NewsDoes the Demon stop faster than the Camaro ZL1? • More Waymo Pacificas; public to test • Is this the new Chrysler crossover?

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA dead last in latest JD Power Customer Service study

Discussion in 'Mopar News and Rumors' started by aldo90731, Mar 17, 2017.

1. dakrt99

dakrt99 Active Member

Have they cancelled NYIAS yet? Maybe they should, they are dead last. If not, no one will show up to the press event because how can you respect a company that is dead last in Customer Service?

npaladin2000 likes this.
  2. DarkSky

DarkSky Fully Charged Level III Supporter

Maybe you're right. Maybe they should also just totally shut down the company and not even try to improve their reputation by releasing new vehicles. That would definitely help matters.

desavona likes this.
  3. Ian

Ian Car Freak

I am really liking Buick as well, my favorite GM brand ( i'm 31 yrs old) My mother in law has a Trax and it drives really nice and handles well too.

Same here. I had doubts during bankruptcy but it's worst now. With the cancellation of the 200 and Dart, Grand Caravann on it's last leg, lots of delays and not knowing when the new, promissed products are coming, it's not good days for fans. IMO, his brand restructuration is not going as planned.

Local dealer association autoshow, FCA dealers had 8 vehicles between CDJR and Fiat while Alfa was absent. No 300, Durango, 500....

Citation84 and Zagnut27 like this.
  4. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Active Member

@aldo90731

I don't know the proper names for all the JDPower rankings; as I recall there is this one and - am I right - three others (four total)?

Nevertheless, my question is : Is there an amalgam of the full range of the rankings which would more completely rate brand/model standing and state in a single finding ?

5. aldo90731

aldo90731 Active Member Level III Supporter

Their main studies are:
    • IQS - Initial Quality Study: conducted 90 days after purchase to measure quality of the vehicle upon delivery
    • VDS - Vehicle Dependability Study: conducted 3 years from purchase to measure in-warranty quality
    • APEAL - Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout: conducted as part of the IQS survey to capture delight points, as oppose to problems. This is supposed to measure the emotional quality of a vehicle. Chrysler used to do better in this study.
    • CSI - Customer Service Index: don't recall the timeframe, but includes both warranty and for-pay service visits
    • SSI - Sales Satisfaction Index: captures satisfaction with the purchase process. This is the least relevant of all their studies because buyers will put up with a lot, and drive far, to save a few thousand dollars
    Historically, Toyota and Honda excelled at IQS and VDS, and sucked at everything else. But as the latest CSI shows, Toyota has been working hard to improve its service experience.

No, there's no summary compilation of scores. However, Strategic Vision issues its annual Total Quality Award, which is an all-emcompassing (albeit convoluted) measure of everything: the good, the bad and the ugly, into one number. I used this study at Mitsubishi years ago. I am more proficient in statistics than the average person, and had Dr. Edwards, the founder, explain his calculations. But they were hard-to-follow, which made them hard to implement inside an automaker. Chrysler has traditionally done better in this study. But I haven't been following how FCA does in it anymore.

And then there are all kinds of other studies from Polk (on loyalty), Kelly Blue Book (on resale), Edmunds, our friends at Consumer Reports, etc. Even Cars.com is now issuing rankings and ratings.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  6. ramajama

ramajama Member

The top four brands are all huge POS's...just shows how out of touch these rankings are. In these days and times, there's really no brand that carries the standard for reliability and service. All brand's dealerships are getting their a$zes kicked. A lot of Ford F-150 boys on the forum I still follow Are crying the blues over transfer case problems....they are bawling over how Ford doesnt stand behind their products, Im going to buy a Toyota,,,,blah blah blah. Things are rough all over.

But as for me, all my RAMs have been solid and dealer service and customer service have all been fine when needed....extremely rarely.

Roadram likes this.
  7. ramajama

ramajama Member

Its not called Stync fer nothin. Im so glad I dont have to deal with that system anymore...

8. Citation84

Citation84 Member

I have to find out how FCA does in the "surprise and delight" category. /s Such a driver of consumer choice, that.

9. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

As @aldo90731 said, Chrysler always scored high in that category because they had styling that was emotional, controversial and desirable. Chrysler always had technology ahead of everyone else as well that helped them score high.

aldo90731, Citation84 and MPE426HEMI like this.
  10. geraldg

geraldg Active Member Ad-Free Member

I remember when Chrysler was ahead of everybody else as to technology that is why I became a Chrysler fan. Now they are just a name, remember they are a division not a company. What a shame that one of the leaders is now at the bottom.

jerseyjoe, aldo90731 and JavelinAMX like this.
  11. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Well-Known Member Level III Supporter

In fairness, it is more and more difficult to stay ahead anymore. Technology in vehicles is maturing. People like navigation systems, Bluetooth phone connections, etc. I am not sure what else they can do to be more cutting edge at this point. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will give them a big advantage.

12. geraldg

geraldg Active Member Ad-Free Member

How you stay ahead is to build a quality product with a great warranty and rate high in polls to the consumer. I have a 2000 Dodge Intrepid and it still looks good today. Also you innovate your product. The Chrysler 300 is proof of that.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  13. Ian

Ian Car Freak

The LH cars still look very good. Their styling has aged really well. Love those 2nd generation Intrepid.

Roadram, jerseyjoe, saltydog and 3 others like this.
  14. MPE426HEMI

MPE426HEMI Active Member

Yes, the couple that I still see on the road today fit right in, even in 2017. Amazing! This was typical Chrysler.

Roadram, jerseyjoe, Ian and 2 others like this.
  15. Citation84

Citation84 Member

Erik, I don't think it's something that can be gauged, regardless of the truth of your statement. The 3 year reliability studies are the ones that matter most to me.

I may be mistaken, but the "surprise & delight" I always thought seemed to reflect Easter eggs and trendy gadgets rather than what you described.

And I have been wrong before, of course. How is surprise and delight even quantifiable, is my main problem.

Erik Latranyi likes this.