toyota and Ford. I own or have owned these in the past five years, all purchased new. With oil changes, Toyota washed my car, Ford performed a thorough written safety inspection and replenished fluids and CDJR just changes my oil. Warranty work was not required on the Ford, Toyota and Chrysler experience was about the same. My Ford dealer always did a follow up phone call about the service experience.

The only dealer who has ever delivered a car back to me with greasy fingerprints on it was CDJR after warranty work.

I would not consider any of the four CDJR dealers I have purchased from and used for service or repairs bad dealers. But they are not up to the level of service I have received from Ford.

aldo90731 and jimboy like this.
  13. mentalicca

mentalicca Member Level III Supporter

Yeah I know the term, just wasn't sure it really happened in this particular industry.

14. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

In the beginning Chrysler product owners were do it yourselfers, reasons: least expensive brand and very easy to fix. Just look at a flat head 6, park plugs in the open on top of the motor. My dad was an aircraft mechanic so cars were simple stuff. Todays vehicles are rapidly approaching aircraft complexity and expense.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  15. Alexbucks

Alexbucks Member

I can speak of one really bad CDJR experience where they waited 40 minutes to get back to me with a brochure and information about 300. That was truly lazy, and awful.